Jeep Does Not Drive Straight

tonytony9

I just want everyone to know that I do understand that it is a "jeep" and that highway performance is not its forte. But recently, it is starting to get ridicules.

I bought my 09 Jk unlimited X about a year and a half ago and have loved it greatly.

In December of 2014 I did these things to my rig: Hankook Dynapro ATM 295/70/17 Tires, New Steering stabilizer, new tie rod end/drag link, Serviced front differential (@114k) - Everything was done at a reputable shop (except differential that was done by myself)

I am currently at 119K....

Recently I have noticed it is very hard to keep my jeep straight at highway speeds (I will double check this tomorrow, but I think it wonders to either side a little around town as well. Have to double check). I have to constantly correct my rig and it really does feel like it wanders from side to side on the highway. Then going straight it seems like the wheel has to be held at an angel just to go straight.

I never actually checked my tire PSI after I got the new tires (figured the shop filled it correctly). I went out to check that today and my tires are filled way to high (about 40psi all around :mad: ). I am going to deflate them to 30 psi tomorrow and see how it does.

I have not rotated my tires in about 5k miles either so I am going to try that this weekend.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Summer is coming and I don't want to have anymore exhausting trips down the shore :beer::clap2: !

Oh, by the way, I have had 1.5 inch wheel spacers on since about 110k miles. I am going to check them out when I rotate my tires this weekend. But I doubt it has anything to do with the spacers.

List of Things to Be Checked (As Suggested By Forum Members/Myself):
*Ball Joints
*Adjust Tire Pressure
*Give Tires a Rotate/Check On Wheel Spacers

Last edited:

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
Tire pressure should help. I don't see ball joints listed as replaced. If that's the case, I would definitely check them out. With that many miles, if they are original, they are most likely shot.

tonytony9

Tire pressure should help. I don't see ball joints listed as replaced. If that's the case, I would definitely check them out. With that many miles, if they are original, they are most likely shot.

I will check that out. If they are shot, any benefits to replacing with non mopar? Any recommendations?

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
I will check that out. If they are shot, any benefits to replacing with non mopar? Any recommendations?

Dynatrac would be my first recommendation, but they are pricey. Depending on how long you plan on keeping you Jeep, might be an option worth looking at.

Aside from Dynatrac, I would look closely at Alloy USA and Moog. Both are considerbaly better options than Mopar joints.

tonytony9

Dynatrac would be my first recommendation, but they are pricey. Depending on how long you plan on keeping you Jeep, might be an option worth looking at.

Aside from Dynatrac, I would look closely at Alloy USA and Moog. Both are considerbaly better options than Mopar joints.

I am looking at keeping it throughout college and then once I graduate rebuilding whenever anything breaks and turning it into a monster haha. Hopefully buying a daily driver as well. All in a perfect world.

gtony12

Caught the Bug
What type of steering stabilizer did you get, heard allot of people say they can cause keep to pull one way or another? Maybe others will have more.

tonytony9

What type of steering stabilizer did you get, heard allot of people say they can cause keep to pull one way or another? Maybe others will have more.

My dad insisted on us trying to add a new mopar steering stabilizer back when we were trying to fix death wobble. Mine was shot, like not functioning haha. Didn't do anything just like I thought.

Haven't heard of that but I will look into it. Thank you.

txjeeplover

Part of the issue is that your spacers are creating a negative offset which naturally affects your steering. A good alignment tech who is familiar with modified 4WD vehicles can sometimes correct the issue in the alignment, but moving away from zero offset to negative offset wheels is bound to cause the steering to behave in a slightly odd manner. Ideally you should get a wider wheel that brings you back to zero offset.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Part of the issue is that your spacers are creating a negative offset which naturally affects your steering. A good alignment tech who is familiar with modified 4WD vehicles can sometimes correct the issue in the alignment, but moving away from zero offset to negative offset wheels is bound to cause the steering to behave in a slightly odd manner. Ideally you should get a wider wheel that brings you back to zero offset.

I have wheel spacers and have zero issues.

tonytony9

I will look into this, thank you.

MurderedJK

My guess would be Ball Joints...

I have the Synergy ball joints and I love them. But when its time for replacement I'll probably go with the Crown HD ball joints which are grease-able and appear to be the same as the Synergy/Alloy USA. One good thing about Alloy is the 5yr warranty.

JDDK

Prosteers Fixed DW on my 09jku. Synergys lasted 10k. Also check unit bearings. Do planman's shovel test on each wheel.

Pyro1415

Never get a steering stabilizer to fix death wobble!!!! that just hides whats broken... anyways what lift are you running and make sure your wheel are perpendicular to the road you might have bent c's or tubes... I asked lift because your axle might not be wheel at the right angle.

Top Bottom