Ram assist kit- what do I need?

Trail JK

I'm in the market for a ram assist kit but I'm not 100% sure what kit I should be getting.

I'm looking at the PSC Motorsports JK 2012-2015 (4 door), Extreme Duty Cylinder Assist Kit - PSC-SK271 on the Northridge 4x4 site but they have other kits also like the PSC Motorsports Jeep JK Double Ended Full Hydraulic Kit PSCFHK100JK.

I'm clueless on this mod other than knowing that I need to make sure it's the firm kit I order based on what I've read.

I didn't have a chance to call Northridge 4x4 today so I thought I could find some help here.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

ttfhell

I would call PSC they can go over what type of feel you want etc. Pretty sure full hydro isn't street legal as well.

CJW

Assuming you drive this jeep on the street and it's not a dedicated rock crawler, you want the hydraulic assist, not the full double ended hydraulic set up. The double ended set up gets rid of your drag link and tie rod all together and makes it hydraulic steering only. The ram assist works with your current steering components to assist in steering, taking load off the steering box.
Also, I can't speak for all states but most states require you to have a completely "linked" steering set up for safety reasons (drag link, tie rid, steering gear). That way, should you loose power, you can still steer.

Trail JK

Assuming you drive this jeep on the street and it's not a dedicated rock crawler, you want the hydraulic assist, not the full double ended hydraulic set up. The double ended set up gets rid of your drag link and tie rod all together and makes it hydraulic steering only. The ram assist works with your current steering components to assist in steering, taking load off the steering box.
Also, I can't speak for all states but most states require you to have a completely "linked" steering set up for safety reasons (drag link, tie rid, steering gear). That way, should you loose power, you can still steer.

Yes, thanks. Ray and I were talking about this earlier and have ruled out the double ended system so I shouldn't have included it in the topic.

I'm wondering if the first kit is the right kit for me or if there is another one I should be considering.

This is my daily driver also.

jeeeep

Hooked
I'm in the market for a ram assist kit but I'm not 100% sure what kit I should be getting.

I'm looking at the PSC Motorsports JK 2012-2015 (4 door), Extreme Duty Cylinder Assist Kit - PSC-SK271 on the Northridge 4x4 site but they have other kits also like the PSC Motorsports Jeep JK Double Ended Full Hydraulic Kit PSCFHK100JK.

I'm clueless on this mod other than knowing that I need to make sure it's the firm kit I order based on what I've read.

I didn't have a chance to call Northridge 4x4 today so I thought I could find some help here.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

what size tire are you planning to run and what type of terrain?

are you changing the axle?

Trail JK

what size tire are you planning to run and what type of terrain?

are you changing the axle?

I run 37's, it's my d&d, trails mostly so cal/ other trails moab/rubicon, I will keep the stock d44 axles for as long as I can.

Because she's my daily I won't go bigger than 37's. If or when I upgrade the axles and if or when she is no longer my daily then I could be easily swayed to move to 40's but that's not in the near future.

jeeeep

Hooked
I run 37's, it's my d&d, trails mostly so cal/ other trails moab/rubicon, I will keep the stock d44 axles for as long as I can.

Because she's my daily I won't go bigger than 37's. If or when I upgrade the axles and if or when she is no longer my daily then I could be easily swayed to move to 40's but that's not in the near future.

The PSC-SK271 is what you want, you can go the "send in your box route" but if you have the budget for it, stick with the PSC-SK271, it'll make everything much easier in the long run. Keep your stock steering unit as a backup.

you may also want to order a power steering cooler and Swepco 715 Power Steering Fluid.

You can use standard power steering fluid but I recently flushed my system and am now using the Swepco and it steers so much smoother. But it could also be I had a bunch of little issues from the beginning due the installer taking shortcuts that once I fixed them all it just made the system work the way it's supposed to.

Trail JK

The PSC-SK271 is what you want, you can go the "send in your box route" but if you have the budget for it, stick with the PSC-SK271, it'll make everything much easier in the long run. Keep your stock steering unit as a backup.

you may also want to order a power steering cooler and Swepco 715 Power Steering Fluid.

You can use standard power steering fluid but I recently flushed my system and am now using the Swepco and it steers so much smoother. But it could also be I had a bunch of little issues from the beginning due the installer taking shortcuts that once I fixed them all it just made the system work the way it's supposed to.

Good to know. Thanks!

You don't need a cooler but they do recommend them. Personally I would just buy a small trans cooler from napa and not pay for the cooler PSC sells. Make sure your ram has 6.25" if stroke and select "firm feel" for your steering box. That will give you the most stock feeling steering. You will also want to get tie rod collars so you don't have a bunch of play in your tie rod.

I also use royal purple in my PSC set up and it works great.

Trail JK

I use royal purple in mine and it's works great turning my 40's.

You don't need a cooler but they do recommend them. Personally I would just buy a small trans cooler from napa and not pay for the cooler PSC sells. Make sure your ram has 6.25" if stroke and select "firm feel" for your steering box. That will give you the most stock feeling steering. You will also want to get tie rod collars so you don't have a bunch of play in your tie rod.

I also use royal purple in my PSC set up and it works great.

Awesome thanks! I'm glad I posted this, the extra info is really helpful!

Trail JK

Okay so, what are the advantages & disadvantages between the PSC-SK271 kit and the PSCSK-260 kit? They both appear to be on road & off-road kits and both are pretty similar in price.

Thanks for the help!

Okay so, what are the advantages & disadvantages between the PSC-SK271 kit and the PSCSK-260 kit? They both appear to be on road & off-road kits and both are pretty similar in price.

Thanks for the help!

Sk271 is for 2012-2015 and sk260 is for 2007-2011. My guess is different power steering pump and bracket. On my phone or I'd look more.

Trail JK

One last question (I think) 😁 what about the intake system? Any recommendations to go with the kit there or will the stock intake work fine?

One last question (I think) 😁 what about the intake system? Any recommendations to go with the kit there or will the stock intake work fine?

I've heard, I have not looked, that there is a new mount that allows for the stock air box to work. I will do some looking but you may want to call PSC on that one. I am running the RIPP mods CAI. I can tell you it works but I'm not sure it's the best option. If you can get the stock air box to work I highly recommend that.

07JKSahara

I've heard, I have not looked, that there is a new mount that allows for the stock air box to work. I will do some looking but you may want to call PSC on that one. I am running the RIPP mods CAI. I can tell you it works but I'm not sure it's the best option. If you can get the stock air box to work I highly recommend that.

This, I think Kyleolsen has the newest bracket, but said it still required a little bit of trimming. If I recall he said it was marketed as not needing to cut the box. He might chime in.

Trail JK

Thanks Jason! I really appreciate the advice, you rock!

This, I think Kyleolsen has the newest bracket, but said it still required a little bit of trimming. If I recall he said it was marketed as not needing to cut the box. He might chime in.

Cool, thank you! I hope he does that would be great.

Top Bottom