JKU Winch Recommendations

Spudcannons

I am looking for a reliable winch. What winch/bumper combos have people been running or recommend? Anyone using the wireless Warns/ zeon premium?

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Awe, the classic winch thread. I'm going to recommend anything but the vr series from warn.

toxicwaste29

I went a warn vr8000. I only use it a couple times a year which is why I weant for the cheap warn. It hasn't failed me yet and has pulled me and a ram 1500 out of a ditch at the same time without over heating or failing.

Wardell

Anyone using the wireless Warns/ zeon premium?

You mean their new Zeon Platinum? I'm waiting for one to be delivered. Mind you, I still need to order a mount, and I'm waiting until it's warmer out before I install it. It could be a month or two before I can give any feedback about it.

Spudcannons

You mean their new Zeon Platinum? I'm waiting for one to be delivered. Mind you, I still need to order a mount, and I'm waiting until it's warmer out before I install it. It could be a month or two before I can give any feedback about it.

Good to know you had enough confidence in it to order one. Amazon has them direct from warn with free 2 day shipping. I don't have lockers yet so I plan on using it pretty frequently when mud gets to heavey and the break over angle of the jku fails me. Did you get a factor 55 thimble or pro mount or a line cover for rocks with the synthetic line? What di you plan on doing for the Mount, bumper vacum pump relocation, or stock mount between frame rails.

Wardell

Good to know you had enough confidence in it to order one. Amazon has them direct from warn with free 2 day shipping. I don't have lockers yet so I plan on using it pretty frequently when mud gets to heavey and the break over angle of the jku fails me. Did you get a factor 55 thimble or pro mount or a line cover for rocks with the synthetic line? What di you plan on doing for the Mount, bumper vacum pump relocation, or stock mount between frame rails.

I have a Rubicon X that came stock with a steel bumper (same one as the 10th Anniversary and Hard Rock special editions). The bumper already has the opening to mount the winch in, but no actual winch mounting plate. I'm going to be ordering the winch mounting plate from Maximus-3, which also comes with a vacuum pump relocation bracket (it needs to be relocated due to where the winch mounts to the frame inside the bumper). There is an instal writeup on this setup, but unless you have the same bumper it might not be that useful to you.

If I had the standard plastic stock bumper, I'd be replacing it with an aftermarket steel bumper that has a winch mount built into it. That's probably the best solution for the money.

I'm not going with a Factor 55 or anything like that. They don't really seem to offer much of an advantage compared to the hook that comes on the winch line, and they might not even work with the recovery gear of other people in your group. Here's a thread where their pros and cons were discussed if you're interested in giving it a read: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=25418

I haven't really thought about a line cover yet, but I may look into getting one. It certainly couldn't hurt.

671JKU

I just mounted my Zeon 10S. Have a Poison Spyder Rock Brawler bumper. Had to make a spacer about 3/16th thick to sit properly.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That's a great thread thanks. An additional question not covered in the thread, is a new battery/dual/alternator setup required with a 10k-12k winch?

A deep cycle battery IS something I would recommend. I personally prefer Diehard Platinum or Odyssey batteries (same thing) over Optimas which used to be good but now suck. There is no need for a 12k winch - a 9k-10k will be plenty.

Spudcannons

I have a Rubicon X that came stock with a steel bumper (same one as the 10th Anniversary and Hard Rock special editions). The bumper already has the opening to mount the winch in, but no actual winch mounting plate. I'm going to be ordering the winch mounting plate from Maximus-3, which also comes with a vacuum pump relocation bracket (it needs to be relocated due to where the winch mounts to the frame inside the bumper). There is an instal writeup on this setup, but unless you have the same bumper it might not be that useful to you.

If I had the standard plastic stock bumper, I'd be replacing it with an aftermarket steel bumper that has a winch mount built into it. That's probably the best solution for the money.

I'm not going with a Factor 55 or anything like that. They don't really seem to offer much of an advantage compared to the hook that comes on the winch line, and they might not even work with the recovery gear of other people in your group. Here's a thread where their pros and cons were discussed if you're interested in giving it a read: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=25418

I haven't really thought about a line cover yet, but I may look into getting one. It certainly couldn't hurt.

I agree on the Factor 55 front. A good hook with 4 shackles on your front and rear bumper tabs seems like a more convenient and versatile solution. Do you have a convenient mounting spot for you recovery equipment? I am beginning to run out of space for gear. I already filled the space under my back seats with my HiLift jack, axe, machete, med kit, emergency dog food ect.

Spudcannons

A deep cycle battery IS something I would recommend. I personally prefer Diehard Platinum or Odyssey batteries (same thing) over Optimas which used to be good but now suck. There is no need for a 12k winch - a 9k-10k will be plenty.

Thanks! I saw in a different thread you used a larger safety hook on your TJ and wanted to go back to them. Did you every do this? Did you run into issues with the thimple getting ground on rocks? it seems like a 6" or so protrusion from the furthest point on the bumper and would get in the way a bit.

Top Bottom