Gears

zzachm18

Would regearing to 4.88s be harmful if kept stock wheels/tires? -255/75/17. I do plan for 35s but not until later. Or should I just save up more and do it all at once?

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
X3
And don't forget about a programmer that is needed to adjust your automatic shift points and caibrate your speedo.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned, you can do it but your RPM's will run really high and will burn a lot more gas until you get new tires. Your shift points will be all off too unless you get a programmer to calibrate your speedometer. In fact, if you have a 2012 or newer JK, you will NEED a programmer or else your Jeep will go into limp mode.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
As mentioned, you can do it but your RPM's will run really high and will burn a lot more gas until you get new tires. Your shift points will be all off too unless you get a programmer to calibrate your speedometer. In fact, if you have a 2012 or newer JK, you will NEED a programmer or else your Jeep will go into limp mode.

Slight thread jack, but will the Jeep still go into limp mode on a manual trans? or will the speedo just be off until corrected? just Curious and trying to plan what I need BEFORE I have a paper weighted jeep for my daily driver. Thanks in advance for clarifying. :thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Slight thread jack, but will the Jeep still go into limp mode on a manual trans? or will the speedo just be off until corrected? just Curious and trying to plan what I need BEFORE I have a paper weighted jeep for my daily driver. Thanks in advance for clarifying. :thumb:

It will only go into limp mode on an automatic. You will be fine with a manual.

Top Bottom