Greetings from Austin

atxbold

Hello everyone. Good to be here and looking forward to learning a lot and draining my bank account. I'm also kind of hooked on Eddy's movies. They're like crack and I've lost a lot of sleep the past week watching them late into the night.

Disclosure: Edited Post since I got my jeep!

Hi. I've been lurking for few weeks and finally got my new Jeep. It is my first (been wanting one forever) and I'm very happy I pulled the trigger. Took me almost a month to find the right one and the right deal (everything has Nav or Leather it seems). Big props to Amanda at Allen Samuels in Katy, TX for the great experience. I got an Anvil 2015 JKU Rubicon. Only packages I got were: connectivity package, auto start, auto transmission, tow package, and Alpine system.

tsIkhkH.jpg

cls9ZjN.jpg

6G68wV4.jpg

Ordered and on its way are recovery gear (ARB tree saver, tow strap, and Shackles. I also ordered:

Evo-Protek.jpg

Currently figuring out next mod. I'm thinking:
ARB Compressor Kit
arbjkcompresskit_1.jpg

I've used lots of advice from this forums of which mods to start with. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears. I do want to use the stock suspension, wheels, and tires for awhile (>1 year) so I get to know my Jeep. I don't want to jump into situations I'm ill prepared to handle. Also, from what I understand stock Rubicons are very capable. I want to know as many mods as possible on my own so I know my Jeep and can conduct repairs as needed.

Thanks

Last edited:

CRZRTX

Welcome to Wayalife and to the Jeeping addiction. I am on my second JKU and love them. I lived several years in Austin and know lots of trails and off road parks in that area, Hidden Falls, Long Ranch, Trees Ranch, K2 (Katemcy Rocks), Canyons Off Road Park, and Stillwaters Ranch. You will have fun with them.

So now the fun part begins with finding what you want and customizing it with the aftermarket parts you want. Get what you want and don't settle.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Hello everyone. Good to be here and looking forward to learning a lot and draining my bank account. I'm also kind of hooked on Eddy's movies. They're like crack and I've lost a lot of sleep the past week watching them late into the night.

So I don't actually own a Wrangler yet. Been test driving and looking around. Lots of research as well so I can get the options I need and want but nothing I will regret getting later. Example I've been looking all around if I should bother with the uconnect since I want to do a aftermarket double din. Or just get cloth seats since I'm more likely to replace with suspension seats later.

Unfortunately I might need to order one because I absolutely love the Tank color from this year but I can't find a Rubicon Unlimited with a standard. I could always do black or silver but I ehhhh. I think I should get exactly what I want. Made a mistake a year ago trading in my modified truck for a crossover. If I'm going to take the financial hit might as well make it worth it, right?

welcome, I'm from the Good old 512 as well :thumb:

I had to do the same thing your talking about, ordered my jeep. longest 8 weeks of my life, but it was worth it and I'm SUPER happy with it now. i almost folded on the manual trans to take an auto off the lot, I'm SO glad i didnt! :thumb: Good Luck!

HannahHays

I'm from Austin as well! Welcome! I'm in the same boat as this cool guy trying to find the perfect Jeep and spending hrs staring at Y'all's vids!!!

atxbold

I'm from Austin as well! Welcome! I'm in the same boat as this cool guy trying to find the perfect Jeep and spending hrs staring at Y'all's vids!!!

Found it! I've learned the key to finding it:

1) Don't buy in Austin. The economy is too good and they don't have to deal or be nice.
2) Internet is your friend. Use cars.com to find one you like within say 200 miles (what I used) and then do everything via email. Make it clear you're coming from a distance so you want to know everything ahead of time. Out the door (OTD) price, buy order, everything ahead of time. And that means you want to know their best deal ahead of time as well. Saves a LOT of time.
3) Kind of goes with #2 but for the love of god don't do this in a hurry. Jeeps are popular and it's hard to find one you want with everything you desire and a dealership that will conduct business like it should be done. FYI I used Allen Samuels in Katy (Outside of Houston) and they were great. They tried the whole extendeded warranty, tire insurance, blah, blah from the finance guy but they were on the up and up. They even admitted they work on volume so they have no problem going below invoice. And I got a very good trade-in value.
4) WALK.... AWAY..... Let me say that again, walk away. Just do it once to get the hang of it to be honest. If you buy a Jeep at your first place, you're probably getting had. I can go into all my experiences the past month but few were pleasant. They assume you're stupid, remember that.

I've already spent about $800 bucks on mods and tools and I just got my Jeep today. It definitely is a beginning so keep that in mind. Get the deal you're comfortable with.

HannahHays

Found it! I've learned the key to finding it:

1) Don't buy in Austin. The economy is too good and they don't have to deal or be nice.
2) Internet is your friend. Use cars.com to find one you like within say 200 miles (what I used) and then do everything via email. Make it clear you're coming from a distance so you want to know everything ahead of time. Out the door (OTD) price, buy order, everything ahead of time. And that means you want to know their best deal ahead of time as well. Saves a LOT of time.
3) Kind of goes with #2 but for the love of god don't do this in a hurry. Jeeps are popular and it's hard to find one you want with everything you desire and a dealership that will conduct business like it should be done. FYI I used Allen Samuels in Katy (Outside of Houston) and they were great. They tried the whole extendeded warranty, tire insurance, blah, blah from the finance guy but they were on the up and up. They even admitted they work on volume so they have no problem going below invoice. And I got a very good trade-in value.
4) WALK.... AWAY..... Let me say that again, walk away. Just do it once to get the hang of it to be honest. If you buy a Jeep at your first place, you're probably getting had. I can go into all my experiences the past month but few were pleasant. They assume you're stupid, remember that.

I've already spent about $800 bucks on mods and tools and I just got my Jeep today. It definitely is a beginning so keep that in mind. Get the deal you're comfortable with.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write out your experience! It helps a lot! I am still in the process of finding "the one" and not looking here in Austin primarily. I will be taking an experienced jeep buyer with me so they won't roll their eyes the second I walk in. :) Again, thank you for writing back it is SO helpful!

Angry Aussie

You can find a good deal in Austin if you know what your doing. I got a fully loaded brand new 12 rubicon otd for under 35k

Last edited:

HannahHays

You can find a good deal in Austin if you know what your doing. I got a fully loaded brand new 12 rubicon otd for under 35k

Yeah I've seen those prices out there. May I ask where you found that gem? :) I'm looking to stay at around 30 used 2012 or above. Struggling to find a rubi tho for that price and year range so now dabbling in Sahara's.

tharb5111

Welcome and nice Jeep! I went with anvil too. Love that color. Don't see it out there much either. Big wave from North Dallas.

Top Bottom