Front license plate bracket

BuckeyeJeep

Does anyone have recommendations for a front bumper bracket on a modified bumper (expedition one basic DX bumper)? I currently do not have a winch but do plan on getting a synthetic one.

I know they make them for rollers...but for a synthetic one...I can't seem to find it!

I'm living in one of those states that 2 plates are required...

battleborn_jk

Does anyone have recommendations for a front bumper bracket on a modified bumper (expedition one basic DX bumper)? I currently do not have a winch but do plan on getting a synthetic one.

I know they make them for rollers...but for a synthetic one...I can't seem to find it!

I'm living in one of those states that 2 plates are required...

Read the statutes closely, Buckeye. I can't speak for Ohio, but in Nevada we are supposed to have two plates, but the statutes read:

"If the motor vehicle was not manufactured to include a bracket, device or other contrivance to display and secure a front license plate, and if the manufacturer of the motor vehicle provided no other means or method by which a front license plate may be displayed upon and secured to the motor vehicle:
(a) One license plate must be attached to the motor vehicle in the rear"

A winch equipped bumper wasn't manufactured to display a front plate, so boom- loophole!

I'm pretty sure the state legislators put the loophole in there so they would have to drill holes in their fancy foreign sports cars... Again, not sure about Ohio, but it might be worth taking 5 minutes to read the statutes.

BuckeyeJeep

Read the statutes closely, Buckeye. I can't speak for Ohio, but in Nevada we are supposed to have two plates, but the statutes read:

"If the motor vehicle was not manufactured to include a bracket, device or other contrivance to display and secure a front license plate, and if the manufacturer of the motor vehicle provided no other means or method by which a front license plate may be displayed upon and secured to the motor vehicle:
(a) One license plate must be attached to the motor vehicle in the rear"

A winch equipped bumper wasn't manufactured to display a front plate, so boom- loophole!

I'm pretty sure the state legislators put the loophole in there so they would have to drill holes in their fancy foreign sports cars... Again, not sure about Ohio, but it might be worth taking 5 minutes to read the statutes.

Good point, I'll have to take a look. I'm still fairly new to owning a JK and learning about all these fun modified stuff we can have! I'm just getting started, thanks!

Wardell

I'd be careful calling that a loophole. That regulation mentions "the manufacturer of the motor vehicle," not the manufacturer of an after market bumper you put on. The Jeep factory bumpers all come with a licence plate bracket for the front bumper, including the 10A bumper that is made for installing a winch (even though doing so requires removing the filler plate the bracket screws onto). I suppose you could still try to argue it, but I doubt you would get very far.

But still, what's the penalty? A fix-it ticket with a small fine? There's plenty of people who run without one on the front and accept the risk of getting caught since it wouldn't cost them very much.

If you want to stay legal, that AEV bracket or something similar would be the way to go. I'm just glad there are no front plates up here.

Last edited:

battleborn_jk

Definitely not trying to encourage lawlessness, but you are right, what's the penalty? I've been driving every car I've owned for the past 15 years (+ my wife's cars) without a front plate in a "2 plate" state without ever getting pulled over. For the look of a clean front end, the reward has been worth the risk for me.

Just putting it out there :)

xrocknrollx

I bought 1/2" longer bolts for the fairlead and a few extra nuts to sandwich the license plate. Then drilled my license plate out for the width of the Hawse fairlead. Cost me all of $5 to get my plate mounted.

IMAG0332.jpg

Last edited:

brooklyn4x4

I say just get some zip ties and throw it on the grill cheap and easy and you Don't have to worry about getting a ticket

Attachments

• 1430569313275.jpg
    1430569313275.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 60
Top Bottom