Help! Grinding sound/quick left turns?

tharb5111

Anybody know what this or how to fix it?

When going slow in a parking lot, if I make a sudden left turn and apply breaks(or not) there will sometimes (rarely) be a sharp loud grinding sound. The Jeep has done it a few times (maybe once a month over the last year) since I bought it a year ago. it is nearly stock except for level kit. At first I thought maybe the brakes just needed to break in our settle. But it hasn't stopped a year later. I still notice it from time to time.

All bolts tight to factory spec. I checked brakes for trapped stones or debris. Nothing. Checked all bolts on end of axle and looked for signs of rubbing. None.

Is it a bad bearing? Ball joint bad (jeep is one year old, all stock tires)? Or maybe it's the traction control system kicking in. But why only when I turn left sharply and suddenly at slow speeds does this happen and only rarely? Odd.

Very curious and couldn't find anything that resolved the issue on google. Although I saw several posts where others had a similar grinding sound/ experience.

Any insight would be helpful.

Last edited:
Did you check the brake rotor shield? I had one that would rub when turning just enough to squeal when turning left.

JAGS

Hooked
It's a 2014 right? Take it to the dealer and have them check it out. It's under warranty and also documents the service in case any issues come up in the future. For what it's worth though, sounds like maybe the heat shield making contact with something on the turn.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
It's done it since you bought it a year ago and you never went to the dealership? You waited a year to ask for help?

Lol

tharb5111

I know. Lol. Kinda funny I waited so long but It happened so rarely that I didn't give it much thought. Lol. my 20 thousand mile service is coming up and I'll mention it to them. Doubt they will pursue it as it doesn't do it all the time and is hard to replicate. I just thought I'd see if any of you had resolved a similar issue in your own. I did check brake shield and it seems normal when compared to right side. Didn't see any rocks or debris either. Like I said it's intermittent and only occurs sometimes I if I turn suddenly into a parking spot that I quickly notice last minute. When I brake and turn quick to angle in at slow speed it sometimes does it. Really odd in that it doesn't do it all the time. Maybe I notice it once every other month or so when I maneuver the wheel suddenly to the left.

Last edited:

tharb5111

Update. I located the source of the occasional grinding sound. Finally!

So I have extended Terraflex sway bar links for level kit. For whatever reason the right side sway bar link rubs against the right spring tower shield on sharp left turns as the body rolls right. I saw evidence of rubbing today where the bolt is rubbing a scratch pattern in the upper right spring shield.

So I don't see a way to move the sway bar right so I broke out my drimmel. After grinding down the upper right spring shield edge it seems to have helped some with clearance.

I will keep testing this week and update if more grinding is required.

So glad I finally found the source of the grinding problem. This has been bugging me for a long time!

It seems Terraflex extended sway bar links have clearance issues with my 2014 Jeep JKU Willys Wheeler Edition.

Anyone else experience similar issues with their Terraflex sway bar extension links?

Last edited:
Top Bottom