Lift or mod my dana 30 first

bigtrucker52

Hey everybody! I'm officially starting my build this summer! I post a thread on it earlier and it's called Freedom build. My jeep is a stock jk x. I have heard that i can fit 33s stock and potentially even 35s with slight modifications but my question is should i go ahead and put a 3-4" lift on 35s first and then start modding my front dana 30 to get it stronger to handle the 37s i'm going to put on it eventually or should i put off the lift for now and just focus on strengthening my dana 30 and dana 44 for the 37s? I plan on getting dana 60s front and rear and then possibly putting 38s to 40s on it so this is just to get me to the point where i have enough money to get my new axles and swap them out. I plan to start going trail riding this summer as well. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. I'm leaning on lifting it first and then just running 35s to at least get me a little more trail ready over stock and just taking it easy on the front axle. Thanks

Hey everybody! I'm officially starting my build this summer! I post a thread on it earlier and it's called Freedom build. My jeep is a stock jk x. I have heard that i can fit 33s stock and potentially even 35s with slight modifications but my question is should i go ahead and put a 3-4" lift on 35s first and then start modding my front dana 30 to get it stronger to handle the 37s i'm going to put on it eventually or should i put off the lift for now and just focus on strengthening my dana 30 and dana 44 for the 37s? I plan on getting dana 60s front and rear and then possibly putting 38s to 40s on it so this is just to get me to the point where i have enough money to get my new axles and swap them out. I plan to start going trail riding this summer as well. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. I'm leaning on lifting it first and then just running 35s to at least get me a little more trail ready over stock and just taking it easy on the front axle. Thanks

You can easily fit 33's with no lift just cut the pinch seam. 35's can be done with chopping the fenders as well. If you are going with 35's stay at 3 inches or below of lift. Don't waste money upgrading your 30 beyond C Gussets if you plan to go to 37's. If you wheel hard it won't hold up. I have broken a ujoint and axle shaft on 35's. Just save your money for a 60 and enjoy the 30 for as long as it lasts. Good luck with your build!

10frank9

Web Wheeler
C Gussets, 35's and a lift. Don't throw any more money at your stock axle. You'll eventually break something if you wheel it. That's assuming your axle isn't already toast. What year?

MarkW13

If you want to hit the trails early a 2" spacer lift with cut fenders and 35's will get the job done. I got some rubbing on the factory flares with that setup on the rear. You'll have to add wheel spacers to factory wheels and cut the air dam in the front. You can do all of that for around $2,000 (including tires). Not a terrible price to pay for alot of extra clearance.

Edit: dont spend any money on the d30.

C Gussets, 35's and a lift. Don't throw any more money at your stock axle. You'll eventually break something if you wheel it. That's assuming your axle isn't already toast. What year?

^^^x2. Wheel the 30 while you save feverishly for a new front axle. Id hold off on 37s till you get a 44 or 60.

bigtrucker52

It's a 2008. Had 44-45k on it when i bought it used two years ago and everyone of those miles were on pavement more than likely. I didn't know the previous owner so idk if they took it Offroad but it didn't look like it. Since i've owned it i've put about 15-20k on it and i've been mudding in it like 15 times but i don't go through hard stuff and deep shit with it yet

Spudcannons

I have a 4" lift with 35" tires and stock fenders and my fenders are getting very close to being ripped off and are limiting flex. This pic of the flex shows the fender being pushed up by the tire. http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?...-with-EVO-long-arm-lift-and-35-quot-beadlocks Here is a link with some pics of chopped fenders with 35" tires and they still rub slightly. As for the axle I am currently in the same possition, I want to lock up my axles and regear but dont want to put any money into my D30... :idontknow:

1430013916581.jpg

bigtrucker52

I have a 4" lift with 35" tires and stock fenders and my fenders are getting very close to being ripped off and are limiting flex. This pic of the flex shows the fender being pushed up by the tire. http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?...-with-EVO-long-arm-lift-and-35-quot-beadlocks Here is a link with some pics of chopped fenders with 35" tires and they still rub slightly. As for the axle I am currently in the same possition, I want to lock up my axles and regear but dont want to put any money into my D30... :idontknow:

View attachment 141342

I'd get bushwacker flat fenders. That's what i'm about to get

bigtrucker52

Hate to sound like a broken record but trim your stock flares. It's free and if you hit something and they get ripped off you just get new clips and reinstall.
I don't really like how the stock fenders fade and they don't really fit the look i'm going for in my jeep

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I don't really like how the stock fenders fade and they don't really fit the look i'm going for in my jeep

I get that a lot of people don't like trimmed factory fenders, even though it's free. But bushwhackers suck, they'll still dent your sheet metal and they'll hold a dent in the plastic if you hit something. Besides trimmed factory, my next suggestion would be MCE fenders. They'll be easier to install, made in America and lifetime warranty if they rip or break. But I would still do factory first.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I get that a lot of people don't like trimmed factory fenders, even though it's free. But bushwhackers suck, they'll still dent your sheet metal and they'll hold a dent in the plastic if you hit something. Besides trimmed factory, my next suggestion would be MCE fenders. They'll be easier to install, made in America and lifetime warranty if they rip or break. But I would still do factory first.

I agree. I would do the factory trim first then do the mce fenders after. If I ever change my trimmed fenders I am doing the mce fenders cause there quality is awesome! I wanted a set after I saw them on jnabirds 2 door lil punkin.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I agree. I would do the factory trim first then do the mce fenders after. If I ever change my trimmed fenders I am doing the mce fenders cause there quality is awesome! I wanted a set after I saw them on jnabirds 2 door lil punkin.

I'm actually starting to like these fenders, little pricey but they sure are nice.

K.D.C.H

If your trying to save money then why not just cut the fenders for now. Start cutting and see if you can get the look you're going for, if you can't then toss em, you were going to do it anyway. Cutting the fenders seems like a better fit over spending $500-$800 on something else. The way I see it, that money could go towards a better life, wheels or tires. Just sayin, spend your money wisely

Spudcannons

If your trying to save money then why not just cut the fenders for now. Start cutting and see if you can get the look you're going for, if you can't then toss em, you were going to do it anyway. Cutting the fenders seems like a better fit over spending $500-$800 on something else. The way I see it, that money could go towards a better life, wheels or tires. Just sayin, spend your money wisely

+1

Metal Cloak fenders?

mds22

Hate to sound like a broken record but trim your stock flares. It's free and if you hit something and they get ripped off you just get new clips and reinstall.
I'll repeat what he said to drive home the point, "it's free" why not save the 800 and apply it to your axle when the d30 brakes. That's my plan for mine.

Top Bottom