Rear "clunk" ??

Ah2014jk

So recently while driving onroad I get a sort of clunk sound over bumps from the rear end. Any ideas as I'm stumped.

RockyJk

Make sure all the bolts are torqued to spec, sway bar links, shocks, control arms etc...

Ah2014jk

Ya I'm gonna check it all over tomorrow. I did a quick check but it was getting dark. I hope it's something simple

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
So recently while driving onroad I get a sort of clunk sound over bumps from the rear end. Any ideas as I'm stumped.

I had this happen to me, and it took a while to pin down, as it happened intermittently. It ended up being one of the rear shocks. Make sure everything it torqued down to spec. Although it may appear to be tight, ensuring everything it torqued properly can make a world of difference. I had to replace the bottom bushing on the passenger side shock, re-torque and everything was fine. Let us know what you find!

Ah2014jk

Have you done any work on your jeep recently?

You obviously have my seenu build thread ( just kidding around ). In the past short time frame there has been just about every part changed. Bumpers fenders body armour shocks spring control arms ext etc. I have a feeling it may be upper shock mounts in the rear and will check torque tomorrow when I put in the second set of springs in two
Months.

JP Girl

I actually started having the same problem today and my Jeep is only a week old... We went under the Jeep and tried shaking everything, but it all seems tight. Not sure where to look next!

Trail JK

I had a similar sound today and it turned out that the bolt on the control arm needed tightening.

Our driveway is on a slant so I had to roll forward slowly and slam on the brakes (clunk) a few times while Ray was outside of the jeep until we figured out it was the control arm. Not sure if it's the same thing but it's worth checking out.

Ah2014jk

Well tried a few thing while I was changing over the springs ( EVO 4"PLUSH RIDE BABY ). So far... Nothing. The damn clunk is still there

RockyJk

Similar to what TrailJK did have someone bounce the jeep while you're under it and see if you can isolate where the noise is coming from

JAGS

Hooked
Check your rear sway bar link bolts.

Also, check your tire carrier/rear bumper to make sure all is secure with that.

Ah2014jk

So here is what has been checked so far
1- shock torque
2- took the old Jack out
3- tightened the sway bar bolts
4- shook the exhaust

Could it be possible that it's caused by either
A- my sway bar links are WAY to short
B- my track bar is pulling the rear out
( waiting on my track bar brackets, new sway bar links)

Top Bottom