Crawler Concepts Tire Carrier

BlackRubiJKU

I've been looking for a spare tire carrier for the last several months. I don't care for offerings Poison Spyder because they attach to the rear bumper. I have EVO front and rear bumpers, but their tire carrier must be used with their body armor, and it looks like something straight out of MAD MAX. GenRights carriers are just plain ugly, and made of aluminum. The aluminum leaves marks on your spare tire that cannot be removed no matter how hard you scrub or what type cleaner you use. I received a flyer from Northridge last week and saw the Crawler Concepts carrier on sale for $499. I like the looks of the carrier, and the fact that it bolts in place of the stock carrier. I also like the fact that the spare bolts to it, and it isn't a wraparound design. I have read some controversy regarding the design and capacity of the CC carrier, and I thought I would post a few pics. I have to say that I am very impressed with the quality of the welds, weld penetration. I also noticed that the welded components are slotted, for extra strength. The metal is hydro formed, and laser cut for accuracy. I have no doubt that this carrier will hold my 37" Falken AT with no issues, and last for quite some time.
20150423_130400.jpg 20150423_130414.jpg 20150423_130523.jpg 20150423_130616.jpg 20150423_130626.jpg 20150423_130650.jpg 20150423_130657.jpg 20150423_130803.jpg 20150423_130815.jpg

Last edited:

Rideski

I ordered one as well through Northridge in Alberta but they said that it would be a 5 week wait. :-(

Are you planning on painting it with a rattle can or have it professionally done? I'm thinking Line-X...

BlackRubiJKU

I ordered one as well through Northridge in Alberta but they said that it would be a 5 week wait. :-(

Are you planning on painting it with a rattle can or have it professionally done? I'm thinking Line-X...

I'm in SoCal, and it was drop shipped from CC. It only took three days.

I'm going to have it powder coated wrinkle black.

REKLESS-RED

I've been looking at this tire carrier as well. How are the bolts that are supposed to support that large of a tire in place of the stock door hinges?

mendigo

I been looking at this product too. Please put some pictures and let us know what u think after

dyn0mitemat

I wasn't initially intrigued by this but I'm liking the pics you posted. I wish some of these companies would offer a little more details and photos on the stuff they're asking a few hundred bucks for. Found more info in this thread than i could on their website lol

BlackRubiJKU

I've been looking at this tire carrier as well. How are the bolts that are supposed to support that large of a tire in place of the stock door hinges?

All bolts are grade 8. The hinges are more beefy than stock, and bolt on in place. You remove the stock hinge, cut the pin, and replace the stock hinge base with the CC unit. CC even countersunk the holes for proper fitment. I can take photos if you'd like. I don't have it installed or powder coated yet.

Last edited:

bsimon187

I talked to these guys at jeep beach and looked at the unit on back of one of their jeeps. It looks pretty stout and well made. It is now on my short list to replace my current set up.

BlackRubiJKU

I wasn't initially intrigued by this but I'm liking the pics you posted. I wish some of these companies would offer a little more details and photos on the stuff they're asking a few hundred bucks for. Found more info in this thread than i could on their website lol

I understand what you are saying. I looked at their web site, and googles pics before purchasing. There were still things about the design that were unknown to me until I unboxed it.

REKLESS-RED

All bolts are grade 8. The hinges are more beefy than stock, and bolt on in place. You remove the stock hinge, cut the pin, and replace the stock hinge base with the CC unit. CC even countersunk the holes for proper fitment. I can take photos if you'd like. I don't have it installed or powder coated yet.

Pictures would be helpful! Thanks.

BlackRubiJKU

Pictures would be helpful! Thanks.

Here are pics of the replacement hinges. You remove the stock pin, and replace the base of the hinge with the CC unit, which is obviously more stout. You then use the provided hardware (bolt) to replace the factory pin. This connects the tailgate portion of the hinge to the CC unit. Note that the CC hinge base has countersunk holes, and a nice positive bump stop.
20150428_071233.jpg 20150428_071238.jpg 20150428_071252.jpg 20150428_071302.jpg

REKLESS-RED

Here are pics of the replacement hinges. You remove the stock pin, and replace the base of the hinge with the CC unit, which is obviously more stout. You then use the provided hardware (bolt) to replace the factory pin. This connects the tailgate portion of the hinge to the CC unit. Note that the CC hinge base has countersunk holes, and a nice positive bump stop.
View attachment 139884 View attachment 139885 View attachment 139886 View attachment 139887

Thanks for the photos. It looks pretty stout if you ask me. This tire carrier is making it onto my short list. I'm looking forward to seeing it on your rig.:clap2::thumb:

Yeah, I was thinking I was going to go with the GenRight, but this price point is pretty hard to ignore. Especially if Northridge runs another sale!

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Lol so many companies are starting to use those brackets after genright used them. One plus of that carrier....no holes in the body. If I wouldnt have wanted to run the evo carrier after installing the skins and swapping out my genright (hinges are very strong btw mounted on that side) I think I would have went with this carrier, but I wanted the same style and tire protection mounted inside vs on the gate per say.

BlackRubiJKU

Installation with GenRight FUSION rear bumper

I will soon be installing my CC tire carrier with a FUSION series rear bumper. I will post photos of the fitment.

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
It looks like this carrier bolts on top of the factory hinges for the rear gate.

If that is the case, how is this carrier not going to cause extra stress (due to more weight) on the OEM hinges which will cause them to fail prematurely?

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
It looks like this carrier bolts on top of the factory hinges for the rear gate.

If that is the case, how is this carrier not going to cause extra stress (due to more weight) on the OEM hinges which will cause them to fail prematurely?

Time will tell if it's reliable.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug

Those hinges replace the stock hinges :thumb:

Top Bottom