Rock sliders

wharfrat1121

Looking for a thread that has pictures of everyones rock sliders. Can someone point me in the right direction? If no such thread exists then please post a pic of your sliders and let me know how they have held up.

Your best bet is to look through all the builds.

For me I have the LoD Signature Series sliders and they have held up well. Another option is to watch some of the video's on the WAYALIFE YouTube channel.

bkac

Caught the Bug
I've had both the LoD and now the EVO. Both will take a beating and do a great job. They both hold up great. I will have to say the one thing I am disappointed with is that the EVO sliders have about 1 foot they hang past the rear mount and when I hit hard on a rock on moab my slider flexed into the pinch seem pretty good causing it to bend. I have about a 3/4" gap between it normally. Still really like them.
Search for Weston build thread and Diez build thread of you want to see pictures.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I've had both the LoD and now the EVO. Both will take a beating and do a great job. They both hold up great. I will have to say the one thing I am disappointed with is that the EVO sliders have about 1 foot they hang past the rear mount and when I hit hard on a rock on moab my slider flexed into the pinch seem pretty good causing it to bend. I have about a 3/4" gap between it normally. Still really like them.
Search for Weston build thread and Diez build thread of you want to see pictures.

So you're saying your slider flexed into your body and popped back straight?

bkac

Caught the Bug
So you're saying your slider flexed into your body and popped back straight?

Yes, it didn't permanently bend and the gap is still the same. If you catch the very end on your slider coming off something really hard it will give. I have proof of that with my pinch seem bent up.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Yes, it didn't permanently bend and the gap is still the same. If you catch the very end on your slider coming off something really hard it will give. I have proof of that with my pinch seem bent up.

If your sliders flexed into your tub, they would stay bent. Your body is on rubber isolators. Your body flexed into your sliders. Just saying..

big dr

You didnt need that pinch seem anyway!!! Happy belated!

And to the OP,, Mine were custom made by my fab guy and made out of some seriously thick pipe, then welded to the frame,,,, NO FLEX!

Attachments

• IMG_0033.jpg
    IMG_0033.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_0034.jpg
    IMG_0034.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 257

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

EVO sliders don't bend. Your body moves because it is attached to little rubber bushings.

bkac

Caught the Bug
I agree that I'm sure the body had some play in it but if you put a high lift jack on the very end of my slider towards the rear and Jack the Jeep up they move maybe I have a bad set. Idk, I'm only stating what I see. Mine have not hit where the mounts are only at the very end where is about 12 inches past the Mount. I would think if the body flexed it would have hit the mount of the slider that's actually closer to the pinch seem. I think they're an amazing product and I would definitely recommend them and buy them again in a heartbeat. They do exactly what they should do. When this happened I didn't have enough clearance to get over the obstacle and I had to slam the rock and use the slider to bump the Jeep up and over.
I swear in one of the four parts from JKX last year there is a slow motion picture of someone's slider and you can see it flexing as they use it around the rock.

bkac

Caught the Bug
Lol, I'm sure that's it.

:)
I know that's not it. Maybe it is just completely the body flexing.

Check out part 1 of 2014 JKX @ 7:20

See the end of the slider. That's kind of what I'm talking about. I can tell you my Jeep would be destroyed without them!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Unlike the TJ, YJ and CJ before which essentially had what looked like rubber hockey pucks for body mounts, the JK is the first Wrangler to come with TRUE body mounts in that they are "isolators". Take one off and give it a close look and you will see how it is a rubber mount in a steel collar with a crush sleeve in the center that you can practically move by hand. These isolators will allow for a tremendous amount of movement and that's one of the reasons why you feel such little road noise in a JK. In fact, there is enough movement here that if you run a CB coax cable through the rear quarter panel so that you can route it onto a rear bumper tire carrier, a big hit to that bumper can cause the pinch seam to make contact with the frame and cut that cable. How do I know? It's happened to us on our Jeep and I saw it happen. The video you are referring to is Part 1 of the JKX where the RFA Jeep hits a rock at Walker Valley hard enough to move the rocker guard toward the body. Again, this is due to the isolators and it will allow for the same kind of movement and ANY rocker guard mounted to the frame rails will show the same thing. This is NOT to say that there aren't some rocker guards that do in fact bend. I have personally seen where a set of PSC rocker guards have taken a hit and bent up to the point where they prevented the passenger side doors from opening.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
But, but, but...I have magic tubing that flexes and then springs back to its original place. It's .020 DOM Rubberbandsteel.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I have a few pictures at home of my recent install. I purchased mine from Rocky Road Outfitters out of Utah. For me, I wanted sliders that NEVER bent and that were mounted to the pinch seam and the frame. They are indestructible, truly. Guaranteed for life to never bend. I might have a few pictures in my build thread too. Edit: added build thread.

So let me get this straight. You've taken a solid object (the sliders) and mounted them concurrently to two separate objects: (1) the frame that doesn't move and (2) the pinch seam that is part of the tub and moves with the tub on the rubber isolators. So basically, you have bolted your body to the frame so the rubber isolators no longer work. Well, that sounds like a hell of an idea.:crazyeyes:

Post up pics when you rip your tub apart.

Last edited:

Havoc40

So let me get this straight. You've taken a solid object (the sliders) and mounted them concurrently to two separate objects, (1) the frame that doesn't move and (2) the pinch seam that is part of the tub and moves with the tub on the rubber isolators. So basically, you have bolted your body to the frame so the rubber isolators no longer work. Well, that sounds like a hell of an idea.:crazy eyes:

Post up pics when you rip your tub apart.

:crazyeyes: I was thinking the same thing!

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
Those isolaters allow for quite a bit of body movement. After a recent trip to the Rubicon, I happened to be under the Jeep and noticed little dents in the pinch seam where the EVO Slider tubes made contact with the seam. There is a solid 1/2-3/4" between the slider tube and seam, but a couple of hard hits closed that gap in a hurry.

I would really pick on mounting place whether it be the tub or frame. This will allow for the isolaters to do their work.

Top Bottom