OEM fog light electric troubleshooting

KevD202

My driver side fog light went out. Figured it was a bad bulb so I replaced it. New one worked for about a week then it went out. I checked the computer codes and got nothing (done). I checked the wiring where I spliced in new wire to fit an aftermarket bumper with wider fog light mounts. One seemed loose so I freed it up from the thermal shrink wrap covering I used. Upon trying to manually connect the wires I still got nothing.

Should just touching the wires work or would I need to solder them together to make a good connection?

Not sure what else it could be. Checked fuses and they were ok as far as I could tell but I have limited experience with this.

The passenger side fog light works fine.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

SilverBack

A good connection is more than just touching it need to be solid and weather tight. A loose connection will cause excessive power draw and heat up. This could cause a bulb failure since a bulb is just a resistor that emits light. If you draw too many amps through the light the filament will fail.

Check the connections, both positive and negative and look for short circuits also.

Rebel JK

Kev- Forgoing the slight breach of forum ettiqute by not flipping everyone the wave lol. Heres my best Sunday 2/3ds growler down 2 cents.check with 12v test light where you spliced in to the factory wiring to see if you have voltage. Chances are if you have not blown the fuse, you only have a loose splice on the hot or a bad ground. How about a pic of the actual splice?

KevD202

Thanks all.

Rebel - would a blown fuse be obvious visually?

The re-wiring was fine for about a year by may have loosened. I will recheck all the connections.

Rebel JK

A blown fuse usually is visable but not always. They should both be on same fuse so its likely you have not blown it. Ckeck at socket with tester and chase back towards your splice.

Top Bottom