Additional step for LOD sliders

el_chupo_

Have had the sliders on for a few weeks, and the wife is not really finding the step height to be of great use. In contemplating a way to help her further, I was wondering if anyone had built, or considered, some sort of additional step to be used around town, but that can be easily removed when off road.

Basically something shaped like an upside down "U", with post that would go into the holes in the top of the LOD sliders, then the other side hanging down about 6" lower, with a step. So say about 10-12" wide.

The first problem I see with this is without a washer and nut holding this on, or another hole for that to run through, the steps would swing. First thought with that would be make the posts long enough to go through the bottom, and do a plate on the bottom to tighten against.

Not sure if this makes sense without a visual though...

Other possible problem is strength of the top plate.

Does anyone have any other ideas on this front?

Thanks
Matt

JAGS

Hooked
Ridgerunner uses something similar he made for his fiancé. Maybe he'll chime in. Though it's not for LoD sliders.

el_chupo_

Those look interesting, AlStew - any idea who made them or got more pics?

Thanks JAGS, I will go digging through his posts as well, see if I can turn something up.

Its just a hard one to search for, "slider steps", etc...

Thanks

AlStew

Those look interesting, AlStew - any idea who made them or got more pics?

Thanks JAGS, I will go digging through his posts as well, see if I can turn something up.

Its just a hard one to search for, "slider steps", etc...

Thanks

Olympic 4x4 is the company that makes them. No experience with their parts.

el_chupo_

So it does not look like it will be difficult with the original design, I looked at the sliders when I got home and the holes just dont line up.

But the Olympic ones AlStew posted may take care of that.

Any other ideas appreciated.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I can say from having the standard handles that go on the stock cage dont do much to help get it....but when you add a cage or whatever company makes the bolt in handles where the cage ones are....those actually work quite well.

I would suggest trying to make something like the olympic ones, or carry a small folding step stool (have to have this for when I take my mom anywere lol)

trailless

Caught the Bug
I would suggest trying to make something like the olympic ones, or carry a small folding step stool (have to have this for when I take my mom anywere lol)

I would do what hinrichs suggested. Have some fab shop measure out a u shape step that aligns with the holes. Make it to where you can lock it in place with a clamp or something else. Then you can drive around with them on and have the ease of taking them off when wheeling.

Also look into investing in some grabars. It makes getting in your Jeep so much easier, especially compared to the stock handles that tie around the roll cage...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

el_chupo_

I can say from having the standard handles that go on the stock cage dont do much to help get it....but when you add a cage or whatever company makes the bolt in handles where the cage ones are....those actually work quite well.

I already have the stool for taking my mom anywhere as well, just dont want to do that every time the wife and I go somewhere.

I didnt think the handle location would make a difference, will have to look into that. I like the handles a bit futher back so I can hold one with the left hand while driving, but may make the concession...

I would do what hinrichs suggested. Have some fab shop measure out a u shape step that aligns with the holes. Make it to where you can lock it in place with a clamp or something else. Then you can drive around with them on and have the ease of taking them off when wheeling.

Also look into investing in some grabars. It makes getting in your Jeep so much easier, especially compared to the stock handles that tie around the roll cage...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

I would make them myself, not go to a fab shop (gotta get decent at welding, it has been a few years...), but the u shape is exactly what I was saying in the first post. The problem is the holes in the top dont line up with the lower plate. It may be something a little slower for on/off, but still definitely removable. I think I have an idea, I will contact LOD to see what they think before I start on anything though.

Thanks!

Top Bottom