Torqueing bolts on diff

CCTX50

I just installed my Poison Spyder Bombshell on the rear DANA 44. Was torqueing the bolts to 25lbs and what do you know... pop! I thought that the bolt snapped in half. I was able to back it out and it had stretched out. I checked the differential threads and all were good. The bolt was worthless now. I replaced it with one of the original bolts for now. Seems that PS has had some issues with these bolts. My worries now are that the rest of the bolts are torqued to 25lbs and are they about to "pop" too? Should I remove them all and replace them or since they torqued without any "known" issues just leave them? Any thoughts???

There are so many different ideas on how many lbs to torque to. From 20-35 lbs I have read. I would appreciate any words of wisdom on this matter.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Did you go straight to 25# on the first bolt with the torque wrench or start with small increments and do a criss cross pattern?

jesse3638

Hooked
That sucks. I know the feeling. While I was installing my CRC link I had a similar experience except the pop I had was the threads in the housing pulling out. Imagine that feeling. Fortunately there was still about 1/2" of threads before it bottomed out so one of my diff bolts is an 1 1/4" with 3 washers. I did the same 20-25-30 in a cris cross patern and at 20 is when mine happened. After that I stopped at 20 on the rest and had no leaks. I did eventually go back and re-torque to 30. If I remember correctly manufacturer specs are 32.

CJW

Wow that sucks. My bombshells came with grade 8 hardware. I didn't even torque them, just cranked them in. No issues.
......obviously not that this is the right way to do it.

CCTX50

I might pull a few of the bolts out and inspect them for damage. Last thing I want is to break one off inside. Frustrating!!!!!!

Top Bottom