• P-51 Mustang

Votes: 14 56.0%
  • Corsair F4U

Votes: 11 44.0%

• Total voters

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
For those of you who are into old warbirds like me, which would you prefer to fly?

A P-51 Mustang
p-51-mustang-ipad-wallpaper.jpg

Corsair F4U
Warbird-Goodyear-FG-1D-Corsair-BuNo-92844-ZK-COR-03.jpg

Please let us know what your vote would be on our poll :cool:

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Great thread! This is a tough call, but I've always felt the Mustang was slightly more pleasing to the eye, and maybe a little bit faster than the Corsair. I wouldn't kick either one out of my garage/hanger.:thumb:

OK, I just voted.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Actually, depending on the model you're talking about, the Corsair has the Mustang in terms of top speed. :cool:

P-51D Mustang
Maximum Speed: 437 mph

Corsair F4U-4
Maximum Speed: 453 mph

Markymark420

Corsair to fly, but if I was ground crew I would prefer the Mustang. I would imagine that the Merlin engine would be far easier to work on than the Double-Wasp in the F4U.

Nonetheless,I always have been partial to the P38 Lightning myself.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Voted! Didn't even see the Poll with my phone. Haha

right on!! :thumb:

Corsair to fly, but if I was ground crew I would prefer the Mustang. I would imagine that the Merlin engine would be far easier to work on than the Double-Wasp in the F4U.

Nonetheless,I always have been partial to the P38 Lightning myself.

LOL!! now that's a totally different ball of wax :crazyeyes:

Markymark420

Linebacker said:
Oh,oh, stepped on it again.:blush::blush:

Actually, if it makes you feel better, you're partially right.
I would guess that the mustang would have the advantage in most performance categories due due to a lighter airframe.
All carrier based aircraft are inherently heavier to handle the stress of short take offs and landings.

Last edited:

V1rotate

Between the two the Mustang wins my vote hands down its a pilots airplane. There is however a reason Dick Bong had more kills in WWII than any other pilot and it's not just because the P-38 looks fast on the ground.

Last edited:

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Between the two the Mustang wins my vote hands down its a pilots airplane. There is however a reason Dick Bong had more kills in WWII than any other pilot and it's not just because the P-38 looks fast on the ground.

I love the P-38, but I understand because it was primarily built for the warmer Pacific theatre it didn't have a cockpit heater when introduced in Europe. My 1948 CJ-2A didn't either. Brrrrrhh!!

Robar

The Enforcer
Corsair F4U. Watch that fly on "Baa Baa Black Sheep" every week growing up. Even had a model air plane of a Corsair F4U.

Top Bottom