Rubi Shock Performance

dunn81

I've tried to keep my build as inexpensive as possible, but thus far I am not happy with the on road ride quality. I have had set-ups similar to this in the past and feel the ride should be a little better. (I have roughly 16,000 miles on my Jeep and it hasn't been banged on any trails. It has a slight vibration that may be the lugs, but also hops a little at different speed intervals like the tires are out of balance.) Here's what I've done and plan to do; please let me know what else to try:

TeraFlex leveling kit
New 35x12.5 BFG KM2 (air pressure @28; been gradually dropping to find sweet spot)
New Ultra 17x8.5 (balanced 2x)

I have ordered extended sway bar links to manage the dip and roll (not the issue I'm fighting at this point)

I plan to order Rancho 9000XLs today (with the increased rotating weight; I'm wondering if the stock Rubi shock is struggling to damper)

Previously I had a '07 JKU sport with OME springs/shocks/35x12.5x17 BFG KM2/17x9 ProComp: Ride was nice
Last year my '12 JKU Sahara with OME springs/sport shocks/35x12.5x18 ToyoMT/18x7.5 Factory wheels: Ride was decent as well

I have had a TJ and the '07 on spacers before the OME that I was less than happy with overall ride/drive quality. Am I expecting too much from the factory rubi springs or will the Rancho's smooth things out enough until a true lift or coils are in the budget?

Thanks for your suggestions...

tharb5111

I've heard great things about the 9000s. Not sure but if you got the stiffer rubi springs with tow package the ride is a bit stiffer. I got the tow package and stiff rubicon springs s and the ride is a bit harsher but all I've ever known so I don't mind. Kids don't complain so I'm good.

However I've read that spacers increase control arm angle and thus more road bumps are felt into the frame, body and your seat.

Did you Loosen control arms up and jump up and down on jeep to reseat bushings do they aren't in a bind? Retighten control arms bolts to spec torque (120 rear and front lowers, 95 front upper if I recall correctly. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong)

this helped my ride soften up a lot after I installed my level kit. Should help you as well if you haven't done so.

Also I heard evo plush ride springs are nice.

Hope this helps.

tharb5111

Also my jeep with tow package had a much higher ride height stock in rear so it didn't require the spacer in the rear to level it. Just the front spacers were required. Using the rear raised my rear up too high and really hurt my uptravel and made the ride bounce over tracks and ruts in road n. Once I removed the rear spacer and leveled the ride and reloosened and tightened rear control arms ride quality returned to stock without new springs or shocks.

dunn81

I did buy it new. I may have noticed some difference when I installed the spacers (level and spidertrax), but nothing bad. This was only a week or so prior to wheels and tires. After the tires and wheels were installed is when it was noticeable. Air pressure was the first to be adjusted (shop had 40psi). I removed spidertrax to see if this would help, it did not. I had shop re-balance tires (they were off a little) and I lowered psi a few more pounds to current 28. It is better, but still needs attention. I have re-installed spidertrax and used all the spacers on the teraflex level kit.

Jeep does not have tow package (4.10 gears were individual option and I had to purchase receiver and harness). It's not really a harsh ride, but more of a dull vibration and wheel hop at intermittent speeds. I really want to blame the wheels, but they check true when balanced. I'm also being fairly critical as I went back to the BFG's in hopes of the best ride possible (when I switch to evo plush or coil-overs, lol!).

I will do the control arm routine and hope the Rancho's help...

toxicwaste29

When I pulled my stock shocks off at only around 8k miles all four were blown. Not sure if they are the same quality as the rubi or not though.

dunn81

With the body rubbing... Should made myself more clear. I thought I had read somewhere it was tight fit or required a mod.

dunn81

Did you remove the washer on studs before installing spacers?

Yes. Removed washers on first installation, completely removed spacers; now have spidertrax re-installed. I've never had issues with wheel spacers on previous installations, but wanted to rule out anything that was changed.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
I installed 18/59 springs, Rubi shocks AND TF leveling kit 2 pucks in front and 1 in rear. Although I am running 255's it rides nice no wandering or vibrations. I also have 74,000 miles on it. As mentioned did you loosen all associated parts and then tighten and re-torque per spec while on the ground?

dunn81

I installed 18/59 springs, Rubi shocks AND TF leveling kit 2 pucks in front and 1 in rear. Although I am running 255's it rides nice no wandering or vibrations. I also have 74,000 miles on it. As mentioned did you loosen all associated parts and then tighten and re-torque per spec while on the ground?

I did not loosen control arms during or after level kit. I will try that asap. I have a hard time believing it would be froze after driving for 2-3 weeks, but it's worth a shot.

dunn81

I did not loosen control arms during or after level kit. I will try that asap. I have a hard time believing it would be froze after driving for 2-3 weeks, but it's worth a shot.

I also did not have any noticeable issues while running factory BFGs with TF and spidertrax. It became obvious with the 35s and Ultras

dunn81

I completed the following in different intervals over the past few weeks. My ride has improved mostly due to the shock installation.

Did the control arm drill, no change.
Replaced swaybar links, no change (didn't expect any, just stating the change)
Installed Rancho 9000XL shocks, seems to have buffered a little and I definitely like the ability to soften up the ride a little.
I will be adding Evo 3" plush ride coils later this summer. I fully expect any remaining ride issues to fade away at that time.

Top Bottom