High Milage JK's

94YJBeaver

I know this question is really ambiguous and there might already be a thread on this, but I am looking into used JK's and I am curious about the 3.8L and 3.6L motors. I currently have a 4.0L YJ with 214k on it and I am not bashful about buying a 4.0L with over 100k on it, but what about the 3.8L and 3.6L. Does anyone know how many miles they are getting out of these motors? Again I know its all about how well its been maintained, but my father in law replaced his 4.0L at 120k and was really good with oil changes where as I am not. any input would be great.

Thanks
David

Pyro1415

3.6!!!!!!!!! I have the 3.8 with an auto it sucks man, your yj is a lot lighter so it might work and with a stick there half decent.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What I can tell you is this, while the old 3.8L motor sucked when it came to HP, the one I had in my 2007 JK lasted well over 100K miles and I know others with well over that and without any issues. While I love the power the 3.6L provides in my 2012, it's starting to consume oil and it's only got 75k miles on it. Guys like piginajeep, Strainger, ttfhell, EVO have all had oil consumption problems with their 3.6L motor as well and most have way fewer miles on theirs. Not saying this is the rule for everyone who has a 3.6L, just what I have seen.

Pyro1415

Floored everywhere 52k miles no oil burn, but gas it drinks like a Russian with a bottle of vodka and hits 60 after a minute.

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
I've only got 44K miles on my 3.6 and to be truthful, haven't wheeled it nearly as much as I want to, but it doesn't use a drop between oil changes every 5K miles. Gotta be one of two things: Jeep put out some Pentastars with issues or the engine just wasn't designed with heavy lifting in mind. I think it's the former and it took Jeep awhile to get the bugs out of a new engine. My son had a Caravan with a Pentastar and like my 2012 he had to have a head replaced under warranty. Bottom line, I'd buy another one.

Hot94Z28

What I can tell you is this, while the old 3.8L motor sucked when it came to HP, the one I had in my 2007 JK lasted well over 100K miles and I know others with well over that and without any issues. While I love the power the 3.6L provides in my 2012, it's starting to consume oil and it's only got 75k miles on it. Guys like piginajeep, Strainger, ttfhell, EVO have all had oil consumption problems with their 3.6L motor as well and most have way fewer miles on theirs. Not saying this is the rule for everyone who has a 3.6L, just what I have seen.

Wonder if it's an issue with 2012's? Mine is a 2013 have 35,000 miles and no burning but everyone's is different. I like the power the 3.6 has but I never owned one with a 3.8.

jeeeep

Hooked
2010 jku 4.88 gears & 35's at 10000 miles, 37's at about 105000 miles, now at 116000 miles and has started using about a quart of oil between changes, i change the oil every 6000 miles

Top Bottom