Sloppy steering after EVO long arm lift

Spudcannons

I just had an EVO long arm lift installed with a FOX ATS steering stabilizer with 35" x12.5" nitto trail grapplers on 17" atx slabs (about 100 pounds each) and my steering is a bit sloppy, a little play before turning when wheel is at center and when going from right to left or left to right. Anyone had a similar issue or have any idea of a solution?

USMCvet

Banned
I just installed a lift, not an EVO, had it aligned and hit the road. I've got the same stabilizer - which really shouldn't matter much. Anyhow, things settled in, needed tightened up, and I was all over the road. I went back through everything, step by step. Make sure everything is torqued down correctly. Square the body with the axle assemblies - adjust the track bars if need be. Now, center the steering wheel by adjusting the drag link. On a flat surface, lift the front and place Jack stands under the front axle making sure it's relatively level. Adjust the tie rod until you have 1/8" of toe in on the front tires. I use a tape measure from the tread edge across the the same point of the front side and the back side until the front side is at toe in. That should get you to an alignment shop without putting you in a ditch. Once you get the hang of it, you can skip the shop all together. But of note, steering stabilizers only mask problems and solve nothing. I really think your lift has just settled in so to speak.

Spudcannons

I just installed a lift, not an EVO, had it aligned and hit the road. I've got the same stabilizer - which really shouldn't matter much. Anyhow, things settled in, needed tightened up, and I was all over the road. I went back through everything, step by step. Make sure everything is torqued down correctly. Square the body with the axle assemblies - adjust the track bars if need be. Now, center the steering wheel by adjusting the drag link. On a flat surface, lift the front and place Jack stands under the front axle making sure it's relatively level. Adjust the tie rod until you have 1/8" of toe in on the front tires. I use a tape measure from the tread edge across the the same point of the front side and the back side until the front side is at toe in. That should get you to an alignment shop without putting you in a ditch. Once you get the hang of it, you can skip the shop all together. But of note, steering stabilizers only mask problems and solve nothing. I really think your lift has just settled in so to speak.

Thanks! I think it probably did settle. It is not enough play to make me concerned about safety but a touch annoying. I am also running 26 psi, is that too low for road/highway use?

USMCvet

Banned
Thanks! I think it probably did settle. It is not enough play to make me concerned about safety but a touch annoying. I am also running 26 psi, is that too low for road/highway use?

Yes that is. At that PSI it will cause the tire to heat up over long distance and the belts to separate. That pressure is fine for mild to mild/moderate trail use, but once back on pavement, air up to proper PSI. Just go back through and tighten everything up and see where it takes you.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
Yes that is. At that PSI it will cause the tire to heat up over long distance and the belts to separate. That pressure is fine for mild to mild/moderate trail use, but once back on pavement, air up to proper PSI. Just go back through and tighten everything up and see where it takes you.

I ran 26-28 psi in my last set of 37s, Goodyear MT/R Kevlar 37/12.50/17, on a 4dr JK for almost 15k miles before I sold that Jeep. No issues at all. Id be worried about the tires getting hot at 12psi, but not 26. 26-28 can be the proper psi, not what is listed on the door jam. The only true way to tell is the chalk test, which is where I got my 28 psi number from. At 35 my tires were overinflated, gave a slightly steering feel, and a significantly rougher ride. I've never ran more than 28 psi in the 35 - 37" tires that were on my last JK. 70k+ miles with frequent why speeds of 70-75mph, without issue.

Last edited:

Spudcannons

I am going to bring it back and have it aligned and re-torqued, inflate to 28 instead of 26psi then see what happens.

noroad

could be a bad draglink end, If you did the evo flip kit then might want to look at the pitman arm side.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
First step I'd do is re-torque every bolt on the front suspension. After that, lay under the front of your jeep while someone is cycling the steering wheel. Look for play in the drag link, track bar, tie rod ends, check everything.

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
First step I'd do is re-torque every bolt on the front suspension. After that, lay under the front of your jeep while someone is cycling the steering wheel. Look for play in the drag link, track bar, tie rod ends, check everything.

Yep....do this. A visual inspection of the front linked components while someone is turning the steering wheel can help determine what the culprit is. I bet its something to do with the drag link end passenger side. Maybe not torqued tight enough or overtorqued which can break the small/crush the adapter inside the knuckle. You have a flipped drag link yes?

CJW

Is this the first time you've had larger mud tires on your jeep? If so that could be your steering slop. They tend to wander a bit compared to the stock size tires.

Top Bottom