New 9" Alpine Head Unit for the JK Wrangler

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
Just saw this unit which Alpine released in March of this year specifically for the JK Wrangler. It's a little out of my price range, but thought it was cool enough to point it out to others who are interested in replacing their in dash unit with arguably the best package out there.

Alpine X009-WRA

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
I keep hoping someone will come out with one of these that will have a obd2 dongle, be able to flash for tires/gears/shift points/trail maps, etc, all from one dash unit... I can dream can't i?

Unit looks awesome but for $3500, it better do something... lol

Wardell

It could be an interesting upgrade for someone if their Jeep came with just the basic radio, but for that much it really isn't worth it. I don't think you're really gaining much other than a flashier looking interface compared to the 430n or 730n, and I'm pretty sure those head units are much cheaper than $3500.

Insane Audio also has their android based JK1001 that costs about $1200 if I remember right. The cool thing about that is you can install any android app you want for nav, music, etc. I think it comes with a bluetooth OBDII reader that works with Torque Pro, but you can buy the same dongle and run that app off any cell for way less (IIRC $30 for the bluetooth dongle and $5-10 for the app if you don't get the free version), so if that's all you want it for it's not worth it either.

If you're looking for something that lets you display OBDII data and works as a programmer for tires, gears, tuning, etc, the best thing out there is a Trail Dash. Of course that doesn't have the radio or nav functions, but you can hook up a back up camera and use it as a switch pod for accessories with the optional wiring kits.

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
My friend just got this. It does have an odbii port and you can see many of the parameters on the screen, battery voltage, tpms, engine load, temps, etc You cannot program things though.

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
I don't understand the benefit unless you're going to start adding amplifiers and new speakers. It looks fantastic and appears to have a better than uConnect UI but that's a whole lotta coin for something that isn't ground breaking. Wonder if it has an internal amp that's better than factory

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
He replaced everything in his. He wanted better audio so replaced speakers, amp, sub etc. That and he just flat out has too much $ lol. It looks great but not 3k great.

dillard09

I just need a double din headunit with dvd, nav, and xm. I know there are the big three alpine, kenwood, pioneer but don't wanna drop a whole lot of coin. Maybe 700 max. Any suggestions?

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
I stand corrected they've come down quite a bit. Look at crutchfield, several below 700. Alpine, clarion, etc in that range

MarkW13

I keep hoping someone will come out with one of these that will have a obd2 dongle, be able to flash for tires/gears/shift points/trail maps, etc, all from one dash unit... I can dream can't i?

Unit looks awesome but for $3500, it better do something... lol

Yeah, for that price I believe it falls short of required capabilities. I can spend a lot on suspension for that kind of coin.

dillard09

I stand corrected they've come down quite a bit. Look at crutchfield, several below 700. Alpine, clarion, etc in that range

I have looked on Crutchfield but I was hoping to get some first hand knowledge of someone. I was leaning towards an alpine, but I have no clue.

I just got the Trail Dash and for $430 shipped you get way more. Add a nice double din nav until for $900 and spend the rest on other upgrades. Not sure $3500 for this is a good deal.

I was at CES and asked them way too many questions about that unit.
It's a great unit but I don't think it was made for someone who uses their jeep.... Like a jeep.

It uses the maestro idata link to interface with the stock evic. You can just get the cheaper alpine units that do the same thing.

The advantage is the hard buttons on the sides of the unit for an OEM type of appearance.

The software in the unit is not designed for FCA diagnostics anyways. It was designed for GM, specifically the last gen Tahoe/Yukon and Sierra/Silverado.

If you have one of those vehicles then the unit is definitely worth the money for what you get out of it. But for us a normal double din is better for now.

Yeep

Supposedly there will also be an update to the unit in the next couple months to add more features/options...

Top Bottom