Upgrades to steering

REKLESS-RED

So I have a 2012 JKU with stock steering and I'm running a 4.5 inch lift with 35s, hoping to go to 37s when these tires are dead. Right now I have quite a bit of slop in the steering and I'm looking to get rid of the slop. I am looking at upgrading the drag link to the EVO flip drag link kit, and I also need a new tie rod, steering stabilizer, and a few other small parts. Any one have any suggestions on what I should run or what are you running that works? Other than PSC since I simply can't afford it.

jeeeep

Hooked
So I have a 2012 JKU with stock steering and I'm running a 4.5 inch lift with 35s, hoping to go to 37s when these tires are dead. Right now I have quite a bit of slop in the steering and I'm looking to get rid of the slop. I am looking at upgrading the drag link to the EVO flip drag link kit, and I also need a new tie rod, steering stabilizer, and a few other small parts. Any one have any suggestions on what I should run or what are you running that works? Other than PSC since I simply can't afford it.

what's your caster angle set at? it should be at or close to stock as possible.

Are you running a dropped pitman arm?

the EVO flip will help.

is your current tie rod and steering stabilizer damaged? if not, no need to change them.

REKLESS-RED

what's your caster angle set at? it should be at or close to stock as possible.

Are you running a dropped pitman arm?

the EVO flip will help.

is your current tie rod and steering stabilizer damaged? if not, no need to change them.

I believe my caster angle is pretty close to stock. And I do have a dropped pitman arm. And I have no known damage to my tie rod and steering stabilizer.

When driving straight down the highway at 55 my steering wheel has free play from the 11 to 1 positions. I'm looking to get rid of that and tighten up the steering. I'm wondering if I need to tighten up the stock stuff, is the stock stuff sucks, what to replace it with.

jeeeep

Hooked
I believe my caster angle is pretty close to stock. And I do have a dropped pitman arm. And I have no known damage to my tie rod and steering stabilizer.

When driving straight down the highway at 55 my steering wheel has free play from the 11 to 1 positions. I'm looking to get rid of that and tighten up the steering. I'm wondering if I need to tighten up the stock stuff, is the stock stuff sucks, what to replace it with.

I'd start with the EVO flip and put the stock pitman back on, every dropped pitman I've seen (including 3 I went through on my GC) never fit tight and always seem to have slop in them.

no need to replace the tie rod or stock SS.

I'd say 90% is the dropped pitman. you could probably correct it with an adjustable track bar (been running one for last 4 yrs no issues) but for the same price I'd run the flip kit and use the stock components.

Last edited:

REKLESS-RED

I'd start with the EVO flip and put the stock pitman back on, every dropped pitman I've seen (including 3 I went through on my GC) never fit tight and always seem to have slop in them.

no need to replace the tie rod or stock SS.

I'd say 90% is the dropped pitman. you could probably correct it with an adjustable track bar (been running one for last 4 yrs no issues) but for the same price I'd run the flip kit and use the stock components.

Thanks for the input. I'll order up the EVO flip kit this weekend!

jedg

If you have free play in your steering, that could be an issue of the ball-joints in your drag link being bad. I recently had this issue and a trip to the Jeep parts counter (and $120 later) I had a new OEM drag link installed with about 30 minutes of work. Steering is tight again.

Unless your caster is out or your drag link and track bar are not parallel, I'm betting that your drag link is bad.

Edit - you can drop one end of the drag link and see how much play you have in each end of the drag link. The ball joints should feel pretty stiff when trying to move them. If they are easy to move (or sloppy), then I'd look at this as the culprit

Last edited:

gradymeister

On my 2012, I had a cracked track bar bracket at the axle. It had a cheesy relocation bracket that covered the crack, I finally got someone to turn the wheel while I was under there watching and found it. Just something to check and cross off your list. I ended up putting a huge synergy bracket on there as a temporary bandaid until I could get it welded up and it tightened the steering right up. Your drag link flip comes with the same type of bracket, beef!
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1431197582.093794.jpg

Top Bottom