Beef Up Rubi Rails?

BigWillysStyle

Okay I wanna beef up my Rubi rails so they will actually take a good solid hit and not crush my rocker. My idea- Cut 2" DOM section diagonally, weld them to the bottom of the Rubi Rail and then weld the DOM to the frame using a footprint plate to spread out the load, then unbolt the Rubi Rail from the Tub. Should stay in its factory location but not easily roll up
Into the tub? Maybe later add some rock bars to protect the mid rocker. Is my thinking right or way off?

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Way off. The gap between the factory rail and body is too close. You'll do more harm than good. And don't tie them to the frame and pinch seams at the same time. Better off with a quality set of rails. Evo or lod. Haven't looked into rock hard, might give them a look.

BigWillysStyle

No there's no limitation, I just enjoy fabbing my own stuff up and love the look of the Rubicon Rails so I figured I could build around that platform.

No there's no limitation, I just enjoy fabbing my own stuff up and love the look of the Rubicon Rails so I figured I could build around that platform.

Olram is right, you can fab up your own rails, but you dont want to attach the pinch seam/tub to the frame. Body mounts allow for too much movement and something WILL break.

BigWillysStyle

Right, I understand the dynamics of the forces applied to something that's both solid mounted (at frame) and things that ride on rubber bushings (Jeep tubs). The part I didn't account for was overall proximity of the rubicon rails to rockers and the fact that even frame mounted attachments for the Rubicon rails could cause enough movement to damage the rocker panel

Top Bottom