Anyone have a dash Cam in JK?

akershner

Wondering if anyone has experience with a dash cam installed in their JK? Too many close calls and the inherent love for my Jeep have me wanting to get something that could prove useful in the future. Besides documenting in the case of an "accident", I think it would be cool to have something automated that would record POV on trails too. I've read quite a few articles but I know the real expertise lies in this community, anyone have a recommendation?

So far, these are the specs that I'm looking for:

- Continuous loop recording in a micro sd card, start and stop with the ignition key
- G sensor that would automatically save the footage when an abrupt change in movement is recorded
- GPS tag with mph if possible?
- Parking mode that would record if hit while stationary?
- Small and discrete that would mount behind the rearview mirror
- Also thinking that I might want a 2 channel version to record behind the camera as well but not sold on that option yet

What else? Any advice or recommendation would be greatly appreciated of course! Pics if you have them too! Thanks in advance everyone.:2thumbsup:

Havoc40

I don't have anything fancy. Just a GoPro mounted behind the rearview. You can barely see it while driving. For power I ran a USB through the header and down the side panel. This way I can leave the WiFi on to use the remote and not rely on the weak GoPro batteries. The SD card I keep in the camera is strictly for continuous loop recording. When I get into the Jeep, I hit power and record. If I feel like taking it out or using for a trip...I switch out the SD card. Love this set-up.

Just bought a 2nd GoPro to use on the exterior. I installed an LoD rear bumper last week and will be relocating my license plate to the spare. Along with running the wiring for the 3rd brake and license plate, I'm running a USB wire to plug into the 12v source by the sub and then to the GoPro.

Mounted
IMG_1476.jpg

Quick vid of getting stuck in ice covered mud hole above :D
https://youtu.be/2Z1tfVwABPw

Jackal01

Wondering if anyone has experience with a dash cam installed in their JK? Too many close calls and the inherent love for my Jeep have me wanting to get something that could prove useful in the future. Besides documenting in the case of an "accident", I think it would be cool to have something automated that would record POV on trails too. I've read quite a few articles but I know the real expertise lies in this community, anyone have a recommendation?

So far, these are the specs that I'm looking for:

- Continuous loop recording in a micro sd card, start and stop with the ignition key
- G sensor that would automatically save the footage when an abrupt change in movement is recorded
- Parking mode that would record if hit while stationary?
- Small and discrete that would mount behind the rearview mirror
- Also thinking that I might want a 2 channel version to record behind the camera as well but not sold on that option yet

What else? Any advice or recommendation would be greatly appreciated of course! Pics if you have them too! Thanks in advance everyone.:2thumbsup:

I don't have one yet but shit...in the past 3 weeks I have gotten into 2 MVAs. Neither are my fault but the first one the driver won't accept fault and the second one (just yesterday) it took the biker a little bit to calm down and realize he didn't yield to me (the worrisome part was a "witness" that was wanting to give his story albeit he would have been 100% lying). Both times I wish I had a camera because the footage would have settled it on the spot. What sucks is we rarely commute in the Jeep so we would buy a camera for the Mustang we take to work and the Jeep since apparently mine is a shit-magnet.

I hate driving in the city.

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug
I don't have anything fancy. Just a GoPro mounted behind the rearview. You can barely see it while driving. For power I ran a USB through the header and down the side panel. This way I can leave the WiFi on to use the remote and not rely on the weak GoPro batteries. The SD card I keep in the camera is strictly for continuous loop recording. When I get into the Jeep, I hit power and record. If I feel like taking it out or using for a trip...I switch out the SD card. Love this set-up.

Just bought a 2nd GoPro to use on the exterior. I installed an LoD rear bumper last week and will be relocating my license plate to the spare. Along with running the wiring for the 3rd brake and license plate, I'm running a USB wire to plug into the 12v source by the sub and then to the GoPro.

Mounted
View attachment 137309

Which GP do you have. Is it one of the new ones with night mode?

Havoc40

I don't have one yet but shit...in the past 3 weeks I have gotten into 2 MVAs. Neither are my fault but the first one the driver won't accept fault and the second one (just yesterday) it took the biker a little bit to calm down and realize he didn't yield to me (the worrisome part was a "witness" that was wanting to give his story albeit he would have been 100% lying). Both times I wish I had a camera because the footage would have settled it on the spot. What sucks is we rarely commute in the Jeep so we would buy a camera for the Mustang we take to work and the Jeep since apparently mine is a shit-magnet.

I hate driving in the city.

I forgot to add to this. Recently I was involved in an accident. Fortunately I had the GoPro running, because the fella I hit had a completely different story than the truth. Being able to play back the footage to the responding officer was crucial!

Jackal01

I forgot to add to this. Recently I was involved in an accident. Fortunately I had the GoPro running, because the fella I hit had a completely different story than the truth. Being able to play back the footage to the responding officer was crucial!

Nice!

Luckily the first one the LEO couldn't determine fault and the one yesterday we never exchanged info/names/etc. I didn't have damage either time. But a camera would have been nice.

Wardell

There was an article I saw that was giving advise about dashcams... I wish I still had the link, but one of the things it advised was that this in particluar isn't necessary. You don't need a GPS tag because in almost all accidents the location of the accident is not in dispute. Also, having the speed recorded by the camera can actually be a double edge sword and could self incriminate you if you are going even slightly over the speed limit.

akershner

Nice!

Luckily the first one the LEO couldn't determine fault and the one yesterday we never exchanged info/names/etc. I didn't have damage either time. But a camera would have been nice.

My thoughts exactly! Honestly, it's close to f'n mayhem out there. Literally sitting at a 4 way stop sign the other day, made my stop and was clear to go when I notice a car approaching from my right at an even rate of speed. Told my gf to watch this as I decided to wait, the guy blew right through in front of my nose with no hesitation. Had I proceeded as per usual with the right-of-way, t-bone city, and you know the first thing out of the other guy's mouth would have been "it was an accident!" Hate that word with a passion.

akershner

Mounted
View attachment 137309

Love my GoPro, I have the Silver, but I'm thinking I want to go with something more permanent that I can leave in the cab and not have to worry about some dumbass thinking it's worth my shattered window to get their hands on. I'd also like something that just turns on with the ignition, I still use the GoPro a lot but want this to stay fixed. Btw, you look stuuuuuck, how'd you get out?!

Last edited:

Havoc40

Which GP do you have. Is it one of the new ones with night mode?

The one I was using here was a Hero3 Black. That thing doesn't hold a candle to the night mode on the Hero4 Black I just bought (incredible camera). I'll probably end up using the 4 inside the cab and dedicating the 3 for external stuff.

Nice!

It definitely helped. Not only did it help with the officer, it was a deterrent from him leaving the scene because he didn't have insurance. Why he decided to lie when I explained to him that this was all on film before the officer even arrived...was beyond me LOL!

Love my GoPro, I have the Silver, but I'm thinking I want to go with something more permanent that I can leave in the cab and not have to worry about some dumbass thinking it's worth my shattered window to get their hands on. I'd also like something that just turns on with the ignition, I still use the GoPro a lot but want this to stay fixed. Btw, you look stuuuuuck, how'd you get out?!

I hear you on that. Fortunately I'm super busy and my Jeep is either parked at work or at the house. If I'm running a quick errand and "iffy" about the area, I just unclip it and throw it in the SKB case I keep in the back. That night I was with a buddy who has a built TJ Rubicon. Even with his winch, it still took some effort. My 1st clue I was about to enter some deep mud should have been the tires and tree limbs on both banks...oops

tdougherty81

I just started using my phone with a high speed memory card and an app called Auto Guard. My phone is the Note 4 and I have a cradle on the dash so I get a good view. Records location and automatically saves collisions as a file. The rest just loops.

akershner

I just started using my phone with a high speed memory card and an app called Auto Guard. My phone is the Note 4 and I have a cradle on the dash so I get a good view. Records location and automatically saves collisions as a file. The rest just loops.

Hell, that's a good idea too, I never thought of using my phone! Would save a bit of cash too.... but I still want something more permanent and the option to set it in parking mode would be nice to have I guess, just in case some jackass decides to get fresh with my baby while I'm away. Oh yeah, the other issue is that work gives me an iPhone and as we all know, no expandable memory on that brick. I'll have to do some more research and post what I come up with... Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

JDDK

I want a cheap cam to mount underneath for trailspotting that i could wire back for power and plug directly to phone or attach w bluetooth. Any ideas???

jkjurny

Mounted
View attachment 137309

I have this exact setup with a GoPro 3

Jackal01

My buddy has this one in his WK2 and it is nice. http://dashboardcamerareviews.com/a118-tiesfong-b40/ I havent seen video from his camera but I like that it is discreet. Having a soft top I don't want it to be stolen. I don't like removing/hiding things because I am honestly just lazy. But really there is some acceptance to a break-in having a soft top otherwise I wouldn't have a CB sitting above my RVM. GPS, gun and other valudable stay in the lockbox under my seat but a dash cam...I want that thing hidden so I just get in and go. Where I work people watch when we park and see if we hide things so if they see me reach for that camera...game over. So many options out there it is almost disgusting. I despise anyone with their phone in front of their face while behind the wheel especially when moving and my luck I will get hit by one of those asshats and I want video proof of my innocence.

Top Bottom