JK dana 30 locked and geared

Pyro1415

Please only first hand experiences since I've already done the reading. Alright guys I have the 3.8 paired with the 42LE. Do to some wonderful reading I've decided that my next axles will be a dana 60/80 front and back. Until I can save the money for a few years to do that I would like to put an eaton e and either 5.13 or 5.38 gears in it. I currently have 37km2s (35."5 and 70lbs) on my none reinforced d30 so I don't wheel too hard but I've been in situations where I needed lockers. So can a d30 handle an eaton e and 5.38s on a large 35" tire or will it explode right away. I'm moving to alaska so I want it for snow and sand wheeling usually stay out of thick mud and rocks.
Thanks in advance oh and I'll be doing the install myself so should be about 2 to 3k to do front and back.

Please only first hand experiences since I've already done the reading. Alright guys I have the 3.8 paired with the 42LE. Do to some wonderful reading I've decided that my next axles will be a dana 60/80 front and back. Until I can save the money for a few years to do that I would like to put an eaton e and either 5.13 or 5.38 gears in it. I currently have 37km2s (35."5 and 70lbs) on my none reinforced d30 so I don't wheel too hard but I've been in situations where I needed lockers. So can a d30 handle an eaton e and 5.38s on a large 35" tire or will it explode right away. I'm moving to alaska so I want it for snow and sand wheeling usually stay out of thick mud and rocks.
Thanks in advance oh and I'll be doing the install myself so should be about 2 to 3k to do front and back.

I would say you're asking for it. Im hesitant to say 5.38's in a D44 let alone a D30. Once you lock that up you're putting so much pressure on it. I would say if its locker or gearing I would skip the locker. At least with open its going to give a little for ya. Maybe check out 4.88's to help a bit more in the strength area...just tossing out ideas to help save ya some repairs.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I don't have first hand experience, so my advice is invalid. but I'll agree with crippledpety on 4.88, leave the front open. Lock the rear. C gussets up front and if and when your axle shafts break, maybe chromoly with full circle clips.

jivesis

I've been running the 37 km2 with the Dana 30, stock axels, elocker and 5:13s in the 3.8 for 3 years now.. I look after the truck and don't flog it, but have recently wheeled it pretty hard on a few occasion my mates with rubies couldn't traverse the same trail. I've added gussets and sleeves and after 100,000 Kms I needed balljoints..

jivesis

With my auto and the puss 3.8 pushing the small 37 km2s 5:13 would be the minimum. OD is useless around town with the 5:13s..

Pyro1415

I've been running the 37 km2 with the Dana 30, stock axels, elocker and 5:13s in the 3.8 for 3 years now.. I look after the truck and don't flog it, but have recently wheeled it pretty hard on a few occasion my mates with rubies couldn't traverse the same trail. I've added gussets and sleeves and after 100,000 Kms I needed balljoints..

Are you using an eaton and yes I did think 5.13 minimum this 3.8 auto is gutless.

Pyro1415

Also I was thinking 30 spline but weaker line of axle shafts. I'd rather break them than the gears.

jivesis

Yup, the eaton.. I was surprised the last time I went wheeling. Hitting rock ledges on massive hills and huge ruts, I thought for sure I'd at least snap and axel..but all depends on how you drive, mechanical sympathy is key..

robx251

Caught the Bug
I'll second the 488 gears I have a 6 speed manual I'm 35 they're great and as far as 37th go on me d 30 I work in a shop and I've seen a couple of them exploded with open carriers on stock gears let alone 513

Pyro1415

I'll second the 488 gears I have a 6 speed manual I'm 35 they're great and as far as 37th go on me d 30 I work in a shop and I've seen a couple of them exploded with open carriers on stock gears let alone 513

6 speed so you have the 3.6 with a better transmission too. I need steep gears to get any power at all. I've considered 4.88 mainly though I want a locker.

jknikos

Τhe 3.8 auto VS the 3.8 manual have very different needs in gearing. In an auto the 5.13 is an absolute neccesity, even 5.38 (do they make 5.38s for a D30 :thinking:). But anything lower than 4.88 in an d30 leaves you with a tiny pinion :naw: I personally have seen d30s get blown with 5.13 gears. 5.38s and locker :nono: Just my 2cents:beer:

I'm running 5.13s on toyo 37s with a locker with my Dana 30. I say you okay to do it, it will just be scary. Just know that you may have to fork out some money before you are ready to if your internals break.

Pyro1415

Yeah I don't wheel hard. I know guys who have broken open 44s with 35s. It's all on how much fun you're having. Yes they make a 5.38 for the 30. I was planning on going 30 spline.

jknikos

I was planning on going 30 spline.
You are overinvesting a lot of money on a d30 IMO. :beer: Bigger axleshafts will only increase the risk of ring-pinion breakage, especcially if you go for 5.38 gears. And if as you say, you don wheel hard, you dont need 30splines and front locker anyway. :thinking:

OJK12

You are overinvesting a lot of money on a d30 IMO. :beer: Bigger axleshafts will only increase the risk of ring-pinion breakage, especcially if you go for 5.38 gears. And if as you say, you don wheel hard, you dont need 30splines and front locker anyway. :thinking:

Good advice right here^^. I wouldn't lock a 30 for any reason myself and if your not wheeling hard then you definitely don't need lockers.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah I don't wheel hard. I know guys who have broken open 44s with 35s. It's all on how much fun you're having. Yes they make a 5.38 for the 30. I was planning on going 30 spline.

Clearly, you have never seen how small a 5.13 pinion is on a Dana 30 let alone a 5.38. If you have like I have, you'd know that this is a really bad idea to do. You literally will have about 1 tooth on the ring gear. From experience, I have run 5.38's in a Dana 44 and blew it out in just under 2 months/9 wheeling trips. Also, 30 spline shafts will just INCREASE the likelihood that you will suffer a break on the ring and pinion. Maybe it's just me but I prefer to work on breaks OUTSIDE of the axle - NOT inside. But hey, it sounds like you're convinced this is the way to go so knock yourself out. :yup:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
You've done the reading and still want to do it so I say go for it. Spend all that money on a turd and hammer down. What could go wrong right?

Top Bottom