Using the 5 Speed Auto

JohnnyJk

Hey guys,
I haven't even completed a month with my jeep and am pretty new to having multiple gears like this. Could someone please give me an overview on how and when (certain rpm to switch gears at, snow, off road, etc.) to use the different gears. Hope that makes sense. Appreciate it!
-JohnnyJk

USMC Wrangler

You're talking about the auto-stick feature, right? I've used it mostly off-road and just feel it out like driving a manual.

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
I really only use the stick in a few scenarios:

* I see a bug grade coming up and want to drop into 4th prior to loading up the trans

* The auto has already shifted down a gear and I want it to hold that gear (maybe multiple hill climbs in a row.) Once the auto has made the downshift, just tap the stick to the right and it will hold the current gear.

* Offroad. Using the manual portion really comes in handy when in 4lo too.

I personally don't mess with it otherwise. The new trans that is mounted to the 3.6 is great and I figured I'll just let it do its job. :)

Oh, in case you haven't already figured it out (took me a couple of weeks), to put it back into "D," just hold the stick to the right for a few seconds.

trailless

Caught the Bug
Oh, in case you haven't already figured it out (took me a couple of weeks), to put it back into "D," just hold the stick to the right for a few seconds.

Or if you're already on 5th then tap right once and it'll go back to Drive too.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Lil Nasty

I like to use mine when pulling a trailer down the highway. 3.73's and 35" tires at 65-70 mph doesn't pair too well in 5th gear. I use the manual selector to keep it in 4th at 65mph.

CrazyTrainJK

Caught the Bug
I really only use the stick in a few scenarios:

* I see a bug grade coming up and want to drop into 4th prior to loading up the trans

* The auto has already shifted down a gear and I want it to hold that gear (maybe multiple hill climbs in a row.) Once the auto has made the downshift, just tap the stick to the right and it will hold the current gear.

* Offroad. Using the manual portion really comes in handy when in 4lo too.

I personally don't mess with it otherwise. The new trans that is mounted to the 3.6 is great and I figured I'll just let it do its job. :)

I hadn't figured out holding the shifter to the right yet:clap2: Thanks

Top Bottom