Scariest Roads....

Petthefish

cool read but Lippincott Mine Road is not that scary I guess its a personal perspective thing to me Black Bear Rd in Colorado was more scary

hbkid22

cool read but Lippincott Mine Road is not that scary I guess its a personal perspective thing to me Black Bear Rd in Colorado was more scary

That is true. But thought it was interesting the first one was is CA. But also I am heading to Hawaii in October and we are staying in Maui....I am definitely renting a 4dr Rubi and taking the Road to Hana. :)

Coloradan

That is true. But thought it was interesting the first one was is CA. But also I am heading to Hawaii in October and we are staying in Maui....I am definitely renting a 4dr Rubi and taking the Road to Hana. :)

The Road to Hana was a great drive, I had a Suburban when we drove it. A Jeep would've been much more fun!

hbkid22

The Road to Hana was a great drive, I had a Suburban when we drove it. A Jeep would've been much more fun!

Did you do the full loop or just the main road from the airport and back out? We are staying in wailea so thinking of doing the full loop. Won't be able to stop as much but still.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Lippencott is not bad at all. We made it to the top and watched a suburban attempt to make his way up. Rather comical. He stopped at every turn, got out and looked, drove a few feet, got out and looked and repeated this until he turned around. Lol

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Lippencott is not bad at all. We made it to the top and watched a suburban attempt to make his way up. Rather comical. He stopped at every turn, got out and looked, drove a few feet, got out and looked and repeated this until he turned around. Lol

A friend of mine was in a CJ-5 and going down Black Bear Pass. He came up on a man and a woman in a suburban. The woman was setting out on the ground in front of the burban crying. The guy was standing behind her talking to her. My buddy shut his jeep off and started to get out and check on them. The lady jumped up and started walking down the road and they guy got back in the burban and started down again. He stopped at every switch back and got out and looked.

Maybe it was the same guy. Lol.

dwmgcs

I've driven the road to hana probably 40 times, majority of those times in a Jeep, just remember, if you go the complete loop and anything happens, you are on your own, the rental companies make you sign a waiver when you get your car that says if you go around the back side, where Hana Highway turns into Piilani Highway then they wont come get you or cover any damage to the vehicle and can be liable for the total cost of the vehicle. This is also true on the north loop out of Wailuku going around to Kapalua. I never worry about it, but with that said there are a few areas around the backside with some good trails going down to the ocean with some good obstacles, other than that, not really much for wheelin there that isn't on private property.

Coloradan

Did you do the full loop or just the main road from the airport and back out? We are staying in wailea so thinking of doing the full loop. Won't be able to stop as much but still.

We did the full loop, against the rental company's contract. I think it's worth it

dwmgcs

The only part that sucks doing that drive and staying in Wailea is that you pass by it on the way back and have to go all the way to Kahalui and back track on Mokulele hwy. to get back to to Wailea. Will you possibly be there for Halloween?, it's a big party there in Lahaina, they close Front Street about 4 pm for the kids parade and costume contest and then after that it's an adult free for all, only down side, no drinking on the street, if your there you should try to make it, we go almost every year, I think we have only missed one since 1991.

UpsideUp

I have also done the road to Hana a few times and have gone all the way around on all occasions. It is an all day event but so worth it! The road way improved last time i was there and is no longer mostly dirt as it was in the past if i remeber correctly? Buy "Maui Revealed" book. It's an amazing reference that describes all the sights and stops along the way. Take your time to get out at the more remote waterfalls, beaches, and roadside stops. You will have plenty of time if you leave around 7 am and expect to get back about 9 pm. Bring a lunch is my advice. Have fun...it's what I think when I think tropical Hawaii.

hbkid22

I've driven the road to hana probably 40 times, majority of those times in a Jeep, just remember, if you go the complete loop and anything happens, you are on your own, the rental companies make you sign a waiver when you get your car that says if you go around the back side, where Hana Highway turns into Piilani Highway then they wont come get you or cover any damage to the vehicle and can be liable for the total cost of the vehicle. This is also true on the north loop out of Wailuku going around to Kapalua. I never worry about it, but with that said there are a few areas around the backside with some good trails going down to the ocean with some good obstacles, other than that, not really much for wheelin there that isn't on private property.

I dont plan on wheeling out there. Just want to see the island! And good to know about the rental company. I will more than likely ignore it and do the full loop!

And we wont be out there for Halloween....We are going mid-October but I will keep that in mind if we need to move dates.

Thanks for the info.

hbkid22

I have also done the road to Hana a few times and have gone all the way around on all occasions. It is an all day event but so worth it! The road way improved last time i was there and is no longer mostly dirt as it was in the past if i remeber correctly? Buy "Maui Revealed" book. It's an amazing reference that describes all the sights and stops along the way. Take your time to get out at the more remote waterfalls, beaches, and roadside stops. You will have plenty of time if you leave around 7 am and expect to get back about 9 pm. Bring a lunch is my advice. Have fun...it's what I think when I think tropical Hawaii.

I hear that it takes all day but also it is worth it! Good to know it is well worth it.

dwmgcs

The first time i went to Maui in 1991 I rented a jeep, back then Jeeps were not real common there and I got a Jeep alright but it looked like it had been through a war and only had a bikini top, I thought, oh well, it's Hawaii. My wife was all dressed up and we were staying at the Hotel hana, it was raining and my wife was being so careful to keep her nice clothes dry but being the asshole I am I started making a point of over correcting on all of those curves, especially the left turns as the water would roll off the bikini top and soak her, she got pissed and said I was doing it on purpose, I lied and told her I wasn't but it was just too fun. It's Maui, no rain, no rainbows.

dwmgcs

I hear that it takes all day but also it is worth it! Good to know it is well worth it.

I think I hold the record for the trip from Hana to Kahului, 1hour 15 min. in a JKU, doesn't seem like much for 56 miles but when you drive it you will understand, its 56 miles of one lane bridges and switch backs and tourists that want to stop and gawk at every single waterfall, I really don't consider myself a tourist anymore since I keep a storage unit there with everything we need for the past 10 years, probably means we go too much, lol

MTG

Caught the Bug
I think I hold the record for the trip from Hana to Kahului, 1hour 15 min. in a JKU, doesn't seem like much for 56 miles but when you drive it you will understand, its 56 miles of one lane bridges and switch backs and tourists that want to stop and gawk at every single waterfall, I really don't consider myself a tourist anymore since I keep a storage unit there with everything we need for the past 10 years, probably means we go too much, lol

We go every year. One cannot go too much.

dwmgcs

We go every year. One cannot go too much.

That is so true, the first time I went kicking and screaming, wife was making me go, I really didn't want to go, now I look back and think how could anybody not want to go to Maui, now we go whenever we get a chance, so much easier when you don't have to take bags too, all my stuff is in storage just out of the airport.

dwmgcs

When do you normally go? I have never been to Hawaii (missed 3 trips) and curious if October is a good time to go?

October is one of the best times to go actually, it's the low season and prices are good and not crowded at all. We typically go third week of April and the last week of October for Halloween. Generally low season starts about the 12th of April until June then again second week of September when all the kids are back in school and then goes back up again for Thanksgiving.

Clem319

I dont plan on wheeling out there. Just want to see the island! And good to know about the rental company. I will more than likely ignore it and do the full loop!

And we wont be out there for Halloween....We are going mid-October but I will keep that in mind if we need to move dates.

Thanks for the info.

Rent a vehicle through Costco if you have a membership and you can pick it up at the airport. It is a massive savings. :thumb:

Top Bottom