3.8L ticking?

JakeJK

My 2010 jk ticks when cold and even a little bit when hot, it only has 52k miles is it anything to worry about other than the fact that it's annoying?
It isn't super loud but you can hear it pretty well with the hood popped.
Thanks!

mendigo

I had a jku 07. It started to ticking and it got louder. Some said that by changing oil brands and going to synthetic fix theirs. I tried it. But it didn't help on mine. In the end the 3.8 engine left me on the road. I had to replace the engine. Have a trusted mechanic check it.

JakeJK

I had a jku 07. It started to ticking and it got louder. Some said that by changing oil brands and going to synthetic fix theirs. I tried it. But it didn't help on mine. In the end the 3.8 engine left me on the road. I had to replace the engine. Have a trusted mechanic check it.

How many miles were on your jeep I'd be really pissed if I had to replace mine as I'm a college student and this is the first car I've bought.

USMCvet

Banned

This is probably stating the obvious but here goes, sometimes when we wheel our rigs we smack our exhaust systems. In turn, where the exhaust system connects to the factory exhaust manifolds sometimes loosen. It maybe worth a try tightening the two bolts/nuts that connect the down pipes. Do both sides. My non expert theory is that when cold, the slight exhaust leak "ticks" a bit louder and slowly quiets down, "ticking" less as the exhaust heats up and expands. A friend and I just went through this, sort of, with his '07 JK.

SierraSilver

Switching to a slightly heavier synthetic oil made a huge difference in mine. I couldn't stand the ticking and overall general clacking of that motor, especially when cold!!!!

dwmgcs

My '07 started the ticking at about 42k miles and at 74k its still going and hasn't gotten worse, I tried different weights of oils but nothing changed it and it still runs the same as always so I will just drive it until it dies.

JakeJK

This is probably stating the obvious but here goes, sometimes when we wheel our rigs we smack our exhaust systems. In turn, where the exhaust system connects to the factory exhaust manifolds sometimes loosen. It maybe worth a try tightening the two bolts/nuts that connect the down pipes. Do both sides. My non expert theory is that when cold, the slight exhaust leak "ticks" a bit louder and slowly quiets down, "ticking" less as the exhaust heats up and expands. A friend and I just went through this, sort of, with his '07 JK.

That could be plausible but I don't know if mine has been wheeled very much it sure doesn't look like it under the hood or up under the body

TwistedJK

I've noticed this on our jeep. A little ticking when it first starts up but stops after it warms up. I'm going to check and retighten those bolts this weekend. Thanks for the tip

USMCvet

Banned
I've noticed this on our jeep. A little ticking when it first starts up but stops after it warms up. I'm going to check and retighten those bolts this weekend. Thanks for the tip

Use some liquid wrench and let that penetrate for about 15 minutes then tighten those up. Careful not to gorilla tighten them, but they should be 3/8" drive ratchet tight.

Utah_Jay

My 2010 jk ticks when cold and even a little bit when hot, it only has 52k miles is it anything to worry about other than the fact that it's annoying?
It isn't super loud but you can hear it pretty well with the hood popped.
Thanks!

First, have you checked the oil level to make sure it is full? Low oil will cause ticking. Another possibility could be an exhaust manifold leak, these are prone to cracking. I run 10w30 in the 3.8 engine. I believe the 5w20 is too thin for this application.

JakeJK

First, have you checked the oil level to make sure it is full? Low oil will cause ticking. Another possibility could be an exhaust manifold leak, these are prone to cracking. I run 10w30 in the 3.8 engine. I believe the 5w20 is too thin for this application.

No I haven't I will check on that when I get back, any chance that would be under power train warranty if it did crack? It's under 60k and hasn't been 5 years

Utah_Jay

No I haven't I will check on that when I get back, any chance that would be under power train warranty if it did crack? It's under 60k and hasn't been 5 years

Not sure on your warranty, but an exhaust manifold on these engines isn't real expensive. Usually under $150 for the part, labor shouldn't be too bad if you don't do it yourself.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Hmmmm, I wonder if that is my issue. Mine has been ticking for a long time. I have 74,000 miles on mine. My oil is fine.

Utah_Jay

Hmmmm, I wonder if that is my issue. Mine has been ticking for a long time. I have 74,000 miles on mine. My oil is fine.

Something to check on for sure. For the record my 07 has 72,000 miles and also ticks, has for as long as I can remember. I have suspected and exhaust manifold leak for sometime, I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

mendigo

Start looking into purchasing extended warranty. If the vehicle is under 80k (I belive it's around there ) u can purchase it, they will send you special liquid that goes into your cooler and other stuff. After you have to follow the maintenance like normal but has to be done by certified mechanic like the dealer or jiffy lube etc. so. Keep paperwork so if it breaks you are cover. Mine gave out around 92k.

Last edited:

Utah_Jay

Start looking into purchasing extended warranty. If the vehicle is under 80k (I belive it's around there ) u can purchase it, they will send you special liquid that goes into your cooler and other stuff. After you have to follow the maintenance like normal but has to be done by certified mechanic like the dealer or jiffy lube etc. so. Keep paperwork so if it breaks you are cover. Mine gave out around 92k.

The only problem with an extended warranty is most deny you or try to if you have any mods done, lift, bigger tires, etc? Usually these 3rd party warranty companies will blame that on the engine failing even though it has nothing to do with it.

USMCvet

Banned
The only problem with an extended warranty is most deny you or try to if you have any mods done, lift, bigger tires, etc? Usually these 3rd party warranty companies will blame that on the engine failing even though it has nothing to do with it.

I had an extended warranty back in the day on a new 1986 Toyota 4x4. The trans went out so I filed a claim. They denied it so I filed in small claims and won. The company a month later went bankrupt and I never got my $800 out of them. A few months after they were discharged from bankruptcy, they reopened under a new name.

ScoobyCarolanNC

So I'm ticking now. Bumping this thread to see if anyone can confirm the exhaust mani fixed theirs or maybe I'm headed towards a spun bearing?

Top Bottom