U-joints replacement

JK_Jimmy

Is there any good write ups for replacing the front axle U-joints? I've watched a couple videos on YouTube but I'm a noob so I like having hard copies. Any help with this is much appreciated.

JK_Jimmy

Also if anyone has any suggestions on what brand or kind of u-joints to buy please let me know. I'm thinking the spicer 760x. From what I read it's a little stronger and more durable than others.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Personally it's not worth my time to do it. I bring it to a shop and have them press the old ones out and put the new ones in. Only time I'll do it myself is on the trail.

That is for driveshaft u joints since I have yet to break an axle shaft u joint. I also carry spare axle shafts so I don't have to carry u joints.

JK_Jimmy

Personally it's not worth my time to do it. I bring it to a shop and have them press the old ones out and put the new ones in. Only time I'll do it myself is on the trail.

That is for driveshaft u joints since I have yet to break an axle shaft u joint. I also carry spare axle shafts so I don't have to carry u joints.

Yea my problem is with the front axle u-joints. Called my mechanic and it would be around $360 with parts and labor so I'm definitely going to do it myself.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Yea my problem is with the front axle u-joints. Called my mechanic and it would be around $360 with parts and labor so I'm definitely going to do it myself.

Wtf? Go to a different shop. With a press they should be able to do it in like 15 minutes. Buy the parts online and bring them in with the axle shaft. Take the shaft out yourself.

JK_Jimmy

Wtf? Go to a different shop. With a press they should be able to do it in like 15 minutes. Buy the parts online and bring them in with the axle shaft. Take the shaft out yourself.

We shall see. I'm going to try and tackle this problem this weekend. Do you recommend any particular u-joints and is there any additional parts I'm going to need one I start this? I'd obviously rather have everything before hand so I'm not running back and forth to the store.

seanb123

I did mine a few ago. Very easy. Take wheel off. Take brake rotor off leave caliper on. Take hub and axle out. Use ball joint press and your good to go.

sjd78

Since you have a sport and mentioned the 760 u joints I'm assuming you still have the stock Dana 30 front axle. That being the case I would recommend you use genuine Spicer 5-760x u joints. Rent a press from your local auto parts store and you should be good to go.

JK_Jimmy

Since you have a sport and mentioned the 760 u joints I'm assuming you still have the stock Dana 30 front axle. That being the case I would recommend you use genuine Spicer 5-760x u joints. Rent a press from your local auto parts store and you should be good to go.

Thanks and just for more information for ppl who read this and are wondering exactly what is going wrong with my u-joint here is a video below. I have the same slight wheel wobble on slow turns.

http://youtu.be/qoJxEXKhzFU

Top Bottom