Mistakes Were Made (MT/R Kevlar)

Slappy32

I got my 2014 JKU in May of last year. It's a Copperhead Sport with half doors and AT. I wanted to build it up myself and did tons of research. Research that was before I found Wayalife. That means it's all Meatalcloaked up and I have 37" Wrangler MT/R tires. At least I had the sense to get a ProRock 44 and a ProRock 60.

This story is about the tires. Since day one, it tracked true with no shimmy in the steering wheel. It really drove great until I rotated the tires when I installed a ProGrip brake kit. There was some shimmy in the steering wheel afterwards, but it wasn't bad so I let it go. Fast forward a few weeks later and while I'm out of town, my wife is driving Abe and calls me. She describes death wobble while she was driving with my daughter! When I get back home, I can replicate the DW at 50 mph, but it is intermittent. Sometimes it's fine with a little shimmy sometimes full on DW.

I get on Wayalife to help me diagnose the issue, and the track bar is tight on both ends, the steering box is tight and the ball joints are ProSteer and less than a year old. I take it into my local garage and have the tires rebalanced because of the shimmy. It doesn't fix the problem. I go back and re-read. Road Force Balance, hmm. Could it really make a difference? Luckily, a shop in Key Largo has the machine, but it's broken. After a week of staying under 45 mph, they call and say they have a brand new Hunter Road Force Balancer and to come on in.

It takes a few hours, as they remove the rims and index the tires in the optimal position, but I get the call to come pick Abe up. They tell me after running the machine that two of my tires are over 100 out (whatever that means (it's bad)) and were not able to be brought into true. The other two are fine and that's what they mounted on the front. No more shimmy and no more death wobble! Awesome! I still want to get under there and make sure the Metalcloak drag link ends aren't loose, but I'm happy the Jeep is safe to drive again.

I'm really unhappy with Goodyear, however, and my plan is to put the MT/R's up on Craigslist and replace them with Nitto Trail Grapplers. I'm a firm believer that the Wrangler MT/R Kevlar is garbage as has been mentioned many times on this site. My tires only have 9k miles on them. If I had found Wayalife sooner, I would have already had the Nittos. Mo money! Also, I see an EVO Double D Pro in my future.

My take away from all of this?

This site has great advice based on real world experience. Listen to what they say. If they don't like a method or a product, it's coming from real world situations. It is well organized and friendly (except for the OverlanderJK snark :D :drinks:) and something else I can relate to: They are constantly in search of the best, wherever that road may lead. I used to think that they pushed whatever sponsors were affiliated with the site, but I now see it is the other way around. You won't be considered for sponsorship, unless you make a quality product.

Well done Eddie and friends on what you have built here!

Here's a pic of Abe in his current form.

IMG_2703.jpg

Last edited:

Hot94Z28

Agreed this site is great for real world info I wish I found it sooner I would not be running this RK lift. They did swear me right on my slider was going to get ACE bolt on but figured out EVO was the strongest out there.

Pyro1415

Yeah I've been a long term reader. Still like psc stuff but at least I can say I've never bought anything from shitty I mean smittybilt.

HoosierWolf

My wife loves the look of the MT Kevlars but I've talked her out of them due to all the information/experiences I've read on here regarding them.

Your pic is making me miss Key Largo btw. I'm now thinking of a blackened fish sandwich and key lime pie from Mrs. Mac's. *drool*

USMCvet

Banned
I'm having the same issues with the MT/R's in 37". I have taken the issue to DTD and Goodyear, pulled the veteran card and nothing. They simply don't care. That said, up on Craigslist they will go and MTZ's are going on my rig.

toxicwaste29

I've read tons of posts about people with the mtrs and balancing issues and such. I would never even consider them a tire option unless its a trail only rig

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Thank you for sharing your real world experience, we appreciate the support. Who would've thought people getting real experience on bad products having nothing to do with sponsorships.

mackey

You are definitely not the first. A lot of us have rebuilt our Jeeps or sold them and started over. My first Jeep was a Teraflex build. I listened to the guys at 4WheelParts and regretted it. Luckily I also found Wayalife and am finally doing it right. I'm glad you got things figured out.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
This sounds like my exact experience with two sets of the MT/R Kevlars. A set of 35/12.50/17s and a set of 37/12.50/17s. Worst tires I've ever ran. Tried to have the 37s road force balanced and they said the same thing.

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
Just go with Nitto Trail graps and be done with it! Have never needed to balance them even with my slabs rings all torn up. Will always stick with them when replacing.

gradymeister

This is good info! I have EVO bolt on coilovers, drag link flip, Tom woods drive shaft, and currie front lower control arms sitting on my garage floor waiting to go on my 15 rubicon. I've been doing tons of research on what wheels and tires to get to completely avoid any death wobble in my future. I will definitely cross the goodyears off my list!!!

Wardell

Crap, I just ordered a set of Goodyear duratracs 315/70/17. Are those ok??

Those are probably Goodyear's best off road tire. The only real complaints anyone seems to have about them is that they have weaker sidewalls and a little less tread life than average, but probably because they use a winter rated rubber compound that is softer and wears a bit more easily. I know plenty of people who run them year round and swear by them, so I'm sure you'll like them.

mpc355

Keeping my fingers crossed

I got a set of 315/75r16 Goodyear MTR's from discount tire back in February. When I got them I was aware that people had issues balancing them and spoke with the guys at discount tire. They mounted them up and stated they only had an issue with one of them but said they thought it would be fine.

Since February, I've put approximately 5k miles on them and have rotated the "off tire" into service. I've only put a couple hundred miles on since the rotation and haven noticed anything questionable. I will say this thought, when I am done with this set I will be changing brands just for peace of mind. I'll keep everyone posted.

GR8WHITE

My mtr/k's have been fine but i know that it's only a matter of time until I slice a sidewall or two...

USMC Wrangler

Their Duratracs and KM2s have great reviews. It is their MTRs with Kevlar that suck.

Goodyear makes the BFG KM2's? I thought Michelin bought the BFG name/business? Or maybe I am reading into this more than needed and you're saying "KM2's get great reviews"??? Not trying to be a smart ass, just a confused Newb...

Thanks

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Goodyear makes the BFG KM2's? I thought Michelin bought the BFG name/business? Or maybe I am reading into this more than needed and you're saying "KM2's get great reviews"??? Not trying to be a smart ass, just a confused Newb...

Thanks

You are correct. BFG makes the KM2s, not Goodyear. I apologize for the brain fart.

Top Bottom