Vibration when accelerating... help!

Rryanstauffer

Well in Arizona we do not get much rain but we do have a lot of dirt so when it actually does rain I get a little crazy! With that being said after I took her out in the mud i noticrd some vibration when I would accelerate. It's not very bad but definitely noticeable enough to cause some worry.

I thought it may just be some mud throwing off the balance somewhere but after 30 minutes at a self wash station the problem persists.

What could this be? I have a 2010 jku and have had a 2" pucks installed about a year ago with no problems... does that is sound like a bad u joint? Please help and with detail because im no mechanic!

Thanks im advance, like always I appreciate it!

Rryanstauffer

Any one have any advice? I am trying to figure if this is a serious issue that should be resolved before any other damage is done...
Also I going on a 200+ mile trip this weekend and need some insight if this is something that should/would deter me!

I appreciate everyone's insight and knowledge on this site!

Clem319

Any one have any advice? I am trying to figure if this is a serious issue that should be resolved before any other damage is done...
Also I going on a 200+ mile trip this weekend and need some insight if this is something that should/would deter me!

I appreciate everyone's insight and knowledge on this site!

Did you check the drive lines? See if there is any play in them. If there is, prob a bad u joint

Rryanstauffer

I haven't had much of a chance to look at/for anything just yet but even when I do it will be me looking without knowing what I am looking for. I'm not the most skilled or knowledgeable mechanically but am pretty handy... I am pretty sure it isn't the wheel's, I have had a weight come off and can tell it's different. It only vibrates and hums on acceleration as soon as my foot lets off the pedal it stops. The vibration isn't just in the steering wheel, my wife felt it in the passengers seat as well.

Rryanstauffer

I haven't had much of a chance to look at/for anything just yet but even when I do it will be me looking without knowing what I am looking for. I'm not the most skilled or knowledgeable mechanically but am pretty handy... I am pretty sure it isn't the wheel's, I have had a weight come off and can tell it's different. It only vibrates and hums on acceleration as soon as my foot lets off the pedal it stops. The vibration isn't just in the steering wheel, my wife felt it in the passengers seat as well.

Its a little like this when I am looking to find new noises...
region.jpg

jeff_in_rc

Crawl under your jeep from the center and go up to the front drive shaft and see if you can move it up and down in relation to the u-joint at the differential and if you feel it checks out go to the other end by the transfer case and do the same. Then repeat for the rear driveshaft. You should not have any movement or clunking of either drive shaft.

If that checks out start looking at the wheels for signs of weights coming off, you should see a clean spot where one used to be. Look at the back side as well as the outside. Let us know what you find.

jeeeep

Hooked
also check the backside of your wheels, if mud dried up in there it'll knock it out of balance.
as mentioned, possible you knocked off some wheel balance weights.
out of balance or bad ujoint driveline you tend to hear the vibration, not so much feel it in the steering wheel.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Other than checking the wheels, go over your front end and make sure everything is torqued properly as well just incase.

Rryanstauffer

Great thanks everyone... I will give it the rundown when I am off work this afternoon and keep you posted.
The vibration isn't really in the steering wheel, I did put it in reverse before moving anywhere I starting hearing/feeling the vibration so I threw the parking brake on and looked around, thinking it could be some mud where it shouldn't be but couldn't find anything so that makes me feel like it wouldn't be the tires out of balance?

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Great thanks everyone... I will give it the rundown when I am off work this afternoon and keep you posted.
The vibration isn't really in the steering wheel, I did put it in reverse before moving anywhere I starting hearing/feeling the vibration so I threw the parking brake on and looked around, thinking it could be some mud where it shouldn't be but couldn't find anything so that makes me feel like it wouldn't be the tires out of balance?

Tires I think you would get a little movement in the steering wheel. I know I have that once and a while around 40-45 then it goes away. How do your driveshafts look?

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
The fact that it only does it under acceleration makes me think to look past the tires being out of balance. Sounds more like a U-Joint issue or something inside the rear end.

Rryanstauffer

From what I can tell the u joints seem to be ok....

Take a look at my front differential cover tho.... it may be time to do a thorough dif oil change?

I have seen Eddy's write up and have changed the oil before but never taken off the cover to look inside...

Does this loooka and sound like the culprit?

Idk if the attachment worked but it looks like it may be leaking.... no drips but around the top and sides of the cover it has a black oil/dirt ring

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20150428_160125.png
    ForumRunner_20150428_160125.png
    453.7 KB · Views: 40

Zstairlessone

Automatic or manual? If it is only on acceleration it probably isn't a balance issue (but you never know). Is it something you feel or something you hear? Could it be your heat shields rattling possibly? Any difference if you accelerate faster or slower? Does it do it all the time on the throttle or only in certain RPM ranges? Does it vibrate on the brakes?

Rryanstauffer

Alright everyone,
Thank you for all of your insight it is so comforting to have all you genius Jeepers available in my pocket, I hope to have the knowledge that all you guys have! With that being said I feel like a rookie and may have spoke out too soon in worry before I had the chance to do any further inspection myself.... Sorry to waste anyone's time here but I am just going to be honest... It was the damn wind tunnel causing all the vibrations. :dont_tell:

But I must have hit the front differential because the seal was bad so I used the great write up on the thorough differential oil change and it was straightforward and easy enough...
I <3 Wayalife!

Thanks again everybody if you need to feel free to remind me how much of an idiot I am!
:doh:

Top Bottom