Cb installation

bigtrucker52

Hey everyone i just bought one of the Cobra 29 model cb radios for my jeep with a 4' firestick antenna, a 30' long coax cable i think, and the rear view mirror cb mount and spare tire carrier cb antenna mounts from rugged ridge last Friday. It should be in today or tomorrow. How did y'all run the wires and is it easy to take off the plastic around the windshield to install the mount and stuff. I'm considering just running the power cord and the coax cable from the cb behind the plastic above the rear view mirror in between it and the windshield to the right and then when i get to the passenger side a pillar running the power cord straight down from there and then unzipping my roll bar padding and putting the coax cable inside that and running it next to the roll bar out back. From there idk how I should get it to the antenna without it being in the way unless i run it through the crack in my soft top window. Any other ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated

bigtrucker52

My battery is on the passenger side as well and i'm pretty sure theres a whole in the firewall somewhere to run the wire through

That windshield channel comes off easy enough, just take your time. As for the back, follow your roll bar down into the cavity behind your tail light. The remove the plastic wire channel on the tailgate and run it right with your factory wiring, thru one of the rubber gromets in the gate, and connect to the antenna.

bigtrucker52

That's what i was thinking about doing but idk how hard it is to get that off though. I have thought all along that that would be the best possible way to do it so it wouldn't damage my coax cable

Hey everyone i just bought one of the Cobra 29 model cb radios for my jeep with a 4' firestick antenna, a 30' long coax cable i think, and the rear view mirror cb mount and spare tire carrier cb antenna mounts from rugged ridge last Friday. It should be in today or tomorrow. How did y'all run the wires and is it easy to take off the plastic around the windshield to install the mount and stuff. I'm considering just running the power cord and the coax cable from the cb behind the plastic above the rear view mirror in between it and the windshield to the right and then when i get to the passenger side a pillar running the power cord straight down from there and then unzipping my roll bar padding and putting the coax cable inside that and running it next to the roll bar out back. From there idk how I should get it to the antenna without it being in the way unless i run it through the crack in my soft top window. Any other ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated

You might want to return your Coax and get a 18' length which is plenty to get from the tailgate to the overhead via the roll cage or the floor. With 30' you might have issues dealing with the extra.

bigtrucker52

You might want to return your Coax and get a 18' length which is plenty to get from the tailgate to the overhead via the roll cage or the floor. With 30' you might have issues dealing with the extra.

Idk how long it is but i think it may be 30 but not sure though

That's what i was thinking about doing but idk how hard it is to get that off though. I have thought all along that that would be the best possible way to do it so it wouldn't damage my coax cable

Its not hard at all to route it that way. Most of the plastic is just snapped together, so be carefull separating it.

bigtrucker52

Told you i'd post some pics of mine after i got it mounted so here they are.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1431908938.819103.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1431908953.610939.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1431908964.115057.jpg

All i have left to do is get a stud for my antenna and antenna mount and then i'll be good to go

Dopey84

Was there any drilling required with the rugged ridge CB mount..? And did it come with all necessary parts to attach the CB?

Eezybreezy08

Was there any drilling required with the rugged ridge CB mount..? And did it come with all necessary parts to attach the CB?

I have the same rugged ridge mount. As far as the rugged ridge went, no drilling. But the mount that comes with the cobra 29 lx is meant for installing on the dash or other parts of the interior, so I had to drill through that mount to fit my rugged ridge, or you can buy the mount separately that works with the rugged ridge hanging CB mount

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
I feel like 30' is way to long I used an 18' and it worked out perfect. I also have the rugged ridge mount but I had to reinforce it cause my CB was to heavy for it. This is my set up. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1459094225.911355.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1459094240.683452.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1459094251.021731.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1459094270.045192.jpg

Dopey84

I was only curious cause it was saying for 07-2010 that it requires drilling of the rivets that hold the footman loop and than used the supplied attachment screws...

JKRicky

I ended up making one. Was going to buy the rugged ridge one but realized it was pretty simple.

I measured and cut some sheet metal I had. Not sure on the thickness. Used an anvil to hammer and make the bends. I drilled some holes and used the freedom panel latch bolts for mounting.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1459103214.541251.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1459103312.084688.jpg

Painted it all black and mounted it up. Has been working great and doesn't move at all. And it was free.

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
I ended up making one. Was going to buy the rugged ridge one but realized it was pretty simple.

I measured and cut some sheet metal I had. Not sure on the thickness. Used an anvil to hammer and make the bends. I drilled some holes and used the freedom panel latch bolts for mounting.

View attachment 194849
View attachment 194850

Painted it all black and mounted it up. Has been working great and doesn't move at all. And it was free.

I did the exact same thing but my CB Is so heavy that it still wasn't strong enough. I would raddle. So I got the rugged ridge and reinforced it with a new bracket I made and man that thing isn't going anywhere now. Not saying I would leave my jeep parked with no doors but if I ever did man thy would have a hard time stealing it haha.

Top Bottom