do i need them!?!?!?

GusGus23

Hi Yall,

im new to owning a jeep. 07 4dr. 95k. It was givien to my gf from her parents. So im doing all the fluids and what not. it doesn't seem like any of them have ever been changed let alone the bolts removed. also is was a Michigan jeep its whole life :/ So its been a rough morning. When trying to remove the transfer case shield the bolt seized up and i spun the head off the bolt. So the rest of the bolt is left in the in the hole.... WHOOOPS!. she will never drive off road.. sad i know... and being "her car" ill prolly never be able to as well. So with all that being said do i really need the shields for the transmission and transfer-case?

If you mean the skid plates then no. Especially if it never goes offroad. I would keep them around just in case she changes her mind.

jeeeep

Hooked
I'd go ahead and PB Blast it let it soak and then try an Ez out later on.

But as mentioned, if it's not going to be used off road, not needed.

Welcome to the WAYALIFE Gus.

I would still recommend having the transfer skid plate installed. What I would do to get the stuck bolt out is quite simple. Soak the bolt in some penetrating or wintergreen out from the top. While it is soaking there are a couple options to getting bolt out. First if there is any bolt sticking out of the threaded portion try gripping it with vice grips. The tighter the fit the better. With a hammer gently and I do mean gently tap the bolt tighten and then loosen. It will take some time but the corrosion will break free and then you can remove the bolt. Now if there is there is not any bolt sticking out you will have to use an easy out, screw extractor. Find the easy out that best fits the inside diameter of the bolt but still gives enough area to grip. Use the drill pit that corresponds to the easy out. Use a center punch to set your starting position. With your drill on the slowest speed and light pressure drill into the bolt until you are about 3/8 to 1/2 inch in. Put the easy out in a pair vice grips and tap into the bolt shank. Repeat the same process of gently tapping the tap in the loosening direction. If all works out the penetrating oil or wintergreen will have broken the corrosion and the broken bolt will come out.

Also a picture will also help.

R/
Will

Top Bottom