Moby's NEW Off Road Engineering Custom Switch Panel Installed!!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So, last October, WOLette and I stumbled upon a booth over at the Off Road Expo that was selling a really cool custom switch panel. After talking to the sales rep, we found that not only was it small, thin, backlit and devoid of bulky wiring, relays or fuses, it was also totally customizable, programmable, super easy to install, designed to make wiring a snap and was also available in 4, 6, 8, 10 and even 12 switch configuration. Needless to say, we had been wanting to clean up the rats nest of wires under Moby's hood for quite some time now and so, we decided to order one up.

For our purposes, we already have our lockers tied in to the factory switches and so, we decided to get a panel with a 6 switch configuration. While there are up to 6 different switch programs you can chosen from, we decided to just have them all be simple ON and OFF with a push of the same button. The power module comes ready to be installed using an existing stud and nut located under the passenger side foot well. The actual switch panel can be mounted anywhere in your JK and is connected to the power module using a thin ribbon cable. We decided to try and use a Daystar switch panel to mount our switch panel and, this is how it all looked when all was said and done (please note, the buttons look brighter than they actually are due to the exposure of the camera):

main.php

main.php

Being that we do have an ARB compressor for our lockers, we decided to make a switch for it and then give the rest to the various lights we have installed. If we didn't have our lockers tied into the factory switch, I would have dedicated 2 of these for them or, gotten an 8 switch panel. Anyway, here's a shot of how we configured our buttons and labled them:

main.php

Here's a shot of what the switches look like when they are on...
main.php

main.php

Here what the power module looks like installed and wired up...
main.php

Here you can see just how thin and small the ribbon cable is that connects the power module to the actual switch panel. Had the Daystar panel not worked, I would have just installed this directly on the factory panel or along the center console under the hand brake...
main.php

Like I said, installation was a piece of cake and wiring was now easier to do than ever before. I think the hardest part of this install was cleaning up the mess I had under the hood first so that I could have a clean slate to work with. In retrospect, I might have gotten an 8 switch panel so that I could make 2 of the buttons operate my winch - IN for one button and OUT for the other. I will try to get a complete write-up done for this as soon as possible but, it'll most likely be after the holidays. :yup:

Attachments

• Jeep2.jpg
    Jeep2.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Jeep1.jpg
    Jeep1.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 5
  • jeep(3).jpg
    jeep(3).jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 2

tkuntz

Does the manufacturer have a website where I could order one as well? I really like the clean look. As of right now though I only have my Rigid Industries lights. But hopefully will be adding more soon.

Attachments

• IMG_1553 copy.jpg
    IMG_1553 copy.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 4

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Attachments

• P1150284.jpg
    P1150284.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 9
  • P1150302.jpg
    P1150302.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC03631.JPG
    DSC03631.JPG
    406.8 KB · Views: 6
  • DSC03663.jpg
    DSC03663.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 6
  • P1150693.jpg
    P1150693.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 7
  • P1150691.jpg
    P1150691.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 8
  • P1150713.jpg
    P1150713.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 4
  • P1150704.jpg
    P1150704.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 12
  • P1150680.jpg
    P1150680.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 5
  • P1150759.jpg
    P1150759.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 3
  • P1170038.jpg
    P1170038.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 3
  • P1160962.jpg
    P1160962.jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 2
  • hm.jpg
    hm.jpg
    347.9 KB · Views: 2
  • P1170104.jpg
    P1170104.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 4
  • P1170090.jpg
    P1170090.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20150606_134729760_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20150606_134729760_HDR.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 3
  • P1160993.jpg
    P1160993.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 3
  • P1170003.jpg
    P1170003.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 3

DanMojo82

Those look nice. With it being flat like that I'm sure you can put that in a lot more places than your average switch panel.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1455857740.911975.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1455857740.911975.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 10
  • ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1455857799.333722.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1455857799.333722.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 9

BCJK

I totally dig it! Looks awesome man. I was thinking of putting a switch-hub like that in for lights and accessories, but I wanted to put a bit of old school style into the modern interior so I called up my uncle in the UK... He's going to send me a bunch of old switches and components from scrapped RAF Spitfires and Hurricanes from WWII that he has around his shop (he's a retired aircraft mechanic for British Airways). Depending on what shows up, I'm thinking of mounting a bank of switches along the upper windshield frame, just above the rear-view mirror; or maybe on the open surface between the cup holders and centre console? What do you guys think?

Components to be hooked up to the switch hub:
- Off Road Lights (Front)
- Off Road Lights (Side)
- Reverse Lights
- Power Inverter
- Wireless Mobile Phone Signal Booster
- Safety Strobe/Markers (Don't ask - stupid oil company road requirements)

Attachments

• Jeep.jpg
    Jeep.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 12
  • front.jpg
    front.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 15
  • ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1470093906.666080.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1470093906.666080.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 13
  • back.jpg
    back.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 12
  • new fenders.jpg
    new fenders.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 12
  • snow wheeling.jpg
    snow wheeling.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 4
  • other side.JPG
    other side.JPG
    150.9 KB · Views: 5

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
At the last Suds-n-Grub, I had a bunch of people ask me about about this cool new custom switch panel and how it can be mounted in a JK. So, I decided to take more pics to show just how small and thin it is as well as how it can be mounted just about anywhere.

Other than using a Daystar panel, to the left of the steering wheel just above the speaker would proably be the easiest place to install one of these...
main.php

Or, you could install it just under the center console as shown.
main.php

Just behind the cup holders might work well too...
main.php

I have a Rock Hard Sport Cage and almost installed it here...
main.php

Heck, I even thought about installing it under the e-brake lever...
main.php

Being so small and light, you could easily install one on the plastic windshield header cover like this too...
main.php

Oh so many options!! :crazyeyes:

HornetJK

Where it is on the day star panel does the shifter hit it all. I m wondering if the boot on the 2012 would hit it.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Where it is on the day star panel does the shifter hit it all. I m wondering if the boot on the 2012 would hit it.

From what i've seen of the 2012's with manual transmissions, the shifter will not hit the switches. on my 07, the rubber shifter boot does make contact with the panel but, it does not interfere with shifting. i am going to try and mount the switches right up to the factory panel just to show people that it can be done just as well too. i'll post up some pics as soon as i can.

bl17z90

I just found this thread and i love the idea and look of this product, i know you hate them but is the module similar to the spods in the idea that once the module is hooked up all you have to do to set up a new input is plug it into the module and then program the button in question?

Or is there a write up on this on project jk? I don't recall seeing one

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I just found this thread and i love the idea and look of this product, i know you hate them but is the module similar to the spods in the idea that once the module is hooked up all you have to do to set up a new input is plug it into the module and then program the button in question?

Or is there a write up on this on project jk? I don't recall seeing one

first off, let's be clear on the fact that i don't "hate" anyone, any company or any product made by them. i do however find it objectionable that businesses like spod would lower themselves to signing up on a forum pretending to be a regular member just to pimp their products. how do i know? i caught them red handed in the act (i can PROVE IT) and when confronted, all they could do is LIE about it. maybe it's a bit old fashion and nobody cares anymore about things like "honesty" and "integrity" but, they still mean a lot to me.

having said that, yes, once installed, you just need to plug in whatever new device you've installed into it and go. if you need the switches to function in a specifc manner, you would need to order it that way or, send it back to have them re-program it but, at least you do have the option of doing more than just turning things on or off.

i have taken pics of the install and need to get a write-up done for it.

bl17z90

Fair enough, I never heard the story just saw something once about a confrontation.

But cool this seems like something that I'm going to really enjoy installing and using......I really just love buttons, as long as they do something even just light up:bleh:

MTG

Caught the Bug
Fair enough, I never heard the story just saw something once about a confrontation.

I think that is the problem with a lot of people on some of the forums. They heard something from someone about one thing or another, which turns this into that, and then after aunt Sally confirms it, because her preacher heard it at the hair salon, it becomes gospel. :crazyeyes:

FYI--this is not an attack on you. I'm just using your quote to make a point about something I find very annoying about the internets. :thumb:

bl17z90

surley shirley no worries I only used them as an example because i know how their system works :thumb:

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
Wow, I really like this switch panel esp. how neat and tidy everything can be. Could see one in my future possibly. I'm wondering if you could get buttons programmed so that you would have to hit twice before coming on, say for like a locker button. That way it wouldn't accidently be turned on while driving around a curve at 70 mph :eek:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, I really like this switch panel esp. how neat and tidy everything can be. Could see one in my future possibly. I'm wondering if you could get buttons programmed so that you would have to hit twice before coming on, say for like a locker button. That way it wouldn't accidently be turned on while driving around a curve at 70 mph :eek:

you most certainly can have the buttons programmed to pretty much however you want.

Dave_g

So excited for these.

Btw,

I emailed them asking some questions. I know that they don't list prices but:
The 6-switch panel system runs $325.00, 60A, 6 outputs.
8-switch, 120A, 12 outputs is $455.00
10-switch, 120A, 12 outputs is $475.00
12-switch, 120A, 12 outputs is $495.00

I would assume that once you go past 8 switches, might as well go to 12 and label them "Aux 1,2,3 ect." until you have something to plug in there.

Also, only come in blue glow =/

Top Bottom