What to do with brake lines?

15unlimited

I recently lifted my JKU with the RK 2.5 stock mod kit. My next step is adding the exhaust spacer kit and brake lines. I'm looking for opinions as to what I should do to get my kit to flex as it should when disconnected.

My thoughts:

Front stainless lines
Exhaust spacer kit
Rear Brake line relocation kit

Do you think I need rear lines? With a stock mod kit, do I need new lines at all or just relocation? Any opinions on the best exhaust spacer kit? I've read that the stock lines are some what difficult to manipulate, is it less headache just to get new lines?

As always, thank you for the help!

15unlimited

If you are doing front stainless lines why not just get a complete set? That's what I would do.

I'm considering that but don't want to waste money on something if its not needed. Trying to figure out if I need to go that route, or if the money can be spent on the 1000 other things I want to buy haha.

toxicwaste29

Im a cheap college kid so for the front I undid the brake line from the retainer that is below the coil spring. You have to put a relief cut in the retainer and then pry it open so the line can come out. The front lines I believe are plenty long for up to a 3" lift (dont hold me to the 3" part; thats what I read). I can take a picture if needed.

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
You can carefully bend the hardliners...several kits tell you to do this and where to make the bends.

I highly recommend that you get new extended brake lines and install them in place of the OEM rubber lines. It may cost you up to $100 (and you will need to bleed your brakes) but this is probably the most important system in your Jeep. If you lose your brakes you will put yourself and any passengers at serious risk.

JK_Epidimick

If you're really on a budget then you could use drop brackets. I wouldn't recommend front drop brackets for off-roading though. I was wheeling and my tire at full lock snagged the bracket and ripped my hard brake line, causing it to crack. Had to finish trail with no breaks (not fun).

So my number one would be full stainless then drop for the back and stainless up front. Then all drop bracket.

Just my .02

15unlimited

Cool. Thanks for the opinions guys, I just didn't want to spend unnecessary money. I want it done right the first time so I'll just change all the lines.

Top Bottom