Running 2 Amps off one battery

tonytony9

I have an 08 wrangler unlimited and I am looking to install a 500watt rms mono class d subwoofer and a four channel class d 100 watt per channel amp off my wrangler's battery. Is this going to be too much of a strain for my car or will it cause any problems?

Thanks!

jeeeep

Hooked
what other accessories do you have or plan to add? lights, winch, cb etc... lights are probably the next biggest power draw as a winch is occasionally

utiadam

LOSER
I think you should be fine. If anything you may want to upgrade your battery. I ran 1400 watts off the stock battery for about a year and a half with no issues. I now have 1800 watts with dual batteries. What brand are the amps? That will make a difference if it's true rms or not. A lot of cheaper amps claim higher power than they actually produce.

tonytony9

what other accessories do you have or plan to add? lights, winch, cb etc... lights are probably the next biggest power draw as a winch is occasionally

I don't have any other big power pullers. I have different lights but they draw the same power so no difference in strain than oem.

tonytony9

I think you should be fine. If anything you may want to upgrade your battery. I ran 1400 watts off the stock battery for about a year and a half with no issues. I now have 1800 watts with dual batteries. What brand are the amps? That will make a difference if it's true rms or not. A lot of cheaper amps claim higher power than they actually produce.

Crutchfield recommend an Axxera ax490d for the four channels. And I have a jl audio for the sub woofer so the jl audio one is deff true to their rms. Any experience or thoughts on the Axxera?

utiadam

LOSER
Crutchfield recommend an Axxera ax490d for the four channels. And I have a jl audio for the sub woofer so the jl audio one is deff true to their rms. Any experience or thoughts on the Axxera?

Never heard of the Axxera amp but that's not to say that they aren't true rms. Which JL amp are you running? I have (1) JX1000/1d and (2) JX360/4

tonytony9

Never heard of the Axxera amp but that's not to say that they aren't true rms. Which JL amp are you running? I have (1) JX1000/1d and (2) JX360/4

Jl Audio Jx500/1d Mono Subwoofer Amplifier - 500 Watts RMS X 1 At 2 Ohms

With a

JL Audio 10W6v2-D4 -10"

tonytony9

Sounds like a good sub and amp. What speakers? I'm using JL c5 mids and ZR tweeters. The sub is a 10w7

Crutchfield recommend these 61/2 kicker components for both the roll bar and and the dash. Only $70 a pair. Should I leave the tweeters connected? I am also gonna rewire because the jeep wiring I heard is low quality

utiadam

LOSER
Crutchfield recommend these 61/2 kicker components for both the roll bar and and the dash. Only $70 a pair. Should I leave the tweeters connected? I am also gonna rewire because the jeep wiring I heard is low quality

The tweeters are powered off the factory head unit not the factory amplifier. The wiring is pretty low quality. I ran all new 12 gauge to each mid and 16 gauge to each tweeter.

tonytony9

The tweeters are powered off the factory head unit not the factory amplifier. The wiring is pretty low quality. I ran all new 12 gauge to each mid and 16 gauge to each tweeter.

I don't have a factory amp in my car I'm pretty sure. Is it necessary to keep the tweets when I am getting the speakers with the tweeter in the center?

utiadam

LOSER
I don't have a factory amp in my car I'm pretty sure. Is it necessary to keep the tweets when I am getting the speakers with the tweeter in the center?

You will just have to try it out. It will be personal preference. I have front and rear JL ZR tweeters. You can try it with and without them hooked up

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
I doubt it will be too much in terms of volts for your battery, but don't be surprised if your lights dim. You might want to consider a capacitor.

utiadam

LOSER
Damn that looks pretty legit. I think I am going to hold off on that for awhile and see how I do with one battery. Do you think I should be running one power cable for both or one for each? I heard people do both ways.

I ran a single cable of 0 gauge from the battery to the back and have it split to (3) 4 gauge cables. You can do the same thing and just split it 2 ways.

tonytony9

I ran a single cable of 0 gauge from the battery to the back and have it split to (3) 4 gauge cables. You can do the same thing and just split it 2 ways.

Is it better/cheaper to do it that way? Rather than running two 8 gauge? Because Crutchfield is recommending $75 kits and that's pretty expensive since I have to but two sets

el_chupo_

No, it wont be a problem with the battery. If you play it a lot without the vehicle running, it will kill the battery, just like any other vehicle.

Run a single power, and go to a distribution block. Fuse power wire at battery, and a fused distribution block for each power wire to amp.

You dont need 1/0 for those amps. 4ga is plenty, as is 8ga from distribution to amps. Neither amp requires a ton of power.

You can also do a ground distribution block, or just ground to a good spot for each amp.

Cap will be a waste of time and money. Set your gains appropriately. They are not volume knobs.

If you need any install pieces, let me know. I have quite a bit hanging out in the garage.

utiadam

LOSER
Is it better/cheaper to do it that way? Rather than running two 8 gauge? Because Crutchfield is recommending $75 kits and that's pretty expensive since I have to but two sets

Run the biggest wire possible for the amps. If they can only accept an 8 gauge then use that or if it can accept a 4 gauge use that and so on. The manual to the JL amp will tell you how to set the gain based on AC voltage while playing a 50hz tone for the sub. You use a 1khz tone for mids. You don't have to buy a complete amp kit. You can go to any reputable stereo shop and buy the wire by the foot as well as fuse holders and distribution blocks.

Top Bottom