Wrecked my bumper and fender. Any recommendations for replacing them?

Spudcannons

This weekend I dropped off a ~3' rock and slammed my rear bumper on the way down driving the passenger side of the bumper into the fender and ripping it off(no fender chop option anymore) :doh: I figure I may as well replace the fenders, bumper, and add a tire carrier. Open to any option with a solid departure angle.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
This weekend I dropped off a ~3' rock and slammed my rear bumper on the way down driving the passenger side of the bumper into the fender and ripping it off(no fender chop option anymore) :doh: I figure I may as well replace the fenders, bumper, and add a tire carrier. Open to any option with a solid departure angle.

Why no fender chop option anymore? You just need to get some new clips to replace the broken ones, chop and reinstall. :idontknow:

What kind of budget are you working with on your bumper? LoD makes some good bumpers.

Spudcannons

Why no fender chop option anymore? You just need to get some new clips to replace the broken ones, chop and reinstall. :idontknow:

What kind of budget are you working with on your bumper? LoD makes some good bumpers.

I would not spend more than 3.5k on bumper tire-carrier combo(with rigid lights or something and an electronics panel/controller but those are just frosting) but would love to keep it as reasonable and light as possible since I will be re-gearing and locking my rear axle soon and feel like those are more important. Side note I was quoted 3300 for a gear swap and OX locker install, and 8300 for a ProRock 44 and rear axle re-gear and locker. Good prices?

Spudcannons

Pictures or it didn't happen :cheesy:

I agree with Eddie... Why no fender chop option?

Angled right side of bumper. bent the right corner of the tailgate in a little and hit the back corner. Also regretting not welding in the rock sliders yet.

Attachments

• IMG_20150511_140909.jpg
    IMG_20150511_140909.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_20150511_140922.jpg
    IMG_20150511_140922.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_20150511_140932.jpg
    IMG_20150511_140932.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 174
Damn! That sucks pretty bad... Sorry to see this.

Hopefully the clips will at least save you some coin on fender flares. Are you looking for a bumper or is bumper-less an option?

Spudcannons

Bumperless is a nice looking option but I'm not sure how much I would like to install a body mounted tire carrier. It seems like a lengthy process and hard to fix any mistakes made.

hudginsja

Might look at crawler concepts. I believe their carrier mounts to the factory tailgate hinge. The price is reasonable too if I remember right.

Bumperless is a nice looking option but I'm not sure how much I would like to install a body mounted tire carrier. It seems like a lengthy process and hard to fix any mistakes made.

If you've never used riv-nuts or nutserts I would agree. There is nothing wrong with running a bumper... My wife runs a Rancho bumper and she really likes it. It kind-of offers the best of both worlds. (one hand easy tailgate opening, and bumper-less look.)

They are sponsors here too! :yup:

I'll look for pics.......

Edit to add this... It's all I have at the moment.
IMG_20141025_183213946_HDR.jpg

edit again to add Rancho's picture.... She has this one ->
rancho-rear-bumper-tire-carrier-jack-mount-rs6235b_3152.jpg

Last edited:

Spudcannons

If you've never used riv-nuts or nutserts I would agree. There is nothing wrong with running a bumper... My wife runs a Rancho bumper and she really likes it. It kind-of offers the best of both worlds. (one hand easy tailgate opening, and bumper-less look.)

They are sponsors here too! :yup:

I'll look for pics.......

Edit to add this... It's all I have at the moment.
IMG_20141025_183213946_HDR.jpg

I nutserted the rocker armor so fairly familiar, but I will say they are not my favorite thing to work with. Although it would give me a chance to use my nutsert tool again :thumb: plus they look cool but might be inconvenient for putting the dog in and out of the back.

Spudcannons

"Id say just take off the rear bumper. Not needed!

That sucks though about the damage."

It can probably be covered up by a new rocker skin so im not too sad about it more worried about rust.

I have a Genright and love it. It really isn't hard to use at all once properly aligned (you can see in the far left side of the picture I shared of my wife's Jeep).

If you're cool with nutserts it's hard to go wrong with the EVO carrier. It sure looks like you are playing hard enough to justify it. I don't know how hard it is to get in/out of an EVO.

Spudcannons

I have a Genright and love it. It really isn't hard to use at all once properly aligned (you can see in the far left side of the picture I shared of my wife's Jeep).

If you're cool with nutserts it's hard to go wrong with the EVO carrier. It sure looks like you are playing hard enough to justify it. I don't know how hard it is to get in/out of an EVO.

Aluminum or steel? Do you think the aluminum would hold up to a hit like that?

Aluminum or steel? Do you think the aluminum would hold up to a hit like that?

My carrier is Aluminium. I selected this mostly in an effort to fight the winter salted roads. I have backed (lightly) into a few trees and I dropped off a ledge and barely grabbed the bottom of the tire. So far (knock-on-wood) my carrier has held up well. If I were to buy again, I would still go AL.

I really don't know enough about the EVO carrier to comment, but I don't think there is an AL option.

IBeHeWhoIsJoshua

I feel like GenRight has the best rear bumper as far as coverage and clearance...then looks. If you're looking to save weight they have an aluminum option. I'm torn between theirs and EVO's actual bumper. Looks like you also need to invest in some rocker protection!!

seanb123

I would not spend more than 3.5k on bumper tire-carrier combo(with rigid lights or something and an electronics panel/controller but those are just frosting) but would love to keep it as reasonable and light as possible since I will be re-gearing and locking my rear axle soon and feel like those are more important. Side note I was quoted 3300 for a gear swap and OX locker install, and 8300 for a ProRock 44 and rear axle re-gear and locker. Good prices?

Those prices aren't great. Putting in the axle isn't tough most people could do it. I haven't heard great thing about OX lockers I'd go eaton e locker or arb. I couldn't justify more than 4-500 in labor per axle and that's still high.

Top Bottom