Oil leak from front axle

jjlong

I assume this oil leak means a bad seal, but my buddy said it a sign my axle may be bent! Is that true or he just F'in with me? By the way, I'm new to site and LOVE IT! Wayalife stickers are in the mail! :cool:

Attachments

• 1429729788529.jpg
    1429729788529.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 213

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
It actually is a sign the axle could be bent. Any additional details on the vehicle? Year, milage, lift, tires, etc.

Have you done any recent wheeling?

If you replace the seal and it begins leaking again, then you have pretty much narrowed it down to a bent axle.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I feel your pain, just noticed the same on our 1 year old, stock jeep.😭

Attachments

• 1429733505939.jpg
    1429733505939.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 191

jjlong

It actually is a sign the axle could be bent. Any additional details on the vehicle? Year, milage, lift, tires, etc.

Have you done any recent wheeling?

If you replace the seal and it begins leaking again, then you have pretty much narrowed it down to a bent axle.

Ugh! 08 JKUR w/ 105k miles. 3.5 Rough Country lift w/ 35's. And I go wheel'n about twice a month.

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
Ugh! 08 JKUR w/ 105k miles. 3.5 Rough Country lift w/ 35's. And I go wheel'n about twice a month.

With those miles, it really could just be a bad seal. That said, with those miles and the wheeling you mentioned, it could be a bent axle too... :rolleyes:

Probably would be worth it to change the seal and keep an eye on it.

jjlong

With those miles, it really could just be a bad seal. That said, with those miles and the wheeling you mentioned, it could be a bent axle too... :rolleyes:

Probably would be worth it to change the seal and keep an eye on it.

Will do, thanks for the advice

hudginsja

I just picked my jeep up from the dealer today. My 14' has 15k miles on it and they replaced both seals under warranty. Took them a day.

CJW

With that much mileage I would replace the seals first and see what happens. If it leaks fairly soon after then look into a bent housing.

JKWrang

I actually just found this under my Jeep. Im gonna bring it in for warranty and then go from there. Keep us posted on what your solution is too! Subscribed

JKWrang

Supposing it is a leak and its not warrantied.... does anyone know what part youd get to replace the inner and outer seals for a dana 30?

Would a ten factory seal be good?

Supposing it is a leak and its not warrantied.... does anyone know what part youd get to replace the inner and outer seals for a dana 30?

Would a ten factory seal be good?

Outer seals are voodoo. They are decent at keeping crud out of the tube, but allow the inner seal to leak for a long time (potentially starving the diff of oil) before they are detected.

I have replaced the inner seals with both the factory and synergy ones. The early Synergy ones did not have a lip to positively align the seal against anything, but the newer ones are just like stockers and seem to work okay.

The most challenging thing is to not drag the axle shaft in any crud left in the tube. If you do there is a good chance you can damage the seal with that crud reassembling. I have a bent rod I can use to "catch" the shaft and guide it in through the seal to make sure I don't pick up dirt or catch the lip of the seal.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
The factory shafts have plastic guides on them that do a good job at keep the shaft steady as to not knock the seal out. Not sure if you can purchase them from the dealer or not. They are not needed though.

Clark Griswold

I actually just found this under my Jeep. Im gonna bring it in for warranty and then go from there. Keep us posted on what your solution is too! Subscribed

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1436116265.936396.jpg
Found this yesterday while rotating the tires and changing brake pads. Did you get yours fixed under warranty?

JKWrang

View attachment 152191
Found this yesterday while rotating the tires and changing brake pads. Did you get yours fixed under warranty?

Yes i did. I actually found the front diff, front axle seals on both sides and rear diff seal all failed. The dealership warrantied all of it because they cant explain that many failures at once even though they tried to blame wheeling.

Of course.

Top Bottom