passenger side front axle U joint failure?

desertrunner

So I pulled off my brakes and rotors to change my brakes and I noticed on my passenger side when I grab the wheel lugs and rotate that when they are pointing straight they rotate really easy but when the wheel is turned it rotates easy for like the first 3/4 turn then gets really hard to turn. Once past that spot it rotates easy again. The drivers side rotates no problem straight and turned. Could that U joint be bad?

Here is a pic of something that looks like it might be coming apart

ForumRunner_20150502_121646.png

StrizzyChris

Ujoints, due to their intersecting t design, inherently have some degree of bind. This is more true when the wheel is turned. Based on the picture alone I can't, i doubt others can either, see anything wrong. You didn't notice any binding or clicking prior to taking the tire off?

CJW

I can't tell by the pic if something is wrong. Check the c-clips and make sure they're all still seated properly and that there is no play in the caps. There shouldn't be any play for that matter when rotating or turning the axel and/or joint.
These joints do create bind though when turned which will translate to "sticking points" when rotating.
If it bothers you or you see other stamp tons like slop or clicking noise then it may be worth taking apart for inspection or replacement.

Top Bottom