PSC Steering

dwmgcs

Found that my steering gear is shot and rather than throw another stock box in I just ordered a PSC Extreme kit and was wondering about the on road feel and handling with this system and also any benefit to having a sector shaft support with this or is it not necessary with the assist.

Found that my steering gear is shot and rather than throw another stock box in I just ordered a PSC Extreme kit and was wondering about the on road feel and handling with this system and also any benefit to having a sector shaft support with this or is it not necessary with the assist.

I love mine. Did you order firm feel? You don't really need the sector shaft support.

Make sure you got the firm kit. It works great but also IMHO you should also have a weld on trackbar bracket. Call us if you have any questions. We stock most of the kits also

dwmgcs

I love mine. Did you order firm feel? You don't really need the sector shaft support.

I did order the firm feel, I assume it will it give more of a "road feel" instead of just the floating feeling. I used to rent a lot of cars back in the '80s and '90s and I would refuse any fords because of the lack of road feel they had, it's kind of unnerving, I don't like the feeling like I'm driving by wire. This will be installed on an '07 2dr, any hints or anything I need to know for this install?

By the way, bummer about your rig and especially so far from home, hope it's not too major

dwmgcs

Make sure you got the firm kit. It works great but also IMHO you should also have a weld on trackbar bracket. Call us if you have any questions. We stock most of the kits also

Good information, I will do that , I also plan to upgrade to tons this next winter but I couldn't wait on the steering gear so I will need to change the cylinder when that happens, minor glitch but I'm fine with it.

I did order the firm feel, I assume it will it give more of a "road feel" instead of just the floating feeling. I used to rent a lot of cars back in the '80s and '90s and I would refuse any fords because of the lack of road feel they had, it's kind of unnerving, I don't like the feeling like I'm driving by wire. This will be installed on an '07 2dr, any hints or anything I need to know for this install?

By the way, bummer about your rig and especially so far from home, hope it's not too major

What tie rod you running? The install is pretty basic just time consuming. If you can have help that would be great since sometimes holding things while trying to place the steering box or pull the tensioner and place the belt, etc is difficult solo. MOST IMPORTANT is tie your steering wheel before removing your pitman arm, etc. If you get misaligned at all you could end up with a clock spring issue. I think that's all that comes to mind but also reach out to panda he has done a few as well.

Thanks about rig. Keeping my fingers crossed.

dwmgcs

What tie rod you running? The install is pretty basic just time consuming. If you can have help that would be great since sometimes holding things while trying to place the steering box or pull the tensioner and place the belt, etc is difficult solo. MOST IMPORTANT is tie your steering wheel before removing your pitman arm, etc. If you get misaligned at all you could end up with a clock spring issue. I think that's all that comes to mind but also reach out to panda he has done a few as well.

I probably should have mentioned it, I have the stock tie rod right now but it is bowed from last weekend and i will need to replace that as well, any recommendations there?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I probably should have mentioned it, I have the stock tie rod right now but it is bowed from last weekend and i will need to replace that as well, any recommendations there?

Currie makes the strongest tie Rod out there but if you plan to go 60's then I would get a factory from crown for about $60 online.

EZ-E

What's the clock spring issue? I installed my PSC Kit about two months ago and probably about 2-3 weeks ago my airbag light started coming on and off. I tied the steering wheel down before starting and it didn't move til after I was done. Just wondering if I messed something up or if my clock spring gave up the ghost coincidentally.

What's the clock spring issue? I installed my PSC Kit about two months ago and probably about 2-3 weeks ago my airbag light started coming on and off. I tied the steering wheel down before starting and it didn't move til after I was done. Just wondering if I messed something up or if my clock spring gave up the ghost coincidentally.

It could be a few things. Your dash lights could come on, airbag, traction control, etc are some of the main ones. When you turn it feels like your winding a spring too far or it may be a small clicking.

dwmgcs

You won't regret it. Best thing I've bought on mine.

Good to know, I hate to buy things twice and with all of the planned upgrades coming next fall/winter it just seems like the right thing to do, appreciate all the input, now I can't wait for it to get here so I can get started!

dwmgcs

Just finished this install yesterday and I love it, had a few minor hickups mostly due to changes I made along the way, one by PSC, they sent me the a TJ pump instead of a JK, but one call and it was taken care of. I also installed a new PR 44 unlimited axle at the same time so I had to do some fab work and I installed a radial two pass cooler, I was surprised how much heat the steering system created in a short time, here is the cooler assembly:
20150507_204338.jpg

and the axle ready to go in:
20150507_204402.jpg

Can't wait to try it out on the trails

Top Bottom