Engine Overheating what's

Dune Crawler

2008 jk
69k miles
Oil change 2months ago

Last week the the jeep started overheating frequently. I thought it was because of the heat/wind conditions that week , but when I opened up the hood the coolant was pretty much empty. I filled it up Friday(may1st) and now Thursday(may7th) it's empty again.

I noticed that when it overheats and I turnoff the jeep the coolant starts boiling/blown out. Is this a water pump issue? I haven't touched anything since doing the oil change.

jeeeep

Hooked
is the coolant flowing through the overflow bottle or does it appear to just boil out?

sounds like you have either a faulty thermostat or pump

both are easy to fix - you can check the pump by removing the belt and seeing if the pump turns or if there is substantial play in it.

If it's ok, chances are it's the thermostat - just be sure to replace it with the same temperature replacement

Last edited:

Rebel JK

A bad head gasket can and will contribute to overheating as well. Hope its not the issue for ya. Others may have a better way to check but after youve tried all the easy stuff, a compression check may be in order

Rebel JK

Coolant system leak down/ pressure test would be good start actually after checking the easy stuff and before compression test.

Dune Crawler

Thank you for the all the replies! I was thinking it was the pump or therm and praying it's not a gasket.

I drove today and turned the heater on full blast and it seem to help keep the engine mid-lined. Leaning towards thermo being bad

seanb123

Not sure if you play in mud but make sure you radiator is all free that could block flow. I had this happen to me

jknikos

Not sure if you play in mud but make sure you radiator is all free that could block flow. I had this happen to me
:thumb::thumb::thumb:

I was my radiator with a hose (no preassure) and i see the whole mountain coming out of my radiator. That solved my overheating issues.

Top Bottom