Mud Flaps in CA

CRZRTX

I am going to be in California for three months this summer (Lake Tahoe) and notice they have a law requiring mud flaps and fenders covering the tires. Is this strictly enforced or is it something that the cops usually look the other way but will enforce if you are being a jerk?

jesse3638

Hooked
I am going to be in California for three months this summer (Lake Tahoe) and notice they have a law requiring mud flaps and fenders covering the tires. Is this strictly enforced or is it something that the cops usually look the other way but will enforce if you are being a jerk?

Its definitely PC for a traffic stop but I feel its probably enforced more in certain areas over others. I don't run them and have been lucky thus far not to get stopped for it. (Knock on wood). I'm sure it'll happen eventually though. Just don't draw attention yourself..haha

Jay_r24

Same..i run no mud flaps and my fenders are cut. Tires stick out past the fenders..I have been right next to cops and have just gotten occasional thumbs up on my rig. Was up in Tahoe Last year for a week and no problems what so ever!!

M_Savage

Caught the Bug
I moved from Utah to California and still have my UT license plate. Not sure if this has anything to do with it but i haven't had any problems.

K.D.C.H

I have t had any issues whatsoever ever on mine but I'm sure when inherent ProRock full width axels I'll get some installed

sapco76

I have my fenders cut and I have never had any issues with cops. Like others have said, don't draw attention to yourself.

TheStick

What is your setup?

Overall, with the communist nature of this state, it is actually pretty Jeep friendly. Especially in the hill/rural parts such as EDC where I live. The standard 1.5" or so past the fenders I doubt you ever have a problem. 40's on full width axels? They might give you some shit.

CRZRTX

What is your setup?

Overall, with the communist nature of this state, it is actually pretty Jeep friendly. Especially in the hill/rural parts such as EDC where I live. The standard 1.5" or so past the fenders I doubt you ever have a problem. 40's on full width axels? They might give you some shit.

38's on full width (69") axles and Poison Spyder narrow fenders. May be a recipe for tickets.
DSC_8608.jpg

Jitzoo

Highway patrol or traffic officers (motorcycle) are more likely to enforce it over a regular patrol cop.

I was cited in my F250 a few years back by CHP.

USMCvet

Banned
What is your setup?

That's exactly why I moved as soon as I could from that state. I liked certain aspects of it but hated the social engineering political wing that enveloped the very core of it.

aermotor

I haven't gotten a ticket in the almost 5 years of having my lifted Jeep. Although it does happen on the rare chance, I wouldn't worry about it.

AaronB

I think it just depends on where your at and who's behind you, but you could be cited for it.

ARTICLE 5. Fenders [27600 - 27607] ( Article 5 enacted by Stats. 1959, Ch. 3. )

27600. No person shall operate any motor vehicle having three or more wheels, any trailer, or semitrailer unless equipped with fenders, covers, or devices, including flaps or splash aprons, or unless the body of the vehicle or attachments thereto afford adequate protection to effectively minimize the spray or splash of water or mud to the rear of the vehicle and all such equipment or such body or attachments thereto shall be at least as wide as the tire tread. This section does not apply to those vehicles exempt from registration, trailers and semitrailers having an unladen weight of under 1,500 pounds, or any vehicles manufactured and first registered prior to January 1, 1971, having an unladen weight of under 1,500 pounds.

Last edited:

AlStew

I don't know if this has been answered before.

But if you run no rear fenders (like the Evo outlaw corners) and have mudflaps covering the tire width, is that legal?

Top Bottom