4.5'' lift 2 Door problems

Jtmw

Just curious gonna be upping my lift, quick question. If I go up to 4.5 inches have front lowers, uppers/lowers rear will I need new driveshafts new U-Joint Style Front and Rear immediately or could I run around for a little while without them?

Peak

Are you adding 4.5" coils or 3" coils? On a 2 door you can get about 4.5" of lift with 3" coils if you have nothing heavy on your rig.
You may be able to get away with an exhaust spacer for a few months but I wouldnt recommend it.

Jtmw

Are you adding 4.5" coils or 3" coils? On a 2 door you can get about 4.5" of lift with 3" coils if you have nothing heavy on your rig.
You may be able to get away with an exhaust spacer for a few months but I wouldnt recommend it.

3'' Coils. I'm A light weight rig all the way around, don't do any overlanding.

Ah2014jk

I have a 2dr with front lower and 3.5" but am putting the 3.5 " Rock krawler springs in next weekend ( I hope ) I added the exhaust spacers for now and the do add a huge amount of clearance. That being said the drive shafts will need to be done sooner rather than later and I will be doing rear first. Keep in mind I don't wheel it crazy often or hard as the closest trails are 3-4 hours away.

Jtmw

I have a 2dr with front lower and 3.5" but am putting the 3.5 " Rock krawler springs in next weekend ( I hope ) I added the exhaust spacers for now and the do add a huge amount of clearance. That being said the drive shafts will need to be done sooner rather than later and I will be doing rear first. Keep in mind I don't wheel it crazy often or hard as the closest trails are 3-4 hours away.

So you think I could get by for a month or two to scrape up the money for shafts? I already have exhaust spacers.

noroad

So you think I could get by for a month or two to scrape up the money for shafts? I already have exhaust spacers.

with 4.5 i dont think it will last to long, i have a 4.5 inch lift and i drove 80 miles a day to work. the front you are better off just taking out all together and just running the rear. the rear might hold together for a bit just on the street as mine did but i would not touch the dirt.

Jtmw

with 4.5 i dont think it will last to long, i have a 4.5 inch lift and i drove 80 miles a day to work. the front you are better off just taking out all together and just running the rear. the rear might hold together for a bit just on the street as mine did but i would not touch the dirt.

I'm going with this based on the coilovers/3'' plush coils will i sit around 4.5?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Just because the boot is ripped doesn't mean your driveshaft will blow up. I got 35k+ out of my stock rear with 20k being lifted and I got 40k+ out of my stock front.

dwmgcs

MY stock driveshafts lasted 42k miles before I had to replace them and I have 5" of lift, just make sure to set the rear pinion angle correctly, the front is a crap shoot though trying to find the right castor while getting the best pinion angle, just be ready to buy new shafts if you do it.

Ah2014jk

Just because the boot is ripped doesn't mean your driveshaft will blow up. I got 35k+ out of my stock rear with 20k being lifted and I got 40k+ out of my stock front.

Hate to admit it again overlander but you are 100% correct here !
There is no doubt that you should replace your drive shafts wen going that high at the same time. There is no doubt that it will seriously reduce the life expectancy of the stock one.
It's the same debate as axles. Should you put in D60 as soon as you go to 40s? Yup. Does everyone ? Nope. Do the ones who don't have their jeep suddenly burst into flames? Just keep in mind you will probably need one so don't be surprised when the time comes to replace it.
A perfect example of this is mine. I have run 37s for 8 months and 40s for 2 on a sport D30 with truss and gussets, stock shafts, stock ball joints, stock gears. I have a total of just under 4" of lift and stock shafts. I have babied it to get the parts to lasts but I know I need to replace them before I beat on it. I also know that I had to choose to build from
The top down or the bottom up and I flipped a coin ( literally ) and went too down. I'm now working on finishing the suspension and doing the axles.
The long and short answer is YES you can run the stock ones and get some time to see for the ones you want. Just don't think your jeep is superman in the mean time

onebuilder

If it's in your budget then get aftermarket shafts. If it's not then just be prepared to buy them sooner or later. But you'll be fine for a while.

What shafts do you recommend for a light 2 dr that's playing in the rocks most of its life? Running 35s on a 3.5 AEV with a 6sp manual.

Jtmw

Hate to admit it again overlander but you are 100% correct here !
There is no doubt that you should replace your drive shafts wen going that high at the same time. There is no doubt that it will seriously reduce the life expectancy of the stock one.
It's the same debate as axles. Should you put in D60 as soon as you go to 40s? Yup. Does everyone ? Nope. Do the ones who don't have their jeep suddenly burst into flames? Just keep in mind you will probably need one so don't be surprised when the time comes to replace it.
A perfect example of this is mine. I have run 37s for 8 months and 40s for 2 on a sport D30 with truss and gussets, stock shafts, stock ball joints, stock gears. I have a total of just under 4" of lift and stock shafts. I have babied it to get the parts to lasts but I know I need to replace them before I beat on it. I also know that I had to choose to build from
The top down or the bottom up and I flipped a coin ( literally ) and went too down. I'm now working on finishing the suspension and doing the axles.
The long and short answer is YES you can run the stock ones and get some time to see for the ones you want. Just don't think your jeep is superman in the mean time

If it's in your budget then get aftermarket shafts. If it's not then just be prepared to buy them sooner or later. But you'll be fine for a while.

Thank you both of you, I appreciate it.

Top Bottom