Lift Kit Options

CBoston

Hey, Looking at buying my first lift. Really liking the Rancho 3.5 Progressive Sport with the RS9000XL shocks, and for the price looks like a good buy. Now I know a lot of people love the Krawler line, and for the price I can only guess why. So any pro's and con's for Rancho ? Please say not as bad as the Teraflex reviews.... Or should I save double and get the Krawler.

It should be noted I am not a serious rock crawler rig. Living in Northern Ontario Canada. More Trail and Mud.

May I suggest getting ahold of the local Jeep club and find Jeeps with different lifts and see if they will give you a ride. Soliciting lift advice is like asking which chair is most comfortable because it so subjective. For me I like a softer ride and one that is not at stiff. I have the EVO Plush Ride Coils, paired with the Rancho RS9000 XL shocks. Other friends have the Rock Krawler lifts with the new springs and they like them. It all comes down to what you like the most. You will have loyalist who will say one lift over another but just remember it is your money being spent and not theirs. If they are willing to buy it for you then go for it.

R/
Will

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hey, Looking at buying my first lift. Really liking the Rancho 3.5 Progressive Sport with the RS9000XL shocks, and for the price looks like a good buy. Now I know a lot of people love the Krawler line, and for the price I can only guess why. So any pro's and con's for Rancho ? Please say not as bad as the Teraflex reviews.... Or should I save double and get the Krawler.

It should be noted I am not a serious rock crawler rig. Living in Northern Ontario Canada. More Trail and Mud.

Rancho makes some great lifts and most of the people that I know really like their 9000 shocks. They really are priced right as well and I would give it a try. I have no experience with their "progressive" coils and I'm not typically a fan of them but, I have found their standard 3" and 4" kits to perform well.

CBoston

Alright thanks... Whats the major difference between the 3inch sport vs the trail lift kits from Rancho ?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Alright thanks... Whats the major difference between the 3inch sport vs the trail lift kits from Rancho ?

The Sport kits are basic and just come with what you need to get going. The Trail systems come more complete with adjustable control arms and other components.

CBoston

As long as I stick with 35's, 4.5-5 degrees of caster angle is fine from what I've read.I have no plans to go bigger than that... For now... Maybe save a few bucks for sliders and just get the sport...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As long as I stick with 35's, 4.5-5 degrees of caster angle is fine from what I've read.I have no plans to go bigger than that... For now... Maybe save a few bucks for sliders and just get the sport...

You do know that you will need at least adjustable front lower control arms to set your caster to 4°, right? Also, 4.5° or more is too high and will lead to driveline vibrations when running a higher gear ratio.

Rccrwlr

I (with the Panda)just put the 3" sport on our paired with the 9000xl's. Went with the sport as I knew I wanted to get adjustable front LCA and went the the EVO. Also did the EVO DLF to keep everything in line. Running at 4*

My reason was purely price knowing that I could change coils later if I wanted to and everything could stay.

I only have the stock to compare to and to tell you the truth it rides much better. More responsive on the street. Better bump feel as it it feels like it absorbs the bumps without a flighty steering wheel feel.

Have yet to have it off road (ask the NorCal guys). So We will see.

Like the 9000xls because if the coils were to soft with a load I could adjust the rates.

Running 35x12.5x17 nitto TG so there is a bit of input from them as well on how things ride.

I agree with everyone that this is really just my opinion and you should take a rig for a drive or go for a ride with someone that has some kind of a lift.

My opinion is I like the setup but I haven't run a ton of lifts

CBoston

No, I did not... New to all this, but great to know. Will definitely have my mechanically inclined jeep buddies at hand during installation. And will get the trail rated. Whole unit as a package seemed to be less of a headache. Thanks for all the info ! I am sure there will be many more questions.

CBoston

I (with the Panda)just put the 3" sport on our paired with the 9000xl's. Went with the sport as I knew I wanted to get adjustable front LCA and went the the EVO. Also did the EVO DLF to keep everything in line. Running at 4*

My reason was purely price knowing that I could change coils later if I wanted to and everything could stay.

I only have the stock to compare to and to tell you the truth it rides much better. More responsive on the street. Better bump feel as it it feels like it absorbs the bumps without a flighty steering wheel feel.

Have yet to have it off road (ask the NorCal guys). So We will see.

Like the 9000xls because if the coils were to soft with a load I could adjust the rates.

Running 35x12.5x17 nitto TG so there is a bit of input from them as well on how things ride.

I agree with everyone that this is really just my opinion and you should take a rig for a drive or go for a ride with someone that has some kind of a lift.

My opinion is I like the setup but I haven't run a ton of lifts

Oh wow... Well i will be talking to some local buddies who have installed lifts on their rigs, and see what is needed. Me I thought it was simply buy the kit, install and enjoy. Glad I asked and am finding out new information and things to get to make it all smooth. Rather do it all at once instead of breaking things and having to re-do.

Rccrwlr

Oh wow... Well i will be talking to some local buddies who have installed lifts on their rigs, and see what is needed. Me I thought it was simply buy the kit, install and enjoy. Glad I asked and am finding out new information and things to get to make it all smooth. Rather do it all at once instead of breaking things and having to re-do.

There is a ton of information on here that's you need to look up and take some notes on.

If you want a decent drive (like stock), everyone says you need front LCA (get them). To make the drag link and track bar parallel (like stock)to help with the steering control you need to flip your drag link. These 2 items will help make the daily driving like stock. My wife and son love how the steering still feels like after the lift. (All Notes taken from this forum)

The trail kit comes with UCA for front and rear. On a JKU (4dr)there doesn't seem to be a need for the upper arms on the rear. That is why I went with only a set of adjustable front LCA. Went with EVO to get the on rig adjustment and the Johnny Joint (same joints that Eddie beats the sheet out of so with my mall driving they will last a very long time). Again all information gleaned from this forum watching how others have done it and what works/doesn't.

Both the sport and the trail come with a rear track bar relocation bracket. The sport comes with an adjustable track bar but if you do the drag link flip you don't need it.

My thought on the EVO hardware is that seeing the abuse everyone puts it through and knowing what we will put it through it should be the last hardware we order. One and done!

These were just some of my thoughts.

CBoston

Alright, will be spending some time looking up information then before purchasing. And definitely will be asking more questions as I take notes haha. But only way to learn right... And good to know about the 4 door as thats my rig.

YJ_Tom

Just wanted to chime in. I installed the 3 inch sport lift with rs9000 shocks two weeks ago. So far I'm really happy with it. The rear track bar bracket was a pain and I ended up just ordering an adjustable track rear track bar. Also the sway bar links were a nightmare to get the bushings pressed in. Overall though for the price I couldn't be happier. I also added the geometry correction brackets and exhaust spacer.

Rccrwlr

Just wanted to chime in. I installed the 3 inch sport lift with rs9000 shocks two weeks ago. So far I'm really happy with it. The rear track bar bracket was a pain and I ended up just ordering an adjustable track rear track bar. Also the sway bar links were a nightmare to get the bushings pressed in. Overall though for the price I couldn't be happier. I also added the geometry correction brackets and exhaust spacer.

I will second both of these points. We had to take the caliper off the driver rear to drill the hole and had to use a vise to press the metal spacer into the bushing and sway bar links. Did you install the sway bar links on the back or install them on the back and move the factory back to the front?

Wardell

I just watched this before seeing the thread, and I think it might be of interest to you. Two Guys Garage just aired an episode where they installed a Rancho 4" Crawler lift and their new RS5000X shocks, a DynoMax exhaust and a bunch of other Rancho goodies (the full episode isn't online yet, but the part I saw is here). I know it's not the same kit you're thinking about, but it could be worth watching (if you can get past the moments they talk like obsessed children anyway, lol).

I've been planning on getting that 4" Crawler lift with RS9000XL shocks myself, and I'll probably order that by the end of this month. They seem like good quality and well put together kits at a reasonable price point, and I've seen and heard a lot of positive reviews but really haven't heard anything negative about their products. Their ride quality is also softer than stock - like someone said before that's subjective, but I think most people seem to prefer a softer ride. I haven't tried EVO's plush ride springs; from what I've heard Rancho's aren't quire as soft, but give you a comparable ride.

Also, Rancho has a really good rebate available until 30 June. Perfect time to buy if you do go with them. http://www.gorancho.com/promotions/

CBoston

Oh wow, alright will definitely check that out... And rebate eh... Maybe ill push the poison spyder bumper and winch back....

CBoston

I just watched this before seeing the thread, and I think it might be of interest to you. Two Guys Garage just aired an episode where they installed a Rancho 4" Crawler lift and their new RS5000X shocks, a DynoMax exhaust and a bunch of other Rancho goodies (the full episode isn't online yet, but the part I saw is here). I know it's not the same kit you're thinking about, but it could be worth watching (if you can get past the moments they talk like obsessed children anyway, lol).

I've been planning on getting that 4" Crawler lift with RS9000XL shocks myself, and I'll probably order that by the end of this month. They seem like good quality and well put together kits at a reasonable price point, and I've seen and heard a lot of positive reviews but really haven't heard anything negative about their products. Their ride quality is also softer than stock - like someone said before that's subjective, but I think most people seem to prefer a softer ride. I haven't tried EVO's plush ride springs; from what I've heard Rancho's aren't quire as soft, but give you a comparable ride.

Also, Rancho has a really good rebate available until 30 June. Perfect time to buy if you do go with them. http://www.gorancho.com/promotions/

Oh wow, alright will definitely check that out... And rebate eh... Maybe ill push the poison spyder bumper and winch back....

Top Bottom