Hard Top removal

MikeO

When removing the hard top and unplugging the electric harness, does this affect the speaker bar? It doesn't seem as loud.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
It shouldn't. The few times I've taken my HT off I haven't noticed a difference.

bkac

Caught the Bug
When removing the hard top and unplugging the electric harness, does this affect the speaker bar? It doesn't seem as loud.

Yes, it does. Jeep regulates it. There's a way to bypass it. Crazy but true. I read it on here somewhere.

MikeO

I thought I read it on here somewhere also. Something about using a piece of wire as a jumper somewhere.

MIURA

What's the point of making the radio quieter when you take the hard top off? Wouldn't you want the opposite since you can't hear sh!t from the road noise?

wcarlson40

WTF? The only thing I remove is the connection in the back for the windshield washer. What the hell are you guys talking about?! I can't tell if this thread is a joke or what?

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
WTF? The only thing I remove is the connection in the back for the windshield washer. What the hell are you guys talking about?! I can't tell if this thread is a joke or what?

This thread is not a joke. And we are talking about the electrical conection for the wiper motor and defog.

Big b

Learn something every day. Mine was originally a hard top. Now I only have a soft top with the connector disconnected.

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
I'd be willing to bet that is Jeep trying to keep the sound emitting by your stock rig below whatever the "emitted noise" standard is for vehicles.

When you take the top off, the sound from you rig isn't trapped inside anymore.

chipper

That doesn't seem right to me. I have a soft top. And when I have the top down my radio is not effected. Wouldn't that be the same as taken the hardtop off?

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Mine doesn't seem to change to the wife or myself. Or anybody else I've had to listen to it. So idk. It's still plenty loud with the top off also.

I have thought about upgrading the speakers though just to get better sound. I've thought about changing the sub out but don't want much bigger of a box. I like the JL Audio stealth box but don't like the price. So I'll probably keep the stock sub.

DA RUNT

Just did mine, made quite a bit difference. :thumb:

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1430064473.233043.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1430064473.233043.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 401

CrazyTrainJK

Caught the Bug
So here is a question, Those of us with the factory soft tops are our radios turned down with this wiring all the time?:idontknow:

Top Bottom