Trailer help

TheStick

I bought a small 4x7 utility trailer so I can move stuff around the ranch, pick up supplies, etc. The most drop I could find for the hitch was 8" and it still ramps up quite a bit.

I have seen people as they build off road trailers flip the leaf springs to sit on top of the axel and thought about doing this to mine. Any thoughts before I do this? Is it just as simple as flipping it with the stock hardware?

It is just connected with some U bolts. Any thoughts on how high to torque these back to if I can simple flip it?

Just want to make sure I do not create a dangerous situation by doing it wrong.

Last edited:

JayKay

Caught the Bug
I bought a small 4x7 utility trailer so I can move stuff around the ranch, pick up supplies, etc. The most drop I could find for the hitch was 8" and it still ramps up quite a bit.

I have seen people as they build off road trailers flip the leaf springs to sit on top of the axel and though about doing this to mine. Any thoughts before I do this? Is it just as simple as flipping it with the stock hardware?

It is just connected with some U bolts. Any thoughts on how high to torque these back to if I can simple flip it?

Post a picture of the springs and axle...this will help with your question

ECHOE

I have seen people as they build off road trailers flip the leaf springs to sit on top of the axel and though about doing this to mine. Any thoughts before I do this? Is it just as simple as flipping it with the stock hardware?

I was just looking into this myself. Before redoing your trailer- I have a 5" lift on my JKUR and I trailer quite a bit of lightweight stuff. I was able to find 10" hitches- either static or adjustable. Not sure if that will give you enough drop. Try searching on the web for 10" ball mount.

TheStick

I was just looking into this myself. Before redoing your trailer- I have a 5" lift on my JKUR and I trailer quite a bit of lightweight stuff. I was able to find 10" hitches- either static or adjustable. Not sure if that will give you enough drop. Try searching on the web for 10" ball mount.

10" would probably be about perfect, just wasn't able to find one locally.

I still might prefer to lift it a bit though.

Here is a pic of how the leafs attach.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1430240762.210921.jpg

BlackHawk08jk

You will get close to 4" of life flipping them because I hand a ford ranger and did the opposite to drop it and it dropped right at 4"

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
You will get close to 4" of life flipping them because I hand a ford ranger and did the opposite to drop it and it dropped right at 4"

All of that depends on the axle tube diameter, springs, perch height, etc. The two cant be compared unless everything were identical.

TheStick

All of that depends on the axle tube diameter, springs, perch height, etc. The two cant be compared unless everything were identical.

Yeah, the tube is only about 2" thick, so I would think that would basically be the lift, plus the spacing of the hardware, so maybe 2.5"?

I think I will give it a try, just torque it as far as it will go I guess?

Top Bottom