Joshua Tree Trails

ca_14jk

Hi All,

This weekend I finally get some time off work and was thinking about taking my stock rubicon up to Joshua Tree and doing some of the trails. I am new at off roading and want to make sure the trails are not out of my league because it's going to be only my girlfriend and I having some fun and enjoying the day.

Any tips for a Newbie?
What trails I should stay away from?

Thanks all!

BlackHat

Hi All,

This weekend I finally get some time off work and was thinking about taking my stock rubicon up to Joshua Tree and doing some of the trails. I am new at off roading and want to make sure the trails are not out of my league because it's going to be only my girlfriend and I having some fun and enjoying the day.

Any tips for a Newbie?
What trails I should stay away from?

Thanks all!

One tip is to post this in the correct area this is the Tech thread not trip and destinations thread.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Try Berdoo Canyon. Starts off of Dillon Road in Coachella and ends up in Joshua Tree National Park. Definitely a mild trail you can do solo and plenty or scenery along the way.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1430454137.535811.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1430454165.526299.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1430454190.575027.jpg

xx-LSD-xx

It's the only 4x4 trail in the park. You'll end up on Geology tour road.
I recommend you air down your tires to 20 psi 15 if you have a air compressor and disconnect your front sway bars.
The ride will be much better on the dirt.
DON'T DRIVE OVER 35 ON PAVEMENT WITH AIR DOWNED TIRES........BLOWOUT!
Have Fun!

Clem319

I recommend you air down your tires to 20 psi 15 if you have a air compressor and disconnect your front sway bars.
Have Fun!

I also do this most of the time because my on board air does not exist. Also would like to here the story.

Pyro1415

Please please take someone with you. Its pretty easy to get stuck and even break stuff. Have a buddy with a 4x4 go along or find a local club.

SilverBack

I also do this most of the time because my on board air does not exist. Also would like to here the story.

Low tire air pressure increases friction between the tires and the surface of the road. This is why you get better traction off-road. This works against you on the street because the increased friction at speed heats the rubber of the tire and weakens it, sometimes to the point of a blowout. Always inflate your tires to the proper air pressure before traveling on a steady level surface.

Clem319

Low tire air pressure increases friction between the tires and the surface of the road. This is why you get better traction off-road. This works against you on the street because the increased friction at speed heats the rubber of the tire and weakens it, sometimes to the point of a blowout. Always inflate your tires to the proper air pressure before traveling on a steady level surface.

Makes sense. Guess I've just been lucky

ca_14jk

Have Fun!

Welp, Didn't get a chance to go this weekend after all. Got called in to work. I might just hanging on until i am able to install my ARB compressor and mount after your suggestion. I just ordered that and a Warn Zeon Wench 10-s. I'm excited to start getting stuff added to the jeep.

ca_14jk

Please please take someone with you. Its pretty easy to get stuck and even break stuff. Have a buddy with a 4x4 go along or find a local club.

Very true. I will ask a friend to go as well, thats the last thing I want to get out there and get stuck

Pyro1415

Very true. I will ask a friend to go as well, thats the last thing I want to get out there and get stuck

My first day with my jeep I went out with a buddy and his girlfriend. Got high centered amd it took us about 3 hours to get unstuck and we were lucky. Also was in a place we later found was illegal.

Pyro1415

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1430941192.026272.jpg

Lockers, 5mph faster, common sense or mud tires could have prevented this, but another jeep would have fixed this in 5minutes.

K.D.C.H

View attachment 141386

Lockers, 5mph faster, common sense or mud tires could have prevented this, but another jeep would have fixed this in 5minutes.

Lockers in that 30 could have also caused a whole other laundry list of problems too.

Common sense and picking the right line really go a long way also. My Jeep is also a sport so I have the D30 in the front and no lockers at all. Last month we did the Rubicon up to little sluice and back and I never had an issue once where I needed a locker. Would it be nice to have once I upgrade my axles, yes but I made it over all the rocks just fine and believe me they are a lot bigger than that bump you're trying to go over there

ca_14jk

Lockers in that 30 could have also caused a whole other laundry list of problems too.

Common sense and picking the right line really go a long way also. My Jeep is also a sport so I have the D30 in the front and no lockers at all. Last month we did the Rubicon up to little sluice and back and I never had an issue once where I needed a locker. Would it be nice to have once I upgrade my axles, yes but I made it over all the rocks just fine and believe me they are a lot bigger than that bump you're trying to go over there

What trail is this? .. Looks like that was a heck of a trail for the sport.

Top Bottom