JK C gussets

RubiX1

Hi All, I am considering the front axle C gussets on my 14 Rubi X. I am running 35s, was told that due to the welding of the gussets should replace the ball joints. thoughts/opinions anyone? :hmm:

JKWrang

Hi All, I am considering the front axle C gussets on my 14 Rubi X. I am running 35s, was told that due to the welding of the gussets should replace the ball joints. thoughts/opinions anyone? :hmm:

So what they mean is: You will have to either remove the ball joints and while you're doing that you might as well have new ones to put back on. OR you can weld the gussets on with the ball joints on and that does have a potential risk of damaging the ball joints - if you do you'll need to replace them anyway.

You do not need to. And a good welder who understands the ball joint situation can mitigate that for you and make that unnecessary.

So your call

When I did my gussets it was during my ball joint replacement. The factory ball joints do not hold up as well as after markets one.

I would change ball joints at the same time.

R/
Will

CJW

^^^ I don't think they usually paint the inside. I suppose you could use weld through primer on the inside....

RubiX1

Just Empty Every Pocket

So, with 90% highway driving what kind of life expectancy out of stock ball joints? :question:

utiadam

LOSER
I didn't remove my stock ones when we welded the gussets and control arm skids. We did go slow and cooled the ball joints off with wet rags.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1429904364.054487.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1429904397.706856.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1429904419.739465.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1429904446.938039.jpg

About 2 weeks ago I finally replaced the ball joints with the pro steers.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1429904491.681292.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1429904517.001619.jpg
The stock ones lasted about 35k for me.

Top Bottom