Atlas 2sp or 4sp

xflstl

Getting close to ordering an Atlas, my dilemma is 2 or 4sp. I have had several people who know far more than me tell me with my setup (Hemi, PR60/80) that I should go with a 2sp. This is also advanced adaptors recommendation. However my gut tells me I want more gearing options than a 2sp offers, even if I would rarely use them.

Any advice or personal experience on the subject welcome...

Getting close to ordering an Atlas, my dilemma is 2 or 4sp. I have had several people who know far more than me tell me with my setup (Hemi, PR60/80) that I should go with a 2sp. This is also advanced adaptors recommendation. However my gut tells me I want more gearing options than a 2sp offers, even if I would rarely use them.

Any advice or personal experience on the subject welcome...

I've been looking into the same thing. :thinking:

Danger

I had to go 2 speed do to wheel base, would have preferred 4 speed. The option to keep stock gearing with a 4 speed is great. Kind of what the Rubi crawler gives . In my opinion if you did 4 speed get your main case at 3.8 to 1 that way your double low is still usable. 10 to 1 is very low. You can literally walk beside your vehicle .

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I had to go 2 speed do to wheel base, would have preferred 4 speed. The option to keep stock gearing with a 4 speed is great. Kind of what the Rubi crawler gives . In my opinion if you did 4 speed get your main case at 3.8 to 1 that way your double low is still usable. 10 to 1 is very low. You can literally walk beside your vehicle .

You have an atlas in your JK?

Danger

I really like stock 2.72 to 1 in most cases. Very user friendly gearing. Once you get in rocks the 4 to 1 is great. I only wanted something lower a few times. Mainly winching. Problem I noticed if you do 4 to 1 in main case of a 4 speed you get 11.3 to 1. That is crazy low.

Danger

No problem, I'll remember next time. I was just thinking gearing and trying to answer the guys question. My bad.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
No problem, I'll remember next time. I was just thinking gearing and trying to answer the guys question. My bad.

It can just be confusing for some people. It's not a rule or anything just something I've seen time and time again. Happens with the JK guys posting info in the other model tech sections too.

Danger

Your right,when you said that I look at top of post and realized it said jk tech. I'm very new to all this forum stuff. I've been doing this stuff solo most off my life, and only now in my 40s am I trying to get involved with like minded people.

safecracker909

I have a 4 speed in my JK (Hemi and Rock jock 60's). I have no problems with crawling. It brings a lot of confidence when climbing step inclines.

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
I have been considering the same thing as well. Like you, most of the builders have recommended the 2 speed, even for LS swaps due to the strength. I've been told that the Hemi conversions have computer compatibility issues on the 4 speed with an Auto.

dwmgcs

I run a Rubicrawler and a RockTrac transfer case and after having the options of having 4 ratios to choose from I cant imagine going back to just having 2, for me it is a perfect fit and I do use the 2.72 and the 4.0 a lot more than the 10.88 but its sure nice to have on those extreme vertical dropoffs

Top Bottom