Warn Zeon 10 vs Powerplant

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
I have a friend of mine who wants to swap his power plant for my Zeon 10-s so I could ditch my power tank and have on-board air built into the compressor. I called Warn today to inquire about the compatibility in power cables (his cables have some wear on the shielding so he wanted me to keep the cables on my Zeon). When I told them about the swap, they told me "why would you do that swap? Your Zeon is a better winch". I figured that the feedback about as honest feedback as any. Can any corroborate why the zeon is a better winch? Design? Performance? If I were to keep the Zeon, i could either replace my ARB single compressor under the hood or add an ARB dual compressor under the seat.....

I have no experience with either - so take that for whats it worth. However.com if I was faced with the same situation I would take Warn's advice and keep your current winch and maybe buy a ARB twin and put it under the passenger seat for airing up and maybe adding a tank later for tools. Plus I know you are considering a possible motor swap and I would preserve as much grill space as possible for cooling. It might seem like over kill with 2 air systems but you would be doing the same with the power-plant.

I will be doing a axle swap soon and am torn between the small High Output compressor you already have for my new lockers or doing the Twin as I am impatient when airing up. However I don't want the twin under the hood and that is why I mentioned it under the seat as I have seen others do.

Once again Just white boarding here as I have no experience with the 2 winches.

Rancho

Caught the Bug
So we have the Power Plant on our JK-8, and I have the Zeon 10 on my JKU.
Both do their job, and that is pull you out, but MAN my Zeon is MUCH faster and compact than the Power Plant. Also the rope vs cable thing too.
The Power Plant is nice for airing up though....

20140416_112415_zpsdbe74267.jpg

I have a friend of mine who wants to swap his power plant for my Zeon 10-s so I could ditch my power tank and have on-board air built into the compressor. I called Warn today to inquire about the compatibility in power cables (his cables have some wear on the shielding so he wanted me to keep the cables on my Zeon). When I told them about the swap, they told me "why would you do that swap? Your Zeon is a better winch". I figured that the feedback about as honest feedback as any. Can any corroborate why the zeon is a better winch? Design? Performance? If I were to keep the Zeon, i could either replace my ARB single compressor under the hood or add an ARB dual compressor under the seat.....

jeff_in_rc

One thing to consider is the air tank on the Power plant is only 2 gallons and if you want to use a larger tank you will have to be creative in the plumbing. Once the pressure switch shuts off the compressor it also shuts off the winch! It can be done you just have to be able to do 2 things: 1) keep the air in the aux tank, 2) release the pressure from the winches tank and leave it open so it can't build presser so the winch will work. Just throwing it out there for you to think about.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Just stick with your zeon. Since you're already have yours set up for a centered winch.

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
Thanks for the replies. I didn't have any personal experience winches other than an older shittybilt and my current Zeon. I've seen others but it's one thing to watch and it's another thing to use. The specific feedback on the PowerPlant is helpful. I'll keep my current Zeon and the ARB compressor under the hood. I'll add a second dual ARB under the seat for tires. I hate my CO2 system for a variety of reasons so that's going to a friend.

Wardell

Yup, both will pull you out no problem, but if you compare the stats side by side (they have them on Warn's website) the newer Zeon is a bit better. I think the biggest real difference is that the Zeon has a faster line speed. Since the PowerPlant is an older design (even thought they updated it once I think), it doesn't benefit from some of the advancements they made since then.

Last edited:
Top Bottom