Interior lights not going off

BigPrince

Hey guys, hoping one of yall may have run into this before -

Behavior:
- Interior overhead lights, domes on the b and C pillars, and map lights in the rear view mirror, will not go off while driving and will not turn off when Jeep is turned off(until the 10min timer hits).
- All doors do register as shut on the dash
- Switch on the stem off the steering wheel is turned to the off position.

Specs:
- 2014 JK Unlimited Rubicon, stock radios, stock doors, stock electrical for the most part with addons listed below (lights, arb, switchpro, etc)
- No interior LEDs - all interior lights are stock.
- Do have LED tails(MetalCloak with resistors),
- Do have LED headlights(JW speaker with sms harness)
- Do have LED fogs(JW Speakers with Headlight Revolution harnesses)

Things that Changed Prior to Issue:
- Started after I had a Poison Spyder trail cage, synergy bpillar, and poison spyder Cpillar kit installed. Honestly didn't think much of it and figured I had forgot to close a door or had another simple problem and proceeded to install a Switchpros switch panel with a midland handheld cb(already had, just moved to switchpro), oro rock lights, and Arb twin compressor hooked up to it before my next wheeling trip. At that trip I realized it wasn't a small problem and since haven't been able to figure it out.

Troubleshooting:
- Ensured Doors/Tailgate were closed. No open door warning on dash.
- Ensured stem was set to off. If I do turn the lights to the on position on steering wheel stem, the lights do get a tad bit brighter and when I turn them off a tad bit dimmer so I'm assuming there are two circuits providing power and need to figure out what is causing the first circuit to keep the lights on.
- Tried to pull the battery cables and leave them undone for 10min and hook back up, no change.
- Pulling the appropriate fuse does cut the lights off but not a fix.
- Unhooked all addon electrical accessories iteratively to see if I could isolate any of those as an issue and even unplugged the headlights and fogs with no change to the ill behavior. Did not unhook tail lights but I've had those for months.

My inclination is a wire was nicked or is pinched in one of the door harnesses when the cage was put in that allows the computer to think the door is closed but not turn off the lights but I don't know. The shop that installed the cage is willing to diag it but figured I'd ask and see if any of yall had run into this.. Open to ideas/thoughts/suggestions.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

noroad

this might seem stupid but is the light level turned all the way up on the blink / loss door connection as well? best two guess i have.

BigPrince

It is turned off. As mentioned if I do turn it all the way up you can actually see the light get brighter.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Probably not your case, but once I used my procal for my steering and didn't finish the sequence right with the turn signal and my interior and turn signals stayed on.

BigPrince

noroad said:
Do you have a programer? Could u have changed the time limit?

Probably not your case, but once I used my procal for my steering and didn't finish the sequence right with the turn signal and my interior and turn signals stayed on.

wow that's odd. I do have a Diablo Programmer and the Jeep has been programmed for the past 6mo but nothing has been changed since. I actually wanted to deprogram it to eliminate that as a potential issue and found out the ODBII cable I had laying on the dash accidentally got stuck behind the dash when they put the trail cage in so I haven't been able to deprogram it yet. So, I may let the shop that put the cage in get the cable out a deprogram it as an option to try.

Thanks!

fyi - I have tried to run without doors and there is no change to the ill behavior. Lights stay on and don't go out.

BigPrince

for anyone who may find this thread in the future, the shop found a small piece of metal from the cage install that somehow landed on the open circuit board above the middle Dome light that shorted two contacts out. It didn't want to move but once removed, we're all back to normal.

Kalums

Holy cow what a random thing but I'm glad they found and fixed it. 👍

Last edited:
Top Bottom