Winch wiring harness routing pictures and tech data

Guascone

Does anyone have some pictures to show me about their winch wiring harness routing?
Could you tell me please also the cable dimension/section?
My winch has cables 25 mmq...according to you are they thick enought ?

Thanks a lot!

dyn0mitemat

What winch do you have?
Did it have cables on it? (they're usually sufficient)
Your jeep a 3.8 or 3.6?

I assume by 25mmq you mean 25mm2 which is just a little bigger than 4 gauge here in the states (~3awg)
That should be fine for most winches that people use for jk's (8-12k).

If you get a little more info I could help you out some more.

Guascone

You arte right!
I have a JKU 2800 CRD, the winch is a Tmax 9500 lb(is the same as the smittybilt xrc) with 325a at the max load.
The cables That come with it are ISO standard 25 mm2.
3awg, is the USA standard units?

Does anyone have some pictures to show me about their winch wiring harness routing?
Could you tell me please also the cable dimension/section?
My winch has cables 25 mmq...according to you are they thick enought ?

Thanks a lot!

First thing I did was pull the grill to gain access to the fender side of the headlight. Then I routed the wires around the head light and around the air cleaning box to the battery. It was rather easy to do. I would get you a picture but there is some wicked weather going on. Also I would highly recommend getting some better terminals for your battery. I have these and love them.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/17004_9001.htm

R/
Will

Rccrwlr

Really the cables are only long enough to go one way. As said above, remove the grill and start routing them towards the battery. Avoid metal pinch points and if you can run them in split loom

Guascone

Thanks again!
If cables 3awg are thick enought , I have found a good routing.
If, in your opinion, it could be better to use thicker cables, I should review it...

I didn't understand very well what does it mean "Really the cables are only long enough to go one way"...

Rccrwlr

Thanks again!
If cables 3awg are thick enought , I have found a good routing.
If, in your opinion, it could be better to use thicker cables, I should review it...

I didn't understand very well what does it mean "Really the cables are only long enough to go one way"...

Guess I should clarify. My winch had pos and neg cables that run from the winch to the battery already installed.

LeighP

Pics won't help much with mine, as its right hand drive, so the battery is on the wrong side, lol.
I extended the battery cabling and used a HD solenoid under the hood thats switched from the driver's seat. This means theres no power at the winch outside the JK until I switch the solenoid on.
Years ago, there was a rash of people shorting out the winch control solenoid contacts on parked 4WD's after running the winch cable back over the roof to the tow bar....for entertainment, they'd stand around and watch how far the winch would crush the roof.
After that, I've never liked the idea of live power being on all the time at the winch. :)

Guascone

To avoid that risk it could be enought to use a switch on the power line...

It is also important to use the right cable section to avoid the overheating risk or wosrt to pick fire on engine...
This is the reason why I ask to confirm me if cables 3 awg are enought thick...

Wich is the cable size on warn winchies?

dyn0mitemat

3awg is an odd size, you'll end up paying a ton for it probably. More common ones to look at: 1, 2 or 4awg

Most of the smittybuilt ones I've seen are 4 gauge, but even that is cheap wire, the copper core is equivalent to a quality 6awg cable, but I've yet to see anyone burn the cables up (unlike the winches unfortunately)

My superwinch 9500 had 2awg leads. It had an integrated selonoid but I relocated it because I custom built my bumper and wanted the feet forward on the winch, which lead to interference problems with the selonoid and the sway bar disconnect motor when I had it rotated up. I put the solenoid next to the battery, and ran 2awg cables for everything down to the winch.

Guascone

Thanks for reply me with your experience!
The cable seams good as a quality and they are marked ISO standard...25mm2 is the cable dimension but I'm try to use and convert it in USA standard (~ 3 awg) 😀.
At home I have also cable 2/0 awg but they are too much thick and too much stiff...this is the reason I was asking to see some pictures of routing...

Top Bottom